List Mgmt. Players under the pump 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we stop having expectations on Broadbent? It’s killing me, the guy is approaching 30, has t played for two seasons, reoccurring ankle injury, put a fork in him, he’s done.

As much as I would like to see him play for the power again, I tend to agree with you.

Guys like Bonner and DBJ are clearly ahead of him. The recruitment of Burton and Mayes definitely hasn’t helped. Given he has been out for two years, he would be behind the pace of the game now.

Unfortunately he is just a depth player these days, who will probably not attract any trade offers. It wouldn’t surprise me if he is “retired” once his contract is up.

As much as I would like to see him play for the power again, I tend to agree with you.

Guys like Bonner and DBJ are clearly ahead of him. The recruitment of Burton and Mayes definitely hasn’t helped. Given he has been out for two years, he would be behind the pace of the game now.

Unfortunately he is just a depth player these days, who will probably not attract any trade offers. It wouldn’t surprise me if he is “retired” once his contract is up.

It may be controversial but his form before injury was average I thought.

Can we stop having expectations on Broadbent? It’s killing me, the guy is approaching 30, has t played for two seasons, reoccurring ankle injury, put a fork in him, he’s done.

In my reality he is 28, younger than Rockliff, Ebert and the same age as Hartlett. When he stops presenting for the AFL side based on form as he is currently doing, I might go searching for that fork.

Guys like Bonner and DBJ are clearly ahead of him.

Seriously? Bonner and DBJ clearly ahead based on what. I'd rather have him, his 161 games of experience and his ability to kick to a target than current form Bonner 8 days a week. He should have been dropped weeks ago. DBJ needs a shove from SPP to know where to put himself defensively. By what criteria are they clearly ahead of him? Hair follicles?

Maybe Hinkley is thinking the way you are. But when has that ever been anything to be proud of?

What!!!! When? 😂 My mind is closed with Broady.

Well, there was that time you wanted to trade Westhoff and Jonas along with Broadbent in 2016...

He's 28, the same age as Hartlett, and plays a position where we've got a lot of scope for players to be replaced.

He's been pretty good in the SANFL. I'd suggest if he eventually makes his way in for the likes of DBJ or Bonner, they'll struggle to get their spot back.

I believe that when the game descends into less about run and carry and more about making decisions under pressure, that’s when we will need the likes of Broadbent and Hartlett.

In a final when the pressure is hottest, there’s no way I’d be trusting Byrne-Jones and Bonner. They need more experience and need to become better one on one defenders. Especially if we are taking Howard in.

Of course, my opinion is open to change. The more he performs under pressure, the more I can see the value of having Bonner and Burton in the side vs Broadbent and Burton (assuming Hartlett will take Byrne-Jones’ spot).

Westhoff

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Westhoff, is inconsistent but has a role, it's about expectations. Once again, people get pissed at the under performance of this club over 14 years but refuse defend consistently players inside it. I have no issue with any of these senior players going if it helps push us further up the ladder.

Well, there was that time you wanted to trade Westhoff and Jonas along with Broadbent in 2016...

Not sure on Jonas. I did definitely throw up Westhoff, Broadbent and I reckon I have thrown up Robbie Gray too. So far I'm right as they haven't delivered what we want.

I have watched all the Magpies games and Broadbent is beginning to look like a possibility again. He's moving better and I'm not convinced he's slowed down yet but he's got to make the side this year to have a chance of prolonging his career, otherwise FishingRick04 will be right. So he's under the pump.

Broadbent is definitely a more composed player than DBJ and Bonner. We also have Hartlett though, and I'd be thinking that he is expected to return to AFL level form at some stage. The question is can we have the mix of Hartlett, Broadbent, Houston, and Jonas along with Howard and Clurey in the backline without Bonner and DBJ? What if Watts was playing as well?

I have question marks on DBJ and Bonner both being able to be part of the same premiership team. Remembering that Bonner is currently our only left-footer in the side and I wonder if a premiership team needs one left-footer and more.

For me I'm still hoping that we find better players than Jonas (which will spark controversy), Bonner, S Gray and DBJ.

In my view the players under the pump in our current side are S Gray and DBJ but in Hinkley's mind the player under the pump is Marshall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under the pump in order due to lack of form, age/injuries etc.:

1. Hewett - has done nothing of note in several years
2. Broadbent - age/injuries
3. Trengove - age 27 and cannot break into the seniors
4. Atley - cannot break into the seniors - trade
5. Frampton- cannot break into the seniors - trade
6. Johnson - age 22 and others can fill the same small forward role - trade

I know I'm gonna end up having a whinge when Frampton gets the arse but I wouldn't delist him for not breaking into the 22 just yet.
All we'd be doing is drafting another tall that would take 5 years to develop and we'd be back to square one. That tall would also probably come late in the draft so they wouldn't have the raw talent of someone like Marshall.

I'd replace Atley with McKenzie (Atley is contracted until 2020, for one thing), otherwise agree. Amon could also be in some trouble if he's not able to recapture the form he showed in the preseason.

Not sure on Jonas. I did definitely throw up Westhoff, Broadbent and I reckon I have thrown up Robbie Gray too. So far I'm right as they haven't delivered what we want.

You can trust me...I made sure to check first :)

In my reality he is 28, younger than Rockliff, Ebert and the same age as Hartlett. When he stops presenting for the AFL side based on form as he is currently doing, I might go searching for that fork.

Seriously? Bonner and DBJ clearly ahead based on what. I'd rather have him, his 161 games of experience and his ability to kick to a target than current form Bonner 8 days a week. He should have been dropped weeks ago. DBJ needs a shove from SPP to know where to put himself defensively. By what criteria are they clearly ahead of him? Hair follicles?

Maybe Hinkley is thinking the way you are. But when has that ever been anything to be proud of?

Broady hasn’t played a meaningful AFL minute for like... 2 years? This is like when weirdos were counting Jarrad Redden as missing from our first 22 for all of 2014. Once you’ve missed that much time, yep, you’re behind the guys who have been in the team for the entirety of your extremely lengthy absence. Not writing him off, I love the guy and it would be great to see him work his way back, but he simply cannot be counted on to return to his previous self, in any reasonable analysis.

Meh he's replaceable, basically any senior player I have no attachment too.

Every player is replaceable. That's the point. You want your best team out of the field each week - making sweeping judgement statements about players that still can make valuable contributions is poor. It's the performance of Broadbent in the SANFL that keeps Bonner on his toes. It's no surprise that Riley had his best performance for the year as soon as Matthew had a couple of weeks of solid form.

Atley trade is a horrible call. Everything else is fine.

I'm delisting in this order:

1. Hewett - Rookie list
2. McKenzie
3. Trengove
4. Broadbent
5. AJ
6. Frampton

Changes to my thoughts include:
- Drew who has come from the clouds this year to show more than he ever even promised. He is now in no danger, and should be persisted with until his form drops off, and by then hopefully Atley is on fire and we can give him a crack.
- Amon, never thought I'd say this about Amon, but he's been really good this year and looking like an important part of the team. He should be offered an extension. Hopefully he chooses to stay and not seek a trade.
- Tobin Cox, he's a smart footballer. Incredibly good for his size 1:1 in the air. I'm not sure he's got the pace or overall attributes to make it at the top level, but I think he's been impressive enough to earn a second year.
- Ladhams was questionable, but has hit a new level this year and absolutely worth persevering with. He's basically sealed Framptons fate, as with Hayes and Ladhams ready to go, a 3rd ruck that isn't very good in ruck, and isn't very good up forward makes no sense to keep around.

Broadbent played 15 games in 2017 and the last game was Rd 19. That's not 2 full seasons.

He hasn't had "reoccurring ankle injury."

He went under the knife in 2017/18 preseason for his right ankle after Wingard knocked him out kicking the footy into his head at training late in 2017 and he fell awkwardly across his ankle.
https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-02-13/broadbent-undergoes-surgery

He then got a stress fracture in his bloody toe in his right foot after 2 games back in the SANFL July last year. Yes he did roll the other ankle in that game at Woodville Oval and I watched him come off in pain.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-11/power-defender-broadbent-ruled-out-for-rest-of-season

Yes he was managed during the preseason, but he has played every game for the Magpies this year, so no ongoing issue with his ankle, ankles or toe.

Broadbent played 15 games in 2017 and the last game was Rd 19. That's not 2 full seasons.

He hasn't had "reoccurring ankle injury."

He went under the knife in 2017/18 preseason for his right ankle after Wingard knocked him out kicking the footy into his head at training late in 2017 and he fell awkwardly across his ankle.
https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-02-13/broadbent-undergoes-surgery

He then got a stress fracture in his bloody toe in his right foot after 2 games back in the SANFL July last year. Yes he did roll the other ankle in that game at Woodville Oval and I watched him come off in pain.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-11/power-defender-broadbent-ruled-out-for-rest-of-season

Yes he was managed during the preseason, but he has played every game for the Magpies this year, so no ongoing issue with his ankle, ankles or toe.
He missed 1 game with hamstring soreness I think.

Another game he was on the bench for a lot of the 2nd half due to a limp which I reckon had something to do with his ankle. Was still right to go the week after though and showed no bad signs vs Norwood last game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back