List Mgmt. Players under the pump 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He missed 1 game with hamstring soreness I think.

Another game he was on the bench for a lot of the 2nd half due to a limp which I reckon had something to do with his ankle. Was still right to go the week after though and showed no bad signs vs Norwood last game.
That was a preseason game.

I reckon the only thing that saved him is that he's in that age bracket where we don't have a ton of players.
I think I recall wanting to delist Hewett at the end of 2017 and keeping Palmer (same age, 20) for another year because he showed improvement going into the middle and Hewett didn't.

I think it's too early to say Amon isn't 'under the pump' anymore.

He had a strong start to the season, but ultimately that resulted in nothing more than one good AFL game before he got injured. If he gets back into the side and continues along the same vein of form that he showed pre-injury then yes, of course he'll be offered a new contract and rightly so, but that's still an if at this stage.

He had a strong start to the season, but ultimately that resulted in nothing more than one good AFL game before he got injured. If he gets back into the side and continues along the same vein of form that he showed pre-injury then yes, of course he'll be offered a new contract and rightly so, but that's still an if at this stage.
Even then he might realise he's still on the outer with Ken and will want to try his hand at getting traded again while he now has greater worth.

Under the pump in order due to lack of form, age/injuries etc.:

1. Hewett - has done nothing of note in several years
2. Broadbent - age/injuries
3. Trengove - age 27 and cannot break into the seniors
4. Atley - cannot break into the seniors - trade
5. Frampton- cannot break into the seniors - trade
6. Johnson - age 22 and others can fill the same small forward role - trade

Atley is a horrible call

Last year was a write off with a back injury

He is racking up 25+ touches every week in the sanfl and I don’t think he is close to fit yet.

Johnson has been in pretty damn good form this year and the coaches agree I’m sure he has been emergency now a few times. Still he has been on the list a while so his time could be running out but we’ve got cuts to make before we get to him and I doubt we go deep in the 2019 draft.

Atley is a horrible call

Last year was a write off with a back injury

He is racking up 25+ touches every week in the sanfl and I don’t think he is close to fit yet.

Johnson has been in pretty damn good form this year and the coaches agree I’m sure he has been emergency now a few times. Still he has been on the list a while so his time could be running out but we’ve got cuts to make before we get to him and I doubt we go deep in the 2019 draft.
That could be a good point. We might use our 1st, and maybe a 2nd pick, before Mead, but that might be it. So we may well go easy on the cuts.

As far as I recall though, we did rejig our list to go 40 & 4, rather than 38 & 6 this year though, so we could make a few delistings before we even needed to add anyone to the main list.

What will be interesting to watch is the mid year draft and if we have anyone in mind, which could mix things up.

Sweeping calls Janus clearly I wouldn't expect all of them to be gone in one hit unless we are going for a full rebound. I stand by it, the players have delivered us disappointed, if the coach is culpable, so are they.

As for Broadbent, I agree he applies pressure up the food chain, he's a reliable player but I still think our list is moving past him. If he could have been an influential midfielder maybe. (perhaps I can't forgive him for that point he kicked against Carlton)!

Even then he might realise he's still on the outer with Ken and will want to try his hand at getting traded again while he now has greater worth.
If he gets games he'll be shown not on the outer. Ken is still overly loyal to his (non-tall) players. Once in, it's often too hard to get out of the side. Amon I think would be a good in to restore our inside (slow) / outside (fast) balance to closer to optimal, but I think he's stuck waiting on an injury or really poor run by someone.

Yeah you’d think Frampton, Trengove and McKenzie will all be delisted at this rate.

Broadbent if he doesn’t get a game soon might follow them sadly.

Fair call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broady hasn’t played a meaningful AFL minute for like... 2 years? This is like when weirdos were counting Jarrad Redden as missing from our first 22 for all of 2014. Once you’ve missed that much time, yep, you’re behind the guys who have been in the team for the entirety of your extremely lengthy absence. Not writing him off, I love the guy and it would be great to see him work his way back, but he simply cannot be counted on to return to his previous self, in any reasonable analysis.

Oh don't get me started on Redden. Inanimate Carbon rods have way more value...

From what I saw preseason, and what I have read about his performances in the maggies, my reasoned analysis is that he is a fair way back towards his previous self already. IMO Bonner and DBJ have gone backwards compared to their form in 2017. Again I ask, how have they gone past him? What do they provide that Broady couldn't? He is a better kick, mark and is more experienced. He may not be as fit and therefore may not provide the same run but I am only basing this on speculation over his preparation for this season and nothing more. He is not be the lock down defender DBJ is.

What do DBJ and Bonner bring to the current side that make them better overall choices? IF you had said Houston and Burton I would concede without a murmur. but the other two are living life on the edge and right now Lienert and Broadbent would be the two that would replace them on form.

From what I saw preseason, and what I have read about his performances in the maggies, my reasoned analysis is that he is a fair way back towards his previous self already. IMO Bonner and DBJ have gone backwards compared to their form in 2017. Again I ask, how have they gone past him? What do they provide that Broady couldn't? He is a better kick, mark and is more experienced. He may not be as fit and therefore may not provide the same run but I am only basing this on speculation over his preparation for this season and nothing more. He is not be the lock down defender DBJ is.

What do DBJ and Bonner bring to the current side that make them better overall choices? IF you had said Houston and Burton I would concede without a murmur. but the other two are living life on the edge and right now Lienert and Broadbent would be the two that would replace them on form.

They provide more run and carry to start. I’d suggest more defensive pressure also.

Broady overhead yes, kicking yes, I’d suggest it’s a marginal call depending on what’s more important.

I hope he can come back to his best, but either my memory is fading fast, but his 2017 wasn’t that inspiring pre injury.

I think you could be on to something about Broady ultimately replacing Bonner. That’s probably a net gain. Overall I think you’ve underestimated how much footy he needs/needed to get under the belt before he’s a viable consideration at AFL level, I can imagine the coaching and fitness staff probably would like to see 6-8 games before he gets a crack. He’s come from a long way back.

DBJ I think we agree on. I’m a bit higher on him that almost everyone here as it is. Think he has a big point of difference against our other defenders. Just needs to tighten up his disposal which has been poor at (crucial) times this year.

I see all points. I just think it is foolish to write him off due to age or a long layoff with injury. Yeah he needs to prove himself and yeah he finds it hard with Hartlett Lienert and Burton all realistically upgrades. Mayes more likely goes to the Wing and I am not convinced Burton should be locked in as a defender.

However Broadbent has done everything right so far and experience does count in a young defense that has lots a lot of close games. His form before his injury can't really be taken into account. We don't know if he was carrying it and our defense as a whole was struggling.

Pittard is the poster boy for run and carry not being the be all and end all. And Jack Watts showed in one game what a difference smart disposal can do from the back lines.

After several more decent performances Broadbent slots straight in and provides options for other players to potentially show their wares in other positions. Something that should be considered because we don't have settled wings or a settled forward line at the moment. Right now I believe Burton would be a better option on a wing than Westhoff.

For mine, these are the six

1. Hewett - Rookie list
2. McKenzie
3. Trengove
4. Broadbent
5. AJ
6. Frampton

I would also add that Amon, Ladhams and Garner all need to keep performing. Patmore, Watts and Dixon will need big 2020s.

We are in an interesting space. Our revival has been lead by Boak and Rockliff, Gray and Westhoff have really struggled this year, we have a good crop of young players who need and deserve games, we need to push for finals and we have a senior group of players with long term injuries and little idea how they will recover from them - Hartlett, Broadbent, Dixon and Watts. Will be interesting to see how the list managers approach this.

The question is what do the potential delisted provide?

Is it the promise of potential, ie Amon, Garner, etc? Or perhaps having an experienced head like Broadbent/McKenzie in your backline at SANFL allows Grundy, Frederick, etc to develop? Maybe the same for Trengove in the midfield.

As Janus and others have alluded to, having strong performances below has lead to strong performances above. Our best SANFL form has usually been when we have the most experienced side and that has usually coincided with AFL finals.

We also need some AFL ready players. Atley, Amon, etc probably cover the midfield so less of a need for ‘older’ mids like Trengove. Hartlett and Broadbent haven’t shown much yet but should be ready to cover an injury at some point during the year and Garner is not ready for AFL yet. Ladhams is still more ruck for me so Frampton probably gets a reprieve but if we did snag Cox or Hayes has some good form, he probably goes.

Going to throw it out there.

I think Hartlett should be added to the list.

Already struggled for agility, power and speed prior to his knee. Will he have the athleticism to compete? Bit like Broadbent, will the game pass him by? Will his body actually get right to be able to play at all?

He is tough as nails and a great kick but so are Lienert and Burton. Watts and Bonner provide speed and a good kick as well. We lack a good shut down small defender, but Hartlett isn’t that.

On a side note, it’s awesome that the guys ‘under the pump’ are stepping up and making list management really difficult.

Due to age and injuries only:
Robbie
Charlie
Broady
Paddy

Due to not having the ability:
Hewett

Due to lacking the killer instinct to harness their ability:
AJ

Due to not being on Ken's Xmas card list::
Billy
McKenzie

Right now Aidyn Johnson would have to be the most under the pump player on our list

Hasn’t established himself yet

Came back to training looking unfit

Hasn’t made the side yet this year

We’ve added a few front half players

It’s a pity because he has speed skills and hits people hard. He is a player type we need and is hard to find. But if he can’t develop we need to turn players over harder

(Hewett notncounted as most under the pump because I don’t expect anything from him other than to be gone at end of year)

Huge turning point happening down at Alberton.

I reckon Ryder, Westhoff, Amon, Atley, Mayes, Johnson, Broadbent, Trengove, Sutcliffe, McKenzie and Hewett's futures are all uncertain.

Some are fighting for their list spot, some will probs request a trade, some are finished.

Huge turning point happening down at Alberton.

I reckon Ryder, Westhoff, Amon, Atley, Mayes, Johnson, Broadbent, Trengove, Sutcliffe, McKenzie and Hewett's futures are all uncertain.

Some are fighting for their list spot, some will probs request a trade, some are finished.

Not a bad thing really, I think Westhoff and Ryder have something left, but doesn't hurt to have to fight for a spot. Good to see the days of the golden ticket are over.

Right now Aidyn Johnson would have to be the most under the pump player on our list

Hasn’t established himself yet

Came back to training looking unfit

Hasn’t made the side yet this year

We’ve added a few front half players

It’s a pity because he has speed skills and hits people hard. He is a player type we need and is hard to find. But if he can’t develop we need to turn players over harder

(Hewett notncounted as most under the pump because I don’t expect anything from him other than to be gone at end of year)

I see what you did there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back