anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
With our recruiting being ever so much better in recent years, there will be players who have been at the club for some time now who will be under the pump.It will be shape up or ship out time for some.
One I see in that light is Connor Blakely.
His season last year was far from impressive.especially the latter part.He looked disinterested.Maybe it was because of the rumours that were doing the rounds.I don't know.
But his start to this season has been less than impressive.He began training with a group that involved Cox, Cater and a couple of others.From what I saw, they were all behind the rest of the group fitness wise and maybe dedication wise.
His performance against Carlton was hardly his best either.Hios disposal was very ordinary and to me looked a bit disinterested.
Any others see him as under the pump?

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
With our recruiting being ever so much better in recent years, there will be players who have been at the club for some time now who will be under the pump.It will be shape up or ship out time for some.
His season last year was far from impressive.especially the latter part.He looked disinterested.Maybe it was because of the rumours that were doing the rounds.I don't know.
But his start to this season has been less than impressive.He began training with a group that involved Cox, Cater and a couple of others.From what I saw, they were all behind the rest of the group fitness wise and maybe dedication wise.
His performance against Carlton was hardly his best either.Hios disposal was very ordinary and to me looked a bit disinterested.

No

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why is Blakely under the pump after one pre-season game?

The players whose contract expires at the end of this season should be the ones under pressure. I hope our club don't extend anyone until the end of the season. Make the playing group work harder and do this to create extra selection competition.

Matera has failed to come on as a leader of any sort at the club and turns 28 next week. He had a good year last year - but will need to replicate that year and more for mine. We have a good pool who can play his role on the list.

On that same list I think; North, Banfield, Schultz, Carter, Watson and O'Reilly are the others who may need to earn a new contract from their performances. I see the rest definitely being required.

No excuse season for McCarthy either.

Outside of 2020 contracted players, Darcy is someone who would want to fix his footy IQ. Not his fault, but has a lot of pressure on his shoulders given our ruck situation.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

From the outside its hard to say who the club rates and doesn't but I think Blakely will be fine.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Yeah heaps I reckon.

So many who are kind of ok but not really shown any consistent flashes of being anything more than a C grader or borderline best 22 in a non-finals team

Schultz, Bewley, Banfield, Crowden, Switkowski, Colyer

Then some who clearly have the capability for good games at AFL level and could be best-22 in a finals team but you'd really actually like someone a bit more reliable or more consistent

Then I kind of have the group of Conca, Matera and Blakely who all have their own issues. I think each are currently within our best 22. Conca is reliable but lacking a position where he's clearly in the best 6-7, Matera simply kicks goals but is pretty inconsistent, Blakely one who is clearly a good B grade mid but could very quickly be overtaken.

To be perfectly honest, I hold absolutely zero hopes for the first group of players. They are foot soldiers at best, and a type of player we hopefully see less of with the end of the Ross era. At best you can carry 2 defensive forward types in a 22, and they have to actually kick goals as well - ours haven't for a while now.

Talls are a bit of a different story especially with the Hogan thing. It is so ******* hard to get good ones that even good clubs have to make do with the ones they have for a large part. Tabs/Cam Mac not going to be world-beaters at this stage but if we are serious about manufacturing a plan which suits them (rather than making them fit into a system that doesn't) then they can work.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crowden and Giro are both contracted for 2021 which means that will be "safe". Lucky but safe.

North is so under the pump, the poor guy hardly even gets mentioned in a thread about who is under the pump.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crowden and Giro are both contracted for 2021 which means that will be "safe". Lucky but safe.

North is so under the pump, the poor guy hardly even gets mentioned in a thread about who is under the pump.
Crowden is safe because he is awesome at football, not because of luck.

I was genuinely surprised that North made it into this year. Not unhappy though.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think there are a couple of list change groups or types but not a heap under pressure as such.
  • out of contract and out of time. That could include the likes of North, Schultz and Banfield. They need to have good seasons to earn more time. I guess McCarthy is in this group too.
  • potential trades for out of contract players. With the way our list is there could be an area we need to enhance either by trade or draft. That means looking at decent players with some trade value. Names I would include here are Cox and Blakely. A deal including a pick and a player like them but that gets us Tilthorpe would be tempting. Or a trade for someone like Taylor.
  • similar to the previous group, but players we really need to keep are some required players who may be targeted. I think both Cerra and Darcy could have suitors, and in the end it is a scenario that we know a bit too well, but have benefited from. Maybe Ryan is in this group too. But these guys are on long contracts and we need big trades.
  • retirees. That man Mundy could pull the pin. Always knew he was a weak armed quitter who would never make it.
Maybe just 3 or 4 changes.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
I don't think OP is too harsh tbh. We're getting close to a point where all of AB/Cerra/Serong/Tucker/Acres/Aish will have overtaken Blakely in the midfield rotation and he just isn't polished enough to play anywhere else with great effect. I'm not even sure that he's better than Conca. His longterm fit looks a bit shaky to me; we've simply recruited better versions of him in recent drafts while he hasn't come on as hoped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
These 2 amongst others, but for totally different reasons.

Dixon, I think is a great talent but he has to commit to his career.

Valente, a future leader in the Shannon Hurn mould, but has to get on the park. If he battles again this year, he could only be rookied next season at best, if at all.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crowden is safe because he is awesome at football, not because of luck.

I was genuinely surprised that North made it into this year. Not unhappy though.
You have to turn over at least 4 players a season. Mundy and North will take up 2 spots (you would think).

Rught now, with 22 games to go (we all hope for more), Giro and Crowden would be in the mix for the last 2 spots if not for their contract status.

Simply on the midfield depth we are building and their inability to establish themselves. It's not about whether they are objectively of AFL quality.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think OP is too harsh tbh. We're getting close to a point where all of AB/Cerra/Serong/Tucker/Acres/Aish will have overtaken Blakely in the midfield rotation and he just isn't polished enough to play anywhere else with great effect. I'm not even sure that he's better than Conca. His longterm fit looks a bit shaky to me; we've simply recruited better versions of him in recent drafts while he hasn't come on as hoped.
Conca is a better footballer than Blakely.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Blakely turned to s**t really quick. A few years ago he was looking like he was going to be a star.

North should get a run eventually. List clogger otherwise

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Theres a few.....

Dixon: only has played one game... Admitedly against Port in the last round of 2019. Funny thing was back in 2015, a guy like tanner smith got a 1 year extension at the end of 2015 on the back of a game vs Port at Adelaide oval.

Cam McCarthy: Has struggled and is out of contract. Could be cut at the end of this season. I really hope he has a good 30-35 goal season this year.

Breannan Cox: Out of contract this year as well. Can play as CHF or CHB. Both SA clubs are looking at him and I fear he might leave and head back to SA.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
You have to turn over at least 4 players a season. Mundy and North will take up 2 spots (you would think).

Rught now, with 22 games to go (we all hope for more), Giro and Crowden would be in the mix for the last 2 spots if not for their contract status.

Simply on the midfield depth we are building and their inability to establish themselves. It's not about whether they are objectively of AFL quality.
Acutally you have to turn over 3 spots minimum each year.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t forget the NGA Academy kids on our list and more coming through.

We’ll need to rookie the ones we have, if we are keeping them to allow new one into the nga spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back