Players who’ve say played 7+ games for their team during season should get medal if team wins GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What are your thoughts on the idea that if a player has played say around a third of the games for their team in any given year and their team happens to win the GF, that they too should be awarded a medal?

I can’t help but feel so sorry for the players that get injured right before the granny and can’t play but have contributed to their team’s success during the year. (Or happen to get dropped but have contributed all year).

It takes a lot of work to get to GF day and those players who’ve contributed should also be recognised in my opinion.

It's a nice gesture but frankly wouldn't mean much to the players who missed out. If it was me it would get put to the sock draw as more a reminder of missing out.

It's what makes a premiership medal so precious - they aren't easy to get.
Yeah but still they know they’ve contributed all year. If it wasn’t for some of these guys’ efforts their team may not have made it in the first place. I reckon it’s a good thing.

s**t idea.
Completely and utterly disagree. Imagine one of your key players (idk say Zorko or Neale) busts their gut week in week out to help your team win but sustains an injury in the prelim. Now Brisbane go on to win the GF. Tell me how it’s fair that only the players that run out on the day get acknowledged? What if the injured player was actually instrumental in getting your team into the grand final in the first place.

Regardless of what the players may or may not feel about it being REAL or FAKE - in my opinion it’s a mark of respect to acknowledge their contribution.

Completely and utterly disagree. Imagine one of your key players (idk say Zorko or Neale) busts their gut week in week out to help your team win but sustains an injury in the prelim. Now Brisbane go on to win the GF. Tell me how it’s fair that only the players that run out on the day get acknowledged? What if the injured player was actually instrumental in getting your team into the grand final in the first place.

Regardless of what the players may or may not feel about it being REAL or FAKE - in my opinion it’s a mark of respect to acknowledge their contribution.
What if say Taylor or Cutler, an average player whos played just enough to qualify but played them in the first half of the season... Players dont want a medal if they haven't played in a Premiership, its as simple as that.

What if say Taylor or Cutler, an average player whos played just enough to qualify but played them in the first half of the season... Players dont want a medal if they haven't played in a Premiership, its as simple as that.
I don’t know.

But what I do know is that it takes more than just 22 guys to win the premiership. Maybe the number of games played should 15+ but I think the regular contributors all year should be acknowledged.

Obviously it’s never gonna happen but I think the concept has merit.

Yeah I understand your point. The premiership is about the entire season, not just the game itself. I felt NN, Gaff, Shep were at least almost as deserving of a premiership medal. I wouldn't mind it if they did get a medal, they played a role, but I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a strong advocate. You can make reasons for or against.

Should be if they've played a game in the finals. During the season would mean s**t all to the players in question, however a Jack Graham who was integral in his side going through to the GF despite playing injured should be awarded with some sort of recognition for their efforts.
If a player has contributed that much to the team's success that they need to be recognised on the day, then the coach can take off his own and get the player up on the damn podium. You feel me?

If a player has contributed that much to the team's success that they need to be recognised on the day, then the coach can take off his own and get the player up on the damn podium. You feel me?
Haha. Yeah was waiting for that one but it should be the player’s own medal not the coach’s. (But you knew that 😉).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind it OP.

From a Richmond perspective, if we win on Saturday Jack Graham could take a lot of credit for getting us there.

I'm pretty sure the NFL gives Super Bowl rings to the whole roster. Not that we should necessarily copy everything from the States, but there's a precedent.

Don't mind it OP.

From a Richmond perspective, if we win on Saturday Jack Graham could take a lot of credit for getting us there.

I'm pretty sure the NFL gives Super Bowl rings to the whole roster. Not that we should necessarily copy everything from the States, but there's a precedent.

I believe they do (and I think NBA too). But I’m not saying whole club but def main contributors.

Don't mind it OP.

Champions league gets about 40 medals to hand out including many non players I believe.

I think every player on an AFL list should get a participation trophy and there should be no scores kept and no winners or losers. The two teams to play in the grand final should be chosen at random, with modifiers depending on how diverse their lists are in terms of gender and race. The winner shall be decided by a panel of climate change campaigners and social justice warriors.

I think every player on an AFL list should get a participation trophy and there should be no scores kept and no winners or losers. The two teams to play in the grand final should be chosen at random, with modifiers depending on how diverse their lists are in terms of gender and race. The winner shall be decided by a panel of climate change campaigners and social justice warriors.
Oh my god. I was just going to suggest all of that. You read my mind. You’re so clever.

What are your thoughts on the idea that if a player has played say around a third of the games for their team in any given year and their team happens to win the GF, that they too should be awarded a medal?

I can’t help but feel so sorry for the players that get injured right before the granny and can’t play but have contributed to their team’s success during the year. (Or happen to get dropped but have contributed all year).

It takes a lot of work to get to GF day and those players who’ve contributed should also be recognised in my opinion.
Nup

That's life. No play no medal

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imagine if one of your best players say Zorko or Neale didn't play their best game in the GF and ended up costing you the win. Can't predict hypotheticals and facts were they didn't play in the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back