Players who’ve say played 7+ games for their team during season should get medal if team wins GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have no skin in this game and I can never imagine the joy of winning a premiership, nor the pain of missing out.

Following on from my previous post, should injustice and 'that's life' be part of the value of a premiership medal? Should we award premiership medals to players who played a certain number of games in a premiership year and leave it up to the player how much they value their medal (real, not real etc)?

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
It's just a bloody medal at the end of the day. Some players have special cabinets in their houses to display all this stuff. And plenty have absolutely nothing in the house/shed or have it stored in boxes. Significance of a medal is close to ZERO.

daniel_4tw

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Personally I think anyone on the list should get a medal, similar to most USA sports.

A premiership isn’t won in 1 game, it is won over an entire year including preseason. Players that get injured, that don’t play any games and even rookies contribute to a teams success at training etc and deserve to be a part of the teams results.

Happy for them to distinguish into three types - playing premiership, non playing premiership and coaching premiership.

Either the entire list gets recognition for the teams result or just leave it how it is. Having an arbitrary ‘7 games’ is ridiculous.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
The squad gets you to the big dance but only the 22 who actually play can win it for you.
You are either a premiership player or you are not. If you sit in the stands and watch then you are not a premiership player.
Now if they change it to say that everyone gets one then there is no need for the presentation of medals after the game as it would go for hours.
It’s not relevant what other sports do. We identify and reward the players who actually win it for the club on the day.
Great system so keep it as it is.
Always going to be the unlucky, such is life.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's hard luck stories every year, but if you miss the game you'll still know you missed the game even if you get a trinket.
If it was going to be changed, I would go with players who played a final (and were not suspended for the GF - if anything you cost your team's chance by yourself and/or the MRO being an idiot why should you get reward). But I don't think I would change it.

I think every player on an AFL list should get a participation trophy and there should be no scores kept and no winners or losers. The two teams to play in the grand final should be chosen at random, with modifiers depending on how diverse their lists are in terms of gender and race. The winner shall be decided by a panel of climate change campaigners and social justice warriors.
Hahaha you have to hijack a football thread to bitch about how the world makes you angry. You absolute snowflake.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Players who've say played 17 games for the team during the previous two seasons should get a medal if team wins gf.

I can’t help but feel so sorry for the players that get injured right before the round 1 and can’t play but have contributed to their team’s success during the year. (Or happen to get dropped but have contributed for years).

It takes a lot of work to get to GF day and those players who’ve contributed should also be recognised in my opinion.

What about the poor bloke who plays 16 games?

That’s not fair.

Or the team boot studder?

Or the guy who paints the lines on the training ovals?

Or Wilma the tea lady..or the guy who pumps up the footies before training?

I can’t help but feel sorry for them all.

The injustice of it all.

They all deserve medals imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What are your thoughts on the idea that if a player has played say around a third of the games for their team in any given year and their team happens to win the GF, that they too should be awarded a medal?

I can’t help but feel so sorry for the players that get injured right before the granny and can’t play but have contributed to their team’s success during the year. (Or happen to get dropped but have contributed all year).

It takes a lot of work to get to GF day and those players who’ve contributed should also be recognised in my opinion.
I presume you never won a premiership and wanted a medallion?

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
No self-respecting player would want a glorified participation medal. If anything it would be a permanent & bitter reminder of what they missed out on
Imagine showing your kids the medal later in life. Your kid asks 'how good was it playing in a premiership? How did you play? Did you kick any goals?'.....'i didn't play mate, I wasn't even an emergency, I sat in the stands with others not good enough to play'.....'but how good is the medal?'

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Give everyone who played for the club between the last and current premiership a medal. They all helped in some way to get them there. That way people could stop lamenting the fact that "champion player x" never got a premiership medal. Richardson could get one, and when he's a senile old man Pavlich can get one.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
There is lots about soccer that should be adopted.
The whole team gets a medal.
If not the whole team at least those that have played 11+ games for the year.
Winning a flag is a team effort and those who co tributes should be rewarded.

The other option is give the club 25 medals and they give to those they considered contributed.
In Richmond's case Graham would be given one as he played most of the year.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Imagine showing your kids the medal later in life. Your kid asks 'how good was it playing in a premiership? How did you play? Did you kick any goals?'.....'i didn't play mate, I wasn't even an emergency, I sat in the stands with others not good enough to play'.....'but how good is the medal?'

This is a s**t comment.

The answer to the kids is our TEAM won the premiership and I did my part.
You teach your kids that no matter how small your contribution it's not always about you. There are many who contribute to a premiership.

This attitude right here is called egomaniac selfishness

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
This is a s**t comment.

The answer to the kids is our TEAM won the premiership and I did my part.
You teach your kids that no matter how small your contribution it's not always about you. There are many who contribute to a premiership.

This attitude right here is called egomaniac selfishness
Egomaniac selfishness would be wanting an award for not actually participating in the event wouldn't it?

Say Carlton win the premiership in the next few years, Brendan Bolton should get one as he has had a massive impact on the players development the last 3 years. Or Kade Simpson or daisy Thomas etc. Where is their parade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back