Players who’ve say played 7+ games for their team during season should get medal if team wins GF

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I can certainly see the argument for giving each player on the list a medal. But I’m not a fan of 7 games (or any arbitrary cutoff point).

Callan ward has done as much for the giants as anyone and I think the purpose of this change would be to accomodate players like that. He wouldn’t qualify this year if the rule was 7+ games

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Disagree.

Playing throughout the season gets you a grand final, but plenty of good teams choked on grand final day (St Kilda 2009, Geelong 2008, Sydney 2016 etc).

As harsh as it is, a premiership medal should be for the players that actually contributed to the premiership by winning the grand final. No premiership medal for players that didn't play.

The premiership cup is already there for the team as a whole.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Egomaniac selfishness would be wanting an award for not actually participating in the event wouldn't it?

Say Carlton win the premiership in the next few years, Brendan Bolton should get one as he has had a massive impact on the players development the last 3 years. Or Kade Simpson or daisy Thomas etc. Where is their parade?

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Incorrect.

Learn what a team means for both arguments you said.

You have a distorted view of what a team means.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Extraordinary that you make random assumptions about strangers you don’t know because they have a point of view that differs from yours and then argue your incorrect assumption. It’s quite funny.

Don't worry.
He also thinks anyone outside of the 22 who play on gf day aren't good enough and worthless to the club. Delist them all.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Incorrect.

Learn what a team means for both arguments you said.

You have a distorted view of what a team means.
Exactly. It’s about team. Honouring the guys that helped get the team there doesn’t diminish the 22 who play on the day it just recognises others’ hard work and contribution during the year.

Franc de Borges

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2010
Behind Sunglasses
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Australia
Every year someone brings up this old chestnut.

The players who miss out on selection or can’t play in a gf because of injury wouldn’t want a medal.

It’s not the Australian way and I wish people would just forget the whole idea.

Because it’s a stupid idea.

The only reason they wouldn’t want it is because we’ve been conditioned to think that unless you play in the final match, you’re either not good enough or a hard luck story.

I don’t mind the brutal reality of that, but if our system changed then so would our attitude toward it. No more crying players on the sidelines, Dean Rioli would be a premiership player who missed playing in the final match, and we’d all accept that as being totally deserved.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Every year someone brings up this old chestnut.

The players who miss out on selection or can’t play in a gf because of injury wouldn’t want a medal.

It’s not the Australian way and I wish people would just forget the whole idea.

Because it’s a stupid idea.

The club is recorded as winning a premiership is it not?

Or does the silverware say half the club won a flag that year?

Hawks_4478

All Australian
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol, what a stupid idea. This is the afl, this isn’t the under 10s where everyone gets a participation trophy.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
A squad wins a premiership not 22 players.

Do what the PL does, if you play 5-10 games you get a medel and you can join in.

This archaic views that only the 22 should get a medel and recognition seems real out of time.
That's for the season, not a one off game which the GF is.
Do all players get a medal for winning the FA cup?

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't worry.
He also thinks anyone outside of the 22 who play on gf day aren't good enough and worthless to the club. Delist them all.
Never said worthless or delist. If you would be content getting a medal for doing nothing on the day, by all means enjoy it, put it in display in your home.

I actually don't know where my 2 senior premiership medals are, it's the memories of the day that are priceless to be honest.

I'm sure the players who don't get a game can enjoy their medal and the priceless memories of sitting in the stands.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
From Wikipedia so don't know how accurate it is...

Each club in the final receives 40 winners or runners-up medals to be distributed among players, staff, and officials.
So if an AFL club has the same allocation for a GF win, after 22 players, game day emergencies, all coaches and probably some medical staff/runners etc. A club will probably only have a couple to give out anyway? They get to give them out to whoever. I'd take that over all players over X amount of games being given one automatically.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Maybe players who have played a game through the year could get a premiership squad medal with the number of games they've played on the back.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I can certainly see the argument for giving each player on the list a medal. But I’m not a fan of 7 games (or any arbitrary cutoff point).

Callan ward has done as much for the giants as anyone and I think the purpose of this change would be to accomodate players like that. He wouldn’t qualify this year if the rule was 7+ games

Ward's impact has been off-field though, I think there's a difference with genuine on-field impact in a premiership year. I don't think anyone would begrudge Coniglio getting a medal for instance.

Or for us, Graham, Stack, Ross, McIntosh.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Never said worthless or delist. If you would be content getting a medal for doing nothing on the day, by all means enjoy it, put it in display in your home.

I actually don't know where my 2 senior premiership medals are, it's the memories of the day that are priceless to be honest.

I'm sure the players who don't get a game can enjoy their medal and the priceless memories of sitting in the stands.

Takes a whole year to win a premiership and a whole team.

It's not won on grand final day alone.
You don't win enough games through the year you don't finish in finals
You don't win finals you don't make the grand final

It's not too hard to comprehend but your selfish brain explodes at the thought that the grand final team is winning it for the whole club not 22 players.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Ward's impact has been off-field though, I think there's a difference with genuine on-field impact in a premiership year. I don't think anyone would begrudge Coniglio getting a medal for instance.

Or for us, Graham, Stack, Ross, McIntosh.
Totally agree. But I don't think you can set the bar at X number of games because every year there will be a player who falls just short of that who will the be the future 'bob murphys, stephen coniglios, tony modras' of the world who were stiff. Either the entire list or just the 22 IMO.

Back