Players who get off lightly from past indiscretions

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been suggested that Mrs. Whitten never much enjoyed the consequences of poor performances by her old man or his team either.
Oooof.

Some difficult stories in Geelong's history too. There's one about a young gay man who, in (I believe) the 80s was cornered in a nightclub toilet by several players and urinated on.

Micky Turner also wouldn't be able to get away with rumours from decades before if they were to happen today. I was disappointed that Sheahan didn't bring that up in Open Mike.

Oooof.

Some difficult stories in Geelong's history too. There's one about a young gay man who, in (I believe) the 80s was cornered in a nightclub toilet by several players and urinated on.

Micky Turner also wouldn't be able to get away with rumours from decades before if they were to happen today. I was disappointed that Sheahan didn't bring that up in Open Mike.
I was talking to a mate on the weekend about how good it was to grow up before the era of the internet and camera phones where images of your youthful idiocy are consigned to memory only.

s**t thread. Game used to be played by men who would do anything to earn respect against other men. Now it's played by pansies who would rather dive for a free kick than put their head over the footy and cop what's coming

The game used to be equal part intimidation equal part skill and their were blokes whose job it was to intimidate. Now 19 and 20 year old kids dominate the field because no one can touch then anymore

Leigh Matthews did plenty of diving for free kicks along with all his thuggish acts.

He might have been a great footballer but I doubt he would have been that well liked or respected by anyone outside of Hawthorn.

That may have been the case in 2002.

He has gone on to make plenty of questionable decisions in his life since then though, in a public and domestic setting, and is still a welcome part of the boys club of the media.
To this day it's still brought up in front of him on air. Always being labeled like that will always a burden

That may have been the case in 2002.

He has gone on to make plenty of questionable decisions in his life since then though, in a public and domestic setting, and is still a welcome part of the boys club of the media.
The real issue that I have with the whole Carey thing is that what did him in was an act of consensual sex.

dont need to google it i spoke to the lawyer representing one of the players in question i can assure you it was ricky (he was only a witness not a participant)
Shame, if you'd taken a few extra seconds and actually looked it up you'd know he paid a very large sum of money to make the story go away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Stringer one of the few who have had his off-field indiscretions laid bare so publicly at a relatively early time in his career?

Dayle Garlett, Liam Jurrah, Murray Newman and Marley Williams come to mind from recent years. They did things that were actually criminal though, rather than just being morally "questionable".

Harley Bennell has been put through the moral wringer as well for his early off-behaviour too.

s**t thread. Game used to be played by men who would do anything to earn respect against other men. Now it's played by pansies who would rather dive for a free kick than put their head over the footy and cop what's coming

The game used to be equal part intimidation equal part skill and their were blokes whose job it was to intimidate. Now 19 and 20 year old kids dominate the field because no one can touch then anymore

Most of these so called "men" went around dishing out cheap shots, and if hurting another person is what they wanted to do, why not have the courage to do it fairly in a boxing ring? Because they were gutless thugs, that's why.

Good riddance to that aspect of football.

Good media careers in particular can make us forget our new even realise what done players were like.

Brereton comes across as a good bloke but was dirty as f.

Mate's dad saw Collingwood in the fifties and recons all Lou Richards and his brother did was go around hitting players when the umpire want watching.

Different times, yeah. But didn't mean it didn't happen.

Most of these so called "men" went around dishing out cheap shots, and if hurting another person is what they wanted to do, why not have the courage to do it fairly in a boxing ring? Because they were gutless thugs, that's why.

Good riddance to that aspect of football.

Nup. The guys who handed it out back in the day also took it. There was no diving like Rance and Danger. That was the sport. Hard men played and hard men took it. Now these guys hardest encounter is there hairdresser.

Wasnt it his brother Ricky not Michael + Burgoyne, P and Hueskes?
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/21/1079823236759.html
Player Michael O'Loughlin maintained in a statement he paid the woman to save his family embarrassment, but insisted he was innocent of any wrongdoing. The Aboriginal star - who on Friday confirmed he was the third person identified in reports on the alleged incident involving the woman in Adelaide in 2000 - contributed to a combined payout worth an estimated $200,000.
O'Loughlin was not involved in the incident. All players strenuously denied any wrongdoing and the settlement was made on the basis that the woman agreed that the players accepted no blame for any wrongdoing that had occurred.

The Swans spokesman said this case was different from other sex assault allegations rocking football codes.

"The difference is this one has been fully investigated by police and no one was found guilty," he said. "The police didn't even interview him, which they would have done if there was a concern Michael had done anything wrong."

A statement released by the Swans yesterday said the alleged victim signed a statement saying: "I want to make it absolutely clear I have no claim against Michael O'Loughlin."
So it looks like it might have been Michael paying to keep his brother out of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back