Brian Harris/Brian Lake
Harry O'Brien/Heritier Lumumba
Jasper McMillan-Pittard/Jasper Pittard
Jarad Rooke/Max Rooke
Beau Wilkes/Beau Maister
David Mundy/Chris Mayne
Chris Mayne/David Mundy

get ready for the abuse. :p
someone bumped this thread and i saw the king of gifs post. i know you aren’t around anymore mate but i’ll always be thankful that you treated me like a mate even when i was 15 years old on here. it’s a shame you never got to finish wentworth. much love brother rest easy

Former Hawthorn player Angus Litherland has changed his name to Angus Dewar during the course of his post-Hawks career with Subiaco.

I believe it’s a similar family situation to Brian Lake (formerly Harris) and Beau Maister (formerly Wilkes) but I don’t know the specific details.

There are several examples I can think of where the player was drafted, and played for a few seasons, with one first name but then stopped ever being referred to as that name. Although these names were never changed by deed poll the players’ “AFL name” was altered to the informal version.

Jimmy Bartel was James Bartel for the first five (?) years of his career. IIRC Nat Fyfe was always called “Nathan Fyfe” for his first few years in the league. AFL Tables, Wikipedia etc. now has them under their newer names.

IIRC Bob Murphy was Robert until about the last third of his career. However this one is different. Everyone started calling him Bob and he wrote his articles in The Age as Bob Murphy but Wikipedia and AFL Tables still have him listed as Robert Murphy.

These aren’t “players who have changed their names” but they have changed “the name they play under”.

I don’t know how it was when he was drafted, and at the start of his career, but AFL Tables has Robbie Gray listed under the name Robbie Gray.

One off season there was a very slight modification of one player’s name.

IIRC. After a few seasons in which he played under the registration name of Nathan Van Berlo it was discovered by his family the proper Dutch way to write their surname was with a lower case v.

So outside of his first few seasons he played under the corrected formatting of “Nathan van Berlo”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If my name was Dick Condon I think I would be changing it by deed poll, or taking on my wife's surname when I got married. What's even more amusing is his 'personality clash' with umpire Ivo Crapp.

Imagine if this was a question on 'The Chase'. 'Former Collingwood player Dick Condon received a lengthy suspension for verbally abusing which field umpire. Was it A Matthew Head, B Derek Woodcock, or C Ivo Crapp?'

I don't think anyone would be able to stop themselves laughing, and it would be worse for The Chase UK host Bradley Walsh, who has plenty of times been unable to keep a straight face at multiple choice question answers where there is a double entendre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back