Players who have changed their names

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of Collingwood players played under assumed names before WW1 (I think Dicky Condon was one) to avoid suspension penaltires. Jack Dyer and a bunch of others played under false names in the lucrative "Wednesday" leagues in the 20's and 30's to supplement their VFL earnings.

The Pannam family changed their names from Pannamopoulos around 1900, but I think that was before they played.

I know a lot of opposition supporters changed Daics first name from "Peter" to "f***ing" as he found new and exciting ways to fillet their defence.

CCsBoots, a lot of "Ethnics" (=foreigners) anglicised their names on arrival in Australia to avoid discrimination. I understand the Ellis Island clerks were even more proactive in the US before WW2, either mispelling or actually shortening and anglicising new arrivals names, either through ignorance or prejudice.

Originally posted by The Phat Side

Ill pay that.

Speaking of chicken, that reminds me, what about Chicken Smallhorn? Did he change his name? Or was his mum fond of poultry?. Or was he a native American Indian? Ive always wondered you know.

He had a small horn.

Luke mcpharlin played under a different name for the East Fremantle colts so that he could be drafted.

Gary Smith from SA changed his name to Lawson-Smith not from Lawson-Smith during his time at Carlton

Originally posted by Dogwatcher

Explain.

He was being "hidden" from other teams who might have wanted to draft L. McPharlin. I understand he kicked a bagful of goals under his alias.

As East Freo was closely involved with the Hawks at that time, and the Hawks main spy in W.A. is / was a East Freo boy, they did a good snow job.

Originally posted by masai

He was being "hidden" from other teams who might have wanted to draft L. McPharlin. I understand he kicked a bagful of goals under his alias.

As East Freo was closely involved with the Hawks at that time, and the Hawks main spy in W.A. is / was a East Freo boy, they did a good snow job.

And wasn't it worth it in the end!

Ill pay that.

Speaking of chicken, that reminds me, what about Chicken Smallhorn? Did he change his name? Or was his mum fond of poultry?. Or was he a native American Indian? Ive always wondered you know.

I think youll find Chicken Smallhorn was one of the first cloning and gene technology attempts by McDonalds to grow a beast that could provide them with both chicken and beef in one burger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His real name was Wilfred Smallhorn. His name was no more Chicken than Mark Thompson's was Bomber.

Kevin Sheedy changed his name to ....... shoot my mouth off about anything, say nothing anyone really understands and think the whole world is against him.

Its a very long name.

Originally posted by fabulousphil
Kevin Sheedy changed his name to ....... shoot my mouth off about anything, say nothing anyone really understands and think the whole world is against him.

Its a very long name.

No wonder I get him confused with Jason Akermanis then...

Originally posted by masai

I thought that would have been too simple for sophisticated modern day recruiting methods...So we haven't come that far from the 50s in all reality, oh well. It's Back to The Future for me!

Originally posted by Bomber Spirit
Kristian Anning at North Melbourne in the early 1990s changed his name to Kristian Bardsley when he went to St Kilda.
Sanford Wheeler, Swans cult hero during the days of the Great Losing Streak of the early 1990s, was originally Matthew Wheeler.

Are there any other players who have changed their name during their playing career?
If you really want to know why Kristian Anning changed his surname to Bardsley was because his mother re-married.

Sandford Wheeler changed his first name because he became an australian.

The same with Lance Piciaone his family changed their surname to make it more australian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back