Players who have gone on one year too long

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heart says he's best 22. Head says he's on the outer.

Depends which Burgoyne shows up though. His played some genuinely good games this season and some very poor ones. In any case, we lack quality depth as is.
I don't think Burgoyne rotating through and taking 10 games off a speculative best 22 player is going to make or break our rebuild. We've got nothing else to put our cap towards so I'm not averse to giving our champion a decent send off (hopefully in front of a crowd).
He has played some decent football this year. But I do question the value of his on field leadership to the youth vs. getting games into the inexperienced.

I also have questions over the consistency of what Clarko has done here. Whilst in a bottom 6 rebuild window he gives an old guy another year, then another one. A few years ago, when the Hawks were in a 'one last push for more glory'/'finals, maybe win a few, maybe get lucky and win it all' era he pushes out champions like Mitchell and Hodge so as to get games into the youth.

He has played some decent football this year. But I do question the value of his on field leadership to the youth vs. getting games into the inexperienced.

I also have questions over the consistency of what Clarko has done here. Whilst in a bottom 6 rebuild window he gives an old guy another year, then another one. A few years ago, when the Hawks were in a 'one last push for more glory'/'finals, maybe win a few, maybe get lucky and win it all' era he pushes out champions like Mitchell and Hodge so as to get games into the youth.

Hodge retired and then did a Terry Funk and unretired. But he did move on Lewis and Mitchell - that was to free up cap space and make a bid for a trade (which would have been Tom Mitchell or Jaeger O'Meara). Since we're going to the draft this time, the salary cap pressure doesn't come into the equation.

From a fan point of view, we don't have much to look forward to next year so Burgoyne getting to 400 and hopefully playing a farewell game in Melbourne at which we can attend at least gives us something to take out of 2021. We've done similar things in the past for Chris Langford and Jarryd Roughead.

As to the question if he's best 22 - well I reckon we'd struggle to come up with a top 10 at the moment, so yeah I reckon he is probably best 22. I wouldn't expect him to play all games next year either.

JPK is struggling mightily. He's still best 22 with the injuries we've got but tough to see him getting a run next year.

Hodge retired and then did a Terry Funk and unretired.
As I understood it he was given the ole tap on the shoulder and quietly pulled aside alla Michael Tuck alla Dermott Brereton alla Conan alla Clarko.

The standard Hawthorn procedure with champs who vigorously want to play on but are judged to be past their used by date in the boardroom so as not to “tarnish” their reputation but more importantly “tarnish” Hawthorns legacy.

As I understood it he was given the ole tap on the shoulder and quietly pulled aside alla Michael Tuck alla Dermott Brereton alla Clarko.

The standard Hawthorn procedure with champs who vigorously want to play on but are judged to be past their used by date in the boardroom so as not to “tarnish” their reputation but more importantly “tarnish” Hawthorns legacy.

I can't remember the details but I do remember going out to Waverley Park to line up to get him to sign a copy of his biography. The club was selling some merch along the lines of One Club Legend which subsequently seemed pretty silly.

I can't remember the details but I do remember going out to Waverley Park to line up to get him to sign a copy of his biography. The club was selling some merch along the lines of One Club Legend which subsequently seemed pretty silly.
Must’ve been painful seeing Derm line up for the Pies & Swans and then watch Ayres go coach Geelong. 😫

Must’ve been painful seeing Derm line up for the Pies & Swans and then watch Ayres go coach Geelong. 😫

Nah, I'd seen Terry Wallace go (I had 16 on my back on my second footy jumper) but my first footy love was Norm Goss (a number one on my first) who had come across from South Melbourne. So I was (and remain fine) with the idea that players move on to other clubs. Particularly given the success we've had with players coming over.

Hawthorn have had a plan of phasing out 2 guys at a time. Stratton and Puopolo confirmed. The alternative strategy of kicking all the old blokes to the curb has been shown to be very destructive (see Melbourne).

Once again, I don't see Burgoyne playing 20 + games next season, so I don't buy this idea of Burgoyne limiting the development of a younger player. Furthermore, if a younger player can't displace a near geriatric (in footy terms) from the best 22, then I don't like the idea of gifting games for the sake of youth.

Hodge and Mitchell were let go for one last payday/coaching opportunities. Burgoyne will most likely be earmarked in taking an internal role within the club once he retires so no need to ship him off ala Mitchell.

A single player staying on for a paycheck and a 400 game milestone is not going to somehow make or break a rebuild.

Scott Pendlebury come on down.

Scott Pendlebury come on down.

Saw alert to this thread come up.

New Pendlebury was going to get the nomination.

He does look slow and rattle tonight.

Retired from Basketball over the summer I hear.

Maybe he’s lost that time and space

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe 2-3 too long but Will Hoskin-Elliott.

No chance Pendles belongs in this conversation. A few slip ups but only one who looked dangerous in the last. Get a better bounce and take that chest mark and he’s a hero.

Agreed. Pendlebury is at an age where he should just have to be a solid contributor. Not his fault he is still expected to be the main man because Collingwood don't really have much else.

Pendlebury only had to reef over and squeeze out a fart and his worshippers on the All Australian selection committee would pick him in the side.

So he didnt have a good season then. His 2nd place BNF was crap too but you were right.

Yeah ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back