Players who have improved their disposal skill

Barrie Vagg

Debutant
Mar 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There have been a lot of responders stating that players are young and kicking skills can be improved. I have been watching the Dees play for 45 years and in my memory there have been exceedingly few players who I could put into that category. I'd be interested to receive nominations of Melbourne footballers who you can put into the " markedly improved kicking " category

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Re: Players who have inmproved their disposal skill

Brock Mclean

cannons

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2005
Location, Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal

Miller. Around the ground and for goal.

Agreed.

You are right though, it is difficult to take a kicking technique that has become habitual and then change that. You have to take the player through the learning stage, then he needs to think about it to actually perform the skill after that, so obviously he won't be employing the new technique during a match in a play on situation. However, once he's worked on this technique for long enough, it becomes autonomous and replaces the old habit. It can happen, it just takes a great deal of time and patience to achieve such a change.

the russian40

Senior List
Jan 8, 2007
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Hearts FC

Agreed.

You are right though, it is difficult to take a kicking technique that has become habitual and then change that. You have to take the player through the learning stage, then he needs to think about it to actually perform the skill after that, so obviously he won't be employing the new technique during a match in a play on situation. However, once he's worked on this technique for long enough, it becomes autonomous and replaces the old habit. It can happen, it just takes a great deal of time and patience to achieve such a change.

Which is what Bailey did at the start of the year, took everyone back to the basics of kicking and handballing

Miller. Around the ground and for goal.
Don't think its just improved much, its just we are seeing more of it.

Much better than that reflex hand ball off to the nearest midfielder that no-one in the AFL fell for.

davey_magik

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 27, 2004
central vic
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
west ham

Agree with BC, Miller's kicking looks better because he isn't handballing the damn thing all the time.

Jones actually has a little but has a LONG way to go.

McLean has, yeah.

Bruce seems to be a little better but that's not all that hard.

PJ maybe but he was always quite good with his skills. He just rarely got the ball and couldn't show them off.

FOOOOTY

Premiership Player
RIP
Aug 27, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne

Good work Barrie Vagg... 2 stupid threads in a row.

Anything can be improved with practice and experience, this is the professional age of football remember.

And from all reports Nathan Jones is one of the hardest workers at the club, whats your problem with him anyway?

And you need only look at our president Jim Stynes to see how someone can MARKEDLY improve their kicking skills if they have the drive to succeed, i heard the first time he kicked an Aussie rules ball, it wasn't exactly eye-catching, vote getting, Brownlow medal winning stuff.

eliasd82

All Australian
Sep 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Wheatley has improved since earlier in the year.
Bruce, Miller, Warnock, Garland and Jones have all also improved this year and since the inclusion of Chris Johnson, we look cleaner coming out from the backline.
Green's courage and leadership is also noticeable difference to previous years.

Barrie Vagg

Debutant
Mar 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Good work Barrie Vagg... 2 stupid threads in a row.

Anything can be improved with practice and experience, this is the professional age of football remember.

And from all reports Nathan Jones is one of the hardest workers at the club, whats your problem with him anyway?

And you need only look at our president Jim Stynes to see how someone can MARKEDLY improve their kicking skills if they have the drive to succeed, i heard the first time he kicked an Aussie rules ball, it wasn't exactly eye-catching, vote getting, Brownlow medal winning stuff.

My problem with him is not his endeavour, his courage or his commitment. The problem is we are going to continue to be an ordinary team until we get players who can hit targets. If you have too many ball winners with poor disposal eg St. Kilda you are pretenders. Compare the kicking skills of our midfielders with Geelong, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. I can't see us winning a premiership with Jones in the middle that's all not that we have any forwards to take advantage of accurate disposal anyway.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

My problem with him is not his endeavour, his courage or his commitment. The problem is we are going to continue to be an ordinary team until we get players who can hit targets. If you have too many ball winners with poor disposal eg St. Kilda you are pretenders. Compare the kicking skills of our midfielders with Geelong, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs. I can't see us winning a premiership with Jones in the middle that's all not that we have any forwards to take advantage of accurate disposal anyway.
I don't believe those three teams have much greater kicking skills than others, they are good, but I think all the work the players do around the ground makes their kicking look better. Sydney won the flag without any spectacular kicking midfielder. The problem with our midfield going forward is getting the young outside mids up and going, in McLean, Jones, Moloney and Valenti we have a group of inside midfielders that is right up there in the comp (and maybe Grimes and Petterd and a good tagger in Dunn), but we need Buckley and Morton (and possibly Davey, Sylvia and Maric) to get to the level Bruce, Wheatley and Green give us.

Bailey has certainly sent the kicking skills through the roof, we couldn't hit a target last year, but this year even guys like Warnock are starting to kick with confidence and hit targets.

TelkoTheGreat

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2007
joles
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Buffalo Sabres, Casey

wheatley, start of the year was sloppy as

Back