Players who have jumped to elite status

Remove this Banner Ad

If this thread had been created in June then Josh Caddy would have been an obvious nomination.

Amazingly as epic as he was earlier this year he has been as equally unimpressive lately.

He’s gone from an AA lock and a potential Coleman to just a serviceable player in under two months.

That does not make sense - both the the rise and the fall.

His GFC career comprised the occasional BOG performance followed by weeks of mediocrity but this this year it looked like he was past that; he was now going to be a consistently high-end performer.

I would assume he must be injured.

This season he has gone gone from absolute career best form to perhaps career worst form.

FWIW IIRC Daniel Harford in 1997 had a somewhat similar season.

Leigh Colbert in 1996 made the Vic team but was borderline best 18 at Geelong later that year.

If this thread had been created in June then Josh Caddy would have been an obvious nomination.

Amazingly as epic as he was earlier this year he has been as equally unimpressive lately.

He’s gone from an AA lock and a potential Coleman to just a serviceable player in under two months.

His GFC career comprised the occasional BOG performance followed by weeks of mediocrity but this this year it looked like he was past that; he was now going to be a consistently high-end performer.

I would assume he must be injured.

This season he has gone gone from absolute career best form to perhaps career worst form.

FWIW IIRC Daniel Harford in 1997 had a somewhat similar season.

Leigh Colbert in 1996 made the Vic team but was borderline best 18 at Geelong later that year.

Harford was ready to become elite but he got cruelled by injury after that.

Richmond this year are just so much more consistent as a team.

The slight drop off in numbers from Caddy over the past two months has been reflected in the rise of Higgins over that time. Both play a mix of mid/fwd but Josh has played more time forward mostly without reward.

But it’s also meant Riewoldt has had arguably his best seven weeks in his career.

Your point is relevant in examining the evenness of Richmond and their ability to go 6-1 during this period, with players playing their roles to get a result.

In saying that, Caddy would not be close to AA contention this year. I’m liking his team first contributions though. I’m also preferring our ability to not rely on Josh to kick goals to win games. Handy knowing Dimma can revert to him being a forward weapon in the finals if required.

Tom Stewart?

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk
Oooooh, like this. Has been outstanding this year after being great last year. Without looking at the numbers, going on feel it's a yes from me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Sicily

I guess it really depends on how you define 'elite.' IMO Hawthorn as a few elite players:
- Mitchell
- Gunston
- Breust
- Smith

They are our elite players for their positions. Stratton has a good case too.

When you look at Grundy, he's the most natural footballer I've ever seen for a ruckman including Cox.

What does that mean? He gets a lot of contested ball and bashed and crashes. Overall a really good ruck, but Cox broke games open with his play around the ground and a far more skilled user of the football.

Raw stats will favour grundy like the doing current day mids over mids from Cox’s era just because of the inflation in possession numbers.

From other teams:
- Tom Stewart
- Elliot Yeo
- Patty Cripps
- Andrew Gaff
- Tom Hawkins
- Ben Brown
- Sean Higgins
- Michael Walters
- Tom McDonald
- Nick Vlastuin

There are plenty IMO.

First two were already elite last year. As for Michael Hurley, I'm not sure even Essendon fans would claim he's elite.
2 time All Australian defender not elite?

Righteo........

Agree with a lot of the ones champion data has here, no idea how to not make pic huge
DkCI-JjV4AAcRfo.jpg

That’s probably more a reflection on your watching of GWS.

He averaged 20 touches and a goal a game for GWS for serveral years, despite not getting much midfield time. Was always a good player
You got that right, always a fierce competitor and a touch of class. We needed a defensive forward though and he got pushed there. I always thought outside mid was his best spot, but not surprised he's doing well as a hybrid mid with his will for the contest.
He was strangely unreliable shooting for goal with us, although an elite field kick. That has improved with the Bombers.

This is an extraordinary compliment. I still think Cox was a cut above Grundy and Gawn.

I see it as a bit of a lazy assessment, and discount of Grundy's skillset.

Cox was never the contested ball-winner that Grundy is (and Gawn isn't either). Grundy's ball-winning is actually relevant to ruckwork, around stoppages and contests.

Sam Jacobs is a more apt comparison stylistically to Cox, albeit less prolific.

From our club

This season I’ve seen them jump a level

Jack darling ...
Elliot yeo

Bot hvae riased their bar to elite status

Remove this Banner Ad

Back