Players who haven't reached their potential

Remove this Banner Ad

Kepa; hands down takes this one out though. Most expensive keeper at such a young age and already seems finished at the top top level.
Yeah don't think so.

It's widely acknowledged Chelsea overpaid for Kepa because it was his buy out and we were getting desperate.
Don't think it was ever said he had the immense promise of some other players mentioned here.

I’d have to say Pogba. Looked an absolute beast at Juventus and in a way reached his potential to a certain degree, he was regarded as one of the best mids at the time when we signed him in 2016, and apart from a decent amount of performances, he has massively underperformed for us while being in his prime.
Great shout this I think.

Definitely should be a top 3 CM in the world and hasn't reached the heights everyone thought he would at Juventus.

Ryan Sessengon (still early for him), Luke Shaw.
Sessengon just won player of the month for his club and young player of the month for the whole league in November. He'll become our Reguillon backup LB or take over from Reguillon if/when Real Madrid by him back.

Big one for us is Erik Lamela. Every time he'd get into some good form he'd pick up an injury and then another one just when he'd get back fit. Would miss 1-2 months regularly and then take another month to get back into form. Rinse and repeat for 7 years.

Sessengon just won player of the month for his club and young player of the month for the whole league in November. He'll become our Reguillon backup LB or take over from Reguillon if/when Real Madrid by him back.

Big one for us is Erik Lamela. Every time he'd get into some good form he'd pick up an injury and then another one just when he'd get back fit. Would miss 1-2 months regularly and then take another month to get back into form. Rinse and repeat for 7 years.
Was Lamela really touted as a being a future world beater though?

Jovetic and Nastasic were two from City that looked like becoming world class before plateauting

Was Lamela really touted as a being a future world beater though?
When he was signed he definitely was. Or if not a world beater definitely better than he has been. Came off a 15 goal and 5 assist season in the Serie A as a 21 year old. Best he has managed for us is 5 & 9 in 2015/16

Last edited:
Great shout this I think.

Definitely should be a top 3 CM in the world and hasn't reached the heights everyone thought he would at Juventus.

Pogba is a great shout for this thread.

This might be better suited to the unpopular opinions thread but I've followed Pogba since he was a teenager at United and I think his Juventus days are ridiculously overrated. His best ever patch of form at club level was during Ole's spell as caretaker. He's an outrageous talent but his insane lack of consistency and inability to lift his team has been excused by many as a result of the poor quality United sides that he's been in. Bruno has now shown that this is no excuse. Pogba dwells on the ball too long and is too casual in his movement off the ball to ever be a success in the EPL. He needs to go to a competition that will allow him the time on the ball that he needs.

Raiola has come out today and said that Pogba has no intention of renewing. He won't be missed.

A very Tottenham feel to this thread and another player who should be in the conversation is Christian Eriksen.

Genuinely thought he could become one of the best AM in the world and showed glimpses in patches but never sustainable enough to warrant being in that particular conversation either.

Another was Paulinho who was thought to be good enough to get on the park as a Barcalona player. Obviously never clicked and is now cashing in in China

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogba is a great shout for this thread.

This might be better suited to the unpopular opinions thread but I've followed Pogba since he was a teenager at United and I think his Juventus days are ridiculously overrated. His best ever patch of form at club level was during Ole's spell as caretaker. He's an outrageous talent but his insane lack of consistency and inability to lift his team has been excused by many as a result of the poor quality United sides that he's been in. Bruno has now shown that this is no excuse. Pogba dwells on the ball too long and is too casual in his movement off the ball to ever be a success in the EPL. He needs to go to a competition that will allow him the time on the ball that he needs.

Raiola has come out today and said that Pogba has no intention of renewing. He won't be missed.

Raiola says that and at the same time, Pogba speaks about how important the next few games are for us and the mentality of the club. Circus keeps going around.

Pogba was the only midfielder I saw consistently get the better of Dembele when he was at his best. Thought by now he'd be carrying United to title challenger status at the very least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very Tottenham feel to this thread and another player who should be in the conversation is Christian Eriksen.

Genuinely thought he could become one of the best AM in the world and showed glimpses in patches but never sustainable enough to warrant being in that particular conversation either.

I get the impression that Eriksen is his own worst enemy here. It seems like he outgrew Spurs toward the end there and was dreaming about making the step up to a bigger club (get the sense that he was dreaming of Real/Barca) and just lost all focus and motivation. In the end he had to settle for Inter, despite not being wanted by the manager, and now his career is going nowhere.

Mou was right about Pogba, bloke is a virus

I mostly blame Raiola for this crap but this has happened enough times now that its clear that Pogba doesn't mind. To come out with an announcement like that after his first start in ages and on the eve of two massive fixtures...It just shows how selfish and disruptive he is.

He's not even close to being worth all the drama. I think there's a bit of damage control at play here from Raiola too, to make it look like Pogba is being frozen out because he refuses to sign a new contract, when the reality is that he isn't playing because he isn't in our best XI anymore.

I did get annoyed when United signed Pogba, just another one of their massive signings where they buy the best in the world but it turned out that Pogba is just super lazy and ineffectual.

When we play United, I actually hope he plays which says a lot I guess.

He doesnt have the mentality to play under Klopp I dont think.

It’s all attitude. Pogba lacks it, lazy mother*er. Has so much talent, he thinks he is so much better than what he is as well.

I’ve dreamt about him dominating and being the best mid in the PL but that’s a fantasy. He’s also nearly 28 now? Still in his prime but he doesn’t strike me as someone who will still be decent into his 30’s.

PSG or back to Juventus I think for him, Real Madrid & Barca should pass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back