Players who haven't reached their potential

Remove this Banner Ad

neymar was never going to be ronaldo/messi level. the likelihood is that no one else will be, but neymar still have a better than 1/2 goal to appearance ratio, will likely pass pele as brazil's top scorer and is a global superstar. i dont think he hasnt met his potential at all. all while playing out wide most of his career. only injuries have slowed him down.
I think he could have left a bigger imprint on the game if he didn't play at PSG though.

Mata? Not sure if he's been mentioned yet.

Was killing it at Valencia and Chelsea over say a 3-4 year period, then fell out with Mou.

Just a handy role player it seems for most of his United career. Not the star main man as what he once was.
Hm. Not sure.

He was elite in Valencia/Chelsea days but I am not sure if he was ever tipped to be in the upper echelon of players?

It feels like Jazunaj has been around forever yet he's only 26. Has been decent at Sociedad but given how highly touted he was, you would've thought he'd be playing for a bigger club.

Martial is heading that way too.

I feel a trend for many in here is injuries or bad moves have derailed careers
Yeah maybe. But they're still relevant calls IMO.

Some just never got there when they should have though, like Balotelli.

I think another good shout is Kevin Prince Boateng.

Yeah maybe. But they're still relevant calls IMO.

Some just never got there when they should have though, like Balotelli.

I think another good shout is Kevin Prince Boateng.
I think KPB for a small amount of time got to the mad level many thought he'd get to

Mata? Not sure if he's been mentioned yet.

Was killing it at Valencia and Chelsea over say a 3-4 year period, then fell out with Mou.

Just a handy role player it seems for most of his United career. Not the star main man as what he once was.

Nah, Mata was great at Valencia, superb at Chelsea and has had a solid career with United, reached his potential.

Luke Shaw another good shout? Not sure if he was tipped to reach the heights of some other players ITT though.

A case for one of if not the in-form LB in the league at the moment, prior to his broken leg he was tracking really well, has taken some time to get back to that level but he’s there.

He’s starting to provide assists from that left side now and takes our free-kicks & corners.

moomba Micah Richards?
Yeah, injuries play a part but he'd say that he could have applied himself more.

Was great in our 11/12 title win, really looked like he was taking his game to the next level.

Got a really bad injury in tge Olympics and never really recovered. A lot of talk that Villa refused to play him after a bit cause it woukd gave triggered another payment to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels like Jazunaj has been around forever yet he's only 26. Has been decent at Sociedad but given how highly touted he was, you would've thought he'd be playing for a bigger club.

Martial is heading that way too.
Would have been interesting to watch him under Fergie's management

Dele Alli no doubt belongs here.

Who would have thought the way he burst onto the scene his career would be where it is today?

Martial probably another too.

I never got the Dele hype TBH. Always seemed like a flash in the pan to me but I didn't expect a drop off to this extent. His attitude in the Spurs doco kind of explains it though.

Martial is in that company now but it's tough to get a read on him as he's been miserable at United and he wanted out for a while there. If he can stay fit (big if) though he's shown in pre season and in his brief cameo against Liverpool that he really suits what ETH wants in a #9. The ball is in his court.

I never got the Dele hype TBH. Always seemed like a flash in the pan to me but I didn't expect a drop off to this extent. His attitude in the Spurs doco kind of explains it though.

Martial is in that company now but it's tough to get a read on him as he's been miserable at United and he wanted out for a while there. If he can stay fit (big if) though he's shown in pre season and in his brief cameo against Liverpool that he really suits what ETH wants in a #9. The ball is in his court.
I guess I mentioned Martial cos I thought injuries have kinda hampered his career?

I guess I mentioned Martial cos I thought injuries have kinda hampered his career?

He hasn't had any real long term issues but often picks up niggles that make it tough for him to get a solid block of games in.

Is Martial the new Lingard? He’ll be 32 and people will still be saying this is the season he unlocks his potential.

I don't recall that ever being said about Lingard? It became a bit of a meme to refer to him as a 'young player' every year but he's always been seen as a fairly limited player by United fans.

Just to be clear - my comments about Martial were absolutely not suggesting that he will truly "unlock his potential". His ceiling is enormous and I don't think he has the focus or the desire to fully realise it. I also have no faith that his body will allow him to ever put a full season together. That being said, he was simply atrocious last year and didn't want to be at the club - so I am at least expecting a considerable improvement this year now that he appears to be settled as first choice again in a style that will play to his strengths.

James Rodriguez. Still a good player but hasn't reached anywhere near the heights so many expected after his 2014 World Cup. Renato Sanches is another. Best young player at the Euros, spudded it up at Swansea and we hardly hear anything about him anymore. Andre Schurrle could've been so much more if it wasn't for injuries.

Renato Sanches won a league title with Lille and was one of their best. Now at PSG and looking a top class footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back