Players who leave to go elsewhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
This week BBB and Hester announced another baby on the way. Obviously I'm happy for them, and wish them the best but I'll confess a part of me felt that I didn't care as much as I would have 12 months ago. I always liked BBB, and was super impressed at club/family days with the way he interacted with my own kids and others. But, he just isn't one of "us" now. My initial reaction to his injury news this week was "caveat emptor" rather than any sympathy for him. It probably speaks more of me and my shortcomings than anything else.

Ben Brown, Shaun Higgins and Mason Wood look like being the 184th, 185th and 186th NMFC players to finish their careers playing at another club. The previous 20 are:

Ryan Clarke*, Braydon Preuss*, Mitch Hibberd, Corey Wagner, Sam Gibson, Aaron Mullett, Lindsay Thomas, Daniel Wells, Drew Petrie, Aaron Black, Ryan Bastinac, Dan Currie, Nathan Grima, Levi Greenwood*, Luke Delaney, Cam Pedersen, Aaron Edwards, Hamish McIntosh, Ben Ross and David Hale.

My first reaction is, "Wow, we haven't let much slip through our fingers lately". Only Hale, who won 3 premierships did anything after leaving NMFC. And, I was kind of numb to that. He was cooked when he went, Goldy had gone past him and McIntosh was still there so his leaving was fair enough. But, I felt no joy for him. Is that me? What about Gibson, who was 21st on this list? Unlike Hale, he walked out looking for something better and found it. So whilst I'm only meh on Hale, I'm actively cheesed off on Gibson. If the 2018 Grand Final finished 2 minutes earlier, how would I feel about Greenwood? The only NMFC players to leave and win a flag elsewhere in the AFL era are M.Stevens, Mooney, Pike, L.Brown, Gibson and Hale. Mark Stevens won it against us in 1998 so that pisses me off, Mooney and Pike won with us in 1999 and won multiple flags elsewhere, but didn't actively seek to leave so I'm OK with that, L.Brown and Hale felt done so I can deal with them. But Gibson annoys me a more. But I don't feel happy about any of them.

So what if BBB is part of the first Dees flag in nearly 60 years? Or Higgo, who was traded to give him a chance at a winning GF, gets one? Or Mason Wood who was a wasted talent with us is part of the Saints' 2nd premiership over 50 years after the first?

I reckon I'd feel joy for none unless NMFC won one first.

My reference for the conundrum is Ross Glendinning vs Drew Petrie. Both went from us to the Eagles.

Glendinning elected to leave whilst he had some good footy ahead of him, but for personal reasons and returned to his home state.

Petrie was forced out when he had nothing left and went to the first team who would take him.

Glendinning lost the first time he played us in Melbourne and got roundly booed whenever he got near the ball.

Petrie was part of a convincing winning side in his first game for WC and even got cheered when he scored a goal against us.

This week BBB and Hester announced another baby on the way. Obviously I'm happy for them, and wish them the best but I'll confess a part of me felt that I didn't care as much as I would have 12 months ago. I always liked BBB, and was super impressed at club/family days with the way he interacted with my own kids and others. But, he just isn't one of "us" now. My initial reaction to his injury news this week was "caveat emptor" rather than any sympathy for him. It probably speaks more of me and my shortcomings than anything else.

Ben Brown, Shaun Higgins and Mason Wood look like being the 184th, 185th and 186th NMFC players to finish their careers playing at another club. The previous 20 are:

Ryan Clarke*, Braydon Preuss*, Mitch Hibberd, Corey Wagner, Sam Gibson, Aaron Mullett, Lindsay Thomas, Daniel Wells, Drew Petrie, Aaron Black, Ryan Bastinac, Dan Currie, Nathan Grima, Levi Greenwood*, Luke Delaney, Cam Pedersen, Aaron Edwards, Hamish McIntosh, Ben Ross and David Hale.

My first reaction is, "Wow, we haven't let much slip through our fingers lately". Only Hale, who won 3 premierships did anything after leaving NMFC. And, I was kind of numb to that. He was cooked when he went, Goldy had gone past him and McIntosh was still there so his leaving was fair enough. But, I felt no joy for him. Is that me? What about Gibson, who was 21st on this list? Unlike Hale, he walked out looking for something better and found it. So whilst I'm only meh on Hale, I'm actively cheesed off on Gibson. If the 2018 Grand Final finished 2 minutes earlier, how would I feel about Greenwood? The only NMFC players to leave and win a flag elsewhere in the AFL era are M.Stevens, Mooney, Pike, L.Brown, Gibson and Hale. Mark Stevens won it against us in 1998 so that pisses me off, Mooney and Pike won with us in 1999 and won multiple flags elsewhere, but didn't actively seek to leave so I'm OK with that, L.Brown and Hale felt done so I can deal with them. But Gibson annoys me a more. But I don't feel happy about any of them.

So what if BBB is part of the first Dees flag in nearly 60 years? Or Higgo, who was traded to give him a chance at a winning GF, gets one? Or Mason Wood who was a wasted talent with us is part of the Saints' 2nd premiership over 50 years after the first?

I think your very last sentence sums it up. It's been a while between drinks for us, and seeing an ex player of ours leave and pinch one with another mob would naturally sting a little. It's easier to feel joy for others achieving something if you personally aren't also jonesing for that same objective.

The terms that a player leaves on also has a big influence. I'd feel happier for Higgo if he got a flag than I would for Brown, for example. Not that Brown necessarily did anything wrong, but the exit was messy and just served to create an emotional barrier.

Most of those guys were discarded by the club, impossible to hold it against them for giving it another shot somewhere else. I would've been thrilled for guys like Sam Gibson or Lindsay Thomas if they'd found success at their new homes. Even a guy like Daniel Wells who'd given us 14 years, can't blame him for thinking about the future and taking the payday where he could get it.

When it comes down to it, I'll always feel a certain level of love for Ben Brown. For the 2014 elimination final, for giving me someone to point to as a vegan when people ask me dumb questions like where do I get my protein, also just for being a memorable character and putting in years as a dominant forward. It sucks that it had to end like this, but that doesn't mean the rest of his career never happened. also we'll manage, larkey is better anyway

It's a very fine line, as evidenced by the following examples

- Seeing Josh Gibson strut around for Hawthorn made me physically ill, what a campaigner.
- Was very happy for David Hale
- Actually watched a lot of West Coast games to follow Petrie and was so happy to see him play well in an elimination final for them
- Rode West Coast home in 2018 because the thought of Levi Greenwood - premiership player is not a world I want to live in
- Loved watching LT at Port, especially when he slaughtered Scott Selwood. Legend.

Going a ways back, I didn't feel anywhere near as resentful about players like Schwatta, Corsa etc doing well at other teams. Maybe because I was younger, or maybe the last 20 years has made me really sour and now I genuinely hate every other team. In short, * the rest and I hope we win five flags before any of Geelong, Melbourne or St Kilda even win one game.

Would people wish me well if I turncoated to another team and started posting on that respective team board?

Yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As soon as a player leaves North I couldn't care less about them..

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat, but must say seeing Dish and Simmo at The Franchise, and Corza to the paperbags was hard.

Last edited:
I just think it’s largely dependent on circumstance. It’s hard to feel too disgruntled at guys who are given the lemon and sars.

We had 6-7 guys follow Barassi to Melbourne in the early 80’s and I’m not sure we particularly wanted to keep any of them. Didn’t stop me being dirty that Brian Wilson won a Brownlow the following year but it’s not as though he walked out.

And anyone who booed a champion of the club like Ross Glendinning should be ashamed of themselves.

I have to agree with you on this. I'm like any ex North player who wins a flag at another club I couldnt care for, they couldnt do it with us, I dont want them to do it with another club.

My reference for the conundrum is Ross Glendinning vs Drew Petrie. Both went from us to the Eagles.

Glendinning elected to leave whilst he had some good footy ahead of him, but for personal reasons and returned to his home state.

Petrie was forced out when he had nothing left and went to the first team who would take him.

Glendinning lost the first time he played us in Melbourne and got roundly booed whenever he got near the ball.

Petrie was part of a convincing winning side in his first game for WC and even got cheered when he scored a goal against us.

Its lik
Carey, Pickett, Bell, Schwatta and Wellsy were hard to ignore.

And Corey

By the looks of it, what Ive seen sincce theyve stopped playing, it looks as though especially Wells and Bell just totally disregard North, its like thy never played for them.

Glendinning everytime he's interviewed seems like he's an Eagles supporter even though he played 40 games for them, compared to 190 for North.

I recall going to watch Carlton v someone so I could cheer Mighty Mick Martin in his 300th game.

I recall sitting with the North members & cheering when Jim Krakouer kicked a goal playing for the Saints.

Yet I think you are right b/c my heart wasn’t in it & it just felt hollow.

Forever grateful that Boomer never donned another team’s jumper.

It's a very fine line, as evidenced by the following examples

- Seeing Josh Gibson strut around for Hawthorn made me physically ill, what a campaigner.
- Was very happy for David Hale
- Actually watched a lot of West Coast games to follow Petrie and was so happy to see him play well in an elimination final for them
- Rode West Coast home in 2018 because the thought of Levi Greenwood - premiership player is not a world I want to live in
- Loved watching LT at Port, especially when he slaughtered Scott Selwood. Legend.

Going a ways back, I didn't feel anywhere near as resentful about players like Schwatta, Corsa etc doing well at other teams. Maybe because I was younger, or maybe the last 20 years has made me really sour and now I genuinely hate every other team. In short, fu** the rest and I hope we win five flags before any of Geelong, Melbourne or St Kilda even win one game.
I've gotten so cranky as I've aged that I despise the entire league except for us. **** all of them.

Glendinning everytime he's interviewed seems like he's an Eagles supporter even though he played 40 games for them, compared to 190 for North.

I shared 15 minutes with Roscoe at the Ivy nightclub back in the mid 90s.
After a Friday night game.
He was doing special comments for channel 7.
I asked him this very same thing/ where his heart lied.
He said North...in no uncertain terms
But that was 25 years ago, things might have changed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As soon as a player leaves North I couldn't care less about them..

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm the same.....don't even really see em as North players any more TBH. Having said that i didn't like seeing Gibbo have success. Bloke was tool.
hale I was like "Meh whatevs".
Rosco G leaving pissed me off at the time.

Depends how they leave. If we trade them, I don't wish them ill. Greenwood and Gibson I really didn't like. Happy to see Higgins grab a flag next year if we cant do it (certainly prefer it to another tigers one)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back