Players who made the most of their(average) talents with work ethic

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Harley. Great person, great captain, great mark, great work ethic, average skills, and for a Geelong player, very poor shot at goal.
Brenton Sanderson. Another near 200 gamer for us with limited ability. Hard worker.
Steve Hocking- ditto Sando/ hard work.

Last edited:
Rowan Jones, Tyson Stenglein, Dean Kemp, John Worsfold to name a few from the Eagles.

Certainly guys like Rooke, Maxwell and even Jake King come to mind from other clubs. King was the definition of a battler but was actually a dangerous forward at his best.

A few Dogs are getting mentioned. Yes Cross did brilliantly with what he had but Morris I think takes the prize from our lot. Was still playing VFL (at times reserves) at 22 and will now finish as an All-Australian 250 game premiership player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duncan and Andrew Kellaway at Richmond spring to mind.

Daniel Cross worked really hard and set high training standards for himself, despite the fact he wasn't a clean kick or had much outside game

I'd say Chris Newman for us would be a good shout.

Drafted at pick 55 back in 2000 and no career achievements or honours to really speak of. Was captain between 09 and '12 and played 268 games as a small, largely unheralded defender. Received life membership for his service. Sure some might point out that Richmond circa his time at the club was putrid but reading about him, he was a great professional, leader and person while not being the most celebrated player. Just a genuine bloke who helped get the best out of his teammates and helped set high standards. Playing 268 games is a great outcome too given he broke his leg midway through his career.
And is the hot tip to succeed Clarkson when he’s had enough.

I couldn't agree more. Max Rookie played on prue grit and determination

The 09 grand final personified that. Did nothing fancy but just kept going and going and when everyone else was exhausted and barely able to move he just kept at it. That point he kicked in the last was just pure determination.

Picken is sort of the same. Great mark but there’s nothing overly talented about him. He is just a mongrel and attacks each contest as if it were his last.

Can't believe more people aren't saying Brent Stanton. Couldn't kick, didn't win a hard ball, and was "only" 183cm tall. Players like that typically don't make AFL careers, but his ability to will himself to run all day saw him average over 22 touches across over 250 games in his career.

Can't believe more people aren't saying Brent Stanton. Couldn't kick, didn't win a hard ball, and was "only" 183cm tall. Players like that typically don't make AFL careers, but his ability to will himself to run all day saw him average over 22 touches across over 250 games in his career.
Suspect it’s the fact he was a first round pick and a highly rated junior so his success is less of a surprise.

Jack Viney for me. He isn’t as clean as someone like Oliver and his kicking is below average (With no right foot to speak of) but his sheer ferocity at the contest helps. Athletically he is good (Quick and very strong for his size) but in terms of pure talent he wouldn’t be in the top 10 at Melbourne.

Daniel Cross worked really hard and set high training standards for himself, despite the fact he wasn't a clean kick or had much outside game

Nah mate, Cross was genuinely a fantastic inside mid who made the players around him train harder and walk taller thanks to being a fantastic leader.

Tom Harley was one of those blokes that was always going to be high up in "the best team man"/ "Best Clubman" award...which means he was a consistent trier and gave his all in every game. Cameron Ling was another player whose persistence paid off each week, i have a picture on my wall that moves faster than Lingy, yet he was rarely out of the best players each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back