Players who made the most of their(average) talents with work ethic

Remove this Banner Ad

Tarkyn Lockyer.

Relied on gut running and ironically was destroyed by the very thing that might have led to Collingwood’s 2010 premiership - a high rotation, burst game plan.

Generally a beautiful user of the ball and should’ve been a link up half forward flanker for his entire career instead of just his final two years.

Brent Harvey and Dustin Fletcher.

Today I would say Trent Cotchin.

Ridiculous statement.

Both of those had enormous natural talent. Just because they played a long time doesn't mean they were "grafters". Harvey got a home and away game in the North 96 premiership side in his first year on the list, was a key component of Pagan's Paddock by 98, BOG in a state of origin game in 99. In fact, Harvey is one of the more naturally talented players to have run around in the last few decades.

Fletcher was also an absolute gun when he was younger, great defender, magnificent long and accurate kick, beautiful reader of the play. Just because Essendon played him two years too long and the we had the embarrassing spectacle of his 400th - where he was injured then didn't play after half time - because they needed to generate some good news amid the debacle of the investigation into their team wide doping program (that subsequently saw 34 players, including Fletcher, suspended for a year for doping).

Cotchin is also a gun, though I'd have hima level below those two, well, more accurately, him and Fletcher on the same level, below Harvey in the natural talent stakes.

Current players, in my team, Kane Lambert is the clear winner of this award.

Mature age rookie selection in 2014, despite Denis Pagan singing his praises. Third in the B&F in a premiership year. Barely known by other teams' supporters.

The quintessential workhorse.

By the way, whoever said Cotchin, Dustin Fletcher and GA Snr doesn’t know much about football.

Brent. Id say he was never a superstar but his incredible work ethic had him right near the top for the vast bulk of his career.

Never a superstar apart from being 4 x All Australian, 2nd in a Brownlow, two premierships, Ted Whitten Medal, 5 x club champion, club captain, captained his country, multiple media awards for best player of the season.

I mean, Jesus and his mother.

If you said Adam Simpson, who is also highly decorated in terms of stuff like playing in premiership teams, captaining the club, B+Fs, I'd agree (although Simmo was first round draft pick).

But Brent Harvey was an out and out game breaking, match winning off his own boot, absolutely elite gun of the competition, from pretty much his second/third season on.

Cross has been mentioned, but Damian Peverill would be the other I thought of.
He'd admit he didn't have the natural talent of most blokes around him but seemed to give 100% every game, training session, etc. The epitome of a bloke who left nothing on the track every game he played.

Along these lines, I have always said Damian Hardwick was s bloke with little skill who played around 250 games, B&F, AA, premiership player. Players like him are always loved at clubs and the Essendon and Port faithful certainly did.

Yep, good call. Hardwick came up in the Golden Generation North under 19s team, but didn't kick on with us. Followed Pagan to Essendon when Pagan coached their twos for a year, then his career blossomed.

Matt Boyd
Dale Morris
Matt Priddis
Brent Harvey
Cameron Ling
Tom Harley
Nick Maxwell
Shaun Hart
Dominic Cassissi
Rupert Betheras
Simon Prestigiacomo
Andrew Carrazzo
Shaun McManus
Jason Johnson
Brett Kirk
Brad / Chris Scott
Shane Woewodin
James McDonald
Nathan Jones
Brent Harvey, average talent?

Cameron Ling- no chance he would have made it as a 100kg full forward in the AFL. Worked his bum off (literally) to become one of the great taggers in the game, an All Australian and premiership captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not overly tall for a KPD (smaller than Jack), not overly quick, average skills, yet he became a legend. Looked like a frog in a blender in his junior footage.

If that's not making the most of average talents then I don't know what is. Not sure why you're offended.

Well maybe because, he’s 3cm taller than jack....teal cup for Vic ....then Australian junior team, kicked over 200 goals & fullback of century, 7 time all Australian...etc etc
Very talented from juniors onward.
So you are wrong...that’s why he’s offended!

Again, outstanding talent, just not a great kick.

Bigfooty's idea that talent doesn't extend beyond the capability to kick well is bizarre.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fyfe’s best year coincided with an increase in mass (both due to increased weight losfing and the cumulative pre-seasons).
Fyfe made a lot of contest due to an increased fitness level. He exploded out of contests due to an increased power. His field and goal kicking is normal. His decision making is normal. His one-on-one marking ability is due to strength rather than reading the play quicker. His hands aren’t ‘outstanding’ either.

He has a talent to work hard, he is not a purely natural footballer. It is his talent to make contests and physically impose himself that makes him stand out.

I would suggest Mundy is a more natural (or talented) footballer and Barlow is a harder worker. But Fyfe is a harder worker than Mundy and more natural talent than Barlow.

Thoughts?

Fyfe’s best year coincided with an increase in mass (both due to increased weight losfing and the cumulative pre-seasons).
Fyfe made a lot of contest due to an increased fitness level. He exploded out of contests due to an increased power. His field and goal kicking is normal. His decision making is normal. His one-on-one marking ability is due to strength rather than reading the play quicker. His hands aren’t ‘outstanding’ either.

He has a talent to work hard, he is not a purely natural footballer. It is his talent to make contests and physically impose himself that makes him stand out.

I would suggest Mundy is a more natural (or talented) footballer and Barlow is a harder worker. But Fyfe is a harder worker than Mundy and more natural talent than Barlow.

Thoughts?
Your muppet with no idea and likely a troll

Thoughts?
Again, you’re conflating being an average field kick with being an average talent in general. As someone who has watched every game of his since his debut I can say with confidence that he’s freakishly talented and regularly does things few others are capable of, and it’s not because of body mass

Your muppet with no idea and likely a troll
How is his kicking?
Is his decision making dictated by tunnel vision?
Does his one on one marking rely on strength and can it be suspect to a less physical player who reads the ball better?
His body has shown to be suspect to the extra muscle (and targeted contact). He has now slimmed down and it will be interesting to see how he manages without the size/strength advantage.

*you’re a muppet
Person insults are pretty low. Please address the topic.

Again, you’re conflating being an average field kick with being an average talent in general. As someone who has watched every game of his since his debut I can say with confidence that he’s freakishly talented and regularly does things few others are capable of, and it’s not because of body mass
And set shot.
And very rarely moves the ball sideways when it is the stronger option.
Even it is only his kicking that is average to poor, it is a major aspect of the game.

Thoughts?
How many people have a leap and take contested marks like Fyfe?

Bit of talent there.

He puts the ball to good spots without being a great kick (kinda like Judd). Great handball and glides along the turf.

Also wins most 1 on 1s, despite it being through his athletic ability it is still talent.

How many people have a leap and take contested marks like Fyfe?

Bit of talent there.

He puts the ball to good spots without being a great kick (kinda like Judd). Great handball and glides along the turf.

Also wins most 1 on 1s, despite it being through his athletic ability it is still talent.
I absolutely agree. I think his dominant year was one of the best ever.

I think he was better that year then many other players with more football specific talent.

He works hard, has great disciple and is a tremendous athlete. To that end, I believe he has made the very, very best out of his average football talent with enormous discipline and work.

I guess I understood the discussion to be about natural football talents vs athletic ability and hard work.

How is his kicking?
Is his decision making dictated by tunnel vision?
Does his one on one marking rely on strength and can it be suspect to a less physical player who reads the ball better?
His body has shown to be suspect to the extra muscle (and targeted contact). He has now slimmed down and it will be interesting to see how he manages without the size/strength advantage.

*you’re a muppet
Person insults are pretty low. Please address the topic.
Therse no point other than to insult you and your lack of intelligence or as i suspect just General dislike for nat fyfe and the accolades he gets from media ,fans for his footballing ability.
its ok mate we all have our opp players with ability who we think are overated ,perhaps thats the thread you should be posting in ?
but clearly your bitterness is seeing you post here and then trying to justify it by eloborating on his issues(kicking mainly) but then downplaying his strengths(marking-its all due to strength ),f@#en lol cause yeah hes never been matched up on someone stronger than him.
I mean gablett snr had ridiculous core strength and used that to his advatage was he average?,ben cousins was widely acknowledged for his gut running and abiltiy to get too contests but he was just an honest hard working footballer too hey? Robert harvey could bafely kick over a jam tin so yup must ve been just average "trier"
Tell me, in your beloved PAPS team who do you think is a more talented and complete footballer than Fyfe?

I mean gablett snr had ridiculous core strength and used that to his advatage was he average?,ben cousins was widely acknowledged for his gut running and abiltiy to get too contests but he was just an honest hard working footballer too hey? Robert harvey could bafely kick over a jam tin so yup must ve been just average "trier"
Tell me, in your beloved PAPS team who do you think is a more talented and complete footballer than Fyfe?
G. Ablett Snr. was an excellent set shot, snap and soccer kick.
Ben Cousins has great awareness and vision through traffic. He also remarkably quick and accurate hands.
Robert Harvey positioned himself very well at contest. His kicking to a target less than 40 metres away was accurate.
I believe these players to have more natural accumen than Fyfe.
For Fyfe to have reached the exceptionally high standards he has is a testament to his hard work and discipline.

Robbie Gray is a more natural football than Fyfe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back