Opinion Players who need a big 2018

Discussion in 'Essendon' started by TheGrizz, Sep 13, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. TheGrizz

TheGrizz All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I saw a similar thread on an opposition team board and thought it would work here too. Obviously retirements and eventual delistings will change the focus of this board but it would be interesting to see who the rest of this Board thinks needs a big year next year to keep their AFL dream alive!

Obviously before delistings, but perhaps more geared to players we are a chance to keep.

In no particular order:

Aaron Francis - Woosha has set the Ultimatum, Now's the time young fella to pull out the proverbial finger.

Alex Morgan - The VFL final might have bought him a year on the rookie list. With McGrath playing up the ground next year and Kelly retiring, a spot has opened for a rebounding defender. Do you want it bad enough son?

Jake Long - See Re Morgan above. If he survives this years cull, he wont next year if he doesnt improve.

Mason Redman - Might be a bit out of the blue, but the kid didnt play a game this year and I am unsure of his best position. There are questions over his skill level under pressure... what does he become?

Michael Hartley - Promising year last year, inconsistent is fair to say this year. Will be 25 mid-next year so how much development is left? The personnel changed in the backline a fair bit this year so perhaps a mini-pass, but cant afford another inconsistent season.

What does everyone think?

Snake Charmer and Fridge16 like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. DapperJong

DapperJong Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Juventus
    I've already sent Long and Morgan to my mental scrap heap.

3. Fridge16

Fridge16 Debutant

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Francis

/end thread

Jade and windyhill like this.
  4. ScrappyCoCo

ScrappyCoCo Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    David Myers needs a really big year I think, and Colyer. If Dave plays similar to this year, young developing players will come past him in a hurry.

5. Runk

Runk Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Not important
    I agree. Colyer needs a huge year at West coast.

6. D_P_S

D_P_S Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Francis far and away is the one.

Im hoping Laverde gets a fair crack with his injurys aswell

chogby likes this.
  7. eth-dog

eth-dog TheBrownDog

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
    Agree with all of those (except Morgan off the list), here are a few others

Bellchambers. OOC and will want to solidify the #1 ruck spot next year

Green. Solid year but needs to back it up, the gulf between his best and worst is still too large.

Myers. 2 years left on his contract but needs to back it up if he wants to be more than depth in 2019.

Brown. Missed a lot due to injury and needs to have a good year to be retained on the list.

Langford. Need him to step up in his 4th year with plenty of outs in the midfield he'll get his chance in there.

Colyer. See Myers.

Laverde. See Langford.

Most of the others I'm giving a break (1st year and showed enough) or are firmly entrenched in the 22 or depth/getting cut.

ant555 and chogby like this.
  8. VelvetSledge

VelvetSledge Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC, Victory
    Kyle Langford, come ooooon doooowwwwnn!

9. Yoda_

Yoda_ Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
    Langford - The bloke has missed hardly any footy and has been unable to string together and extended period of AFL quality matches (at senior level).

Laverde - Injured

Francis - ditto Langford

10. Fin ice Smuggler

Fin ice Smuggler Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Francis, Laverde, Langford, mutch, Ridley, Draper

If we are going to improve these kids need to be playing seniors next year and contributing.

Draper - less so, but as developing ruck would be great if he got a few games into him for his development.

11. Donakebab

Donakebab Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Detroit Red Wings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. BrunoV

BrunoV Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Thought that this would be about the players who need a big 2018 to progress the team forward.

If I'm answering that question there wouldn't be two more important players than Laverde and Langford having huge seasons as midfielders. They could turn our midfield into one of the most promising in the AFL or we could continue to struggle if they don't have 'break out' years. While I doubt that either is playing for a career in 2018, it is possible that they could be looking for new homes if their careers don't progress substantially. I feel dirty for having typed that last sentence.

It would be invaluable for Hartley to not only re-discover what worked for him in 2016 but develop his game further to be more effective on the lead and a better intercept player to genuinely hold down full back. If he can do that we are a significantly better side. We have key defensive options but they're suspect and we got found out trying to defend the high ball more often that I would have expected at the start of the year. It would be a spectacular fall for him not to have an AFL career for 2019 but certainly not impossible.

Redman is someone who I'd love to complete the transformation into a best 22 defender as we're light for run in defence. If he has a big year, it's another position for us to tick off for the long term build. He's otherwise contracted until 2019 so next year is not that much of an issue for him.

Francis is, likewise, contracted for 2019 so there is no particular urgency for him. I'm happy to continue to bide my time with Francis because I'm not seeing a natural part of his game that demands his selection because it helps the team. The closest he gets is as a commanding intercept marking defender but he's hardly shown that in the VFL. The reality is that he's a utility and he's going to have to continue to evolve his game in the three parts of the ground. I expect him to get an opportunity next year and I expect that he'll take it but I suspect that I'll be arguing with posters who want to de-list him because he hasn't been selected for round 1.

The players who have contracts for next year who will be under pressure to keep their spots unless they have big years would be Mitch Brown (he's now something like 27 and still struggling with the rigors of AFL footy), Clarke (whose kicking could be bad enough to see that project aborted if something doesn't change dramatically - thought that would be extremely disappointing) and Dea (who hasn't played a lot this year and is quite possibly just a stop-gap to give us a bit of depth). Goddard could fall of 'the cliff' due to age.

Leuenberger probably doesn't struggle for a career until 2020 because it's always useful to have an experienced ruck in reserve. Bellchambers is not playing for a career when he is now clearly the number 1. His main concern will be the value of his next contract. Gleeson and Stewart are just working out when to start negotiations to maximise the value of their respective 3 to 4 year deals.

I don't see any likely scenario that has Ridley, Begley, Mutch or Draper not on our list for 2019 and well beyond. No point even mentioning McGrath.

Baguley, Bird and Green will all struggle to be on an AFL list in 2019. I'm assuming that Hocking and Howlett are already cooked.

Morgan would be very lucky to hold on as would Long though I'd hope that we give Long one more year (because his form came together at the right time and then he got suspended and our VFL finals campaign ended prematurely). Yes it's partially sentiment but Long also has a lot of really useful raw attributes so it's not like we're holding out for him to become his dad when it's completely impossible. I reckon it's in there and whether or not he has the mental side of the game under enough control will determine whether we ever see it (if he gets the opportunity).

Not against Morgan being retained as a rookie (what ever that means on a 2018 list), I just see him as the same age as Long but even further back than what Long is. Guys with genuine pace and the ability to use the ball are always worth persisting with that little bit longer. Invariably they struggle to build their bodies as quickly as others.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Mr Mojo Risin, Liberator and mike14 like this.
  13. Capt Hindsight

Capt Hindsight Cancelled

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Aaron Francis
    Jayden Laverde
    Kyle Langford
    David Myers
    Travis Colyer
    Josh Green (hopefully foot is healed before preseason training)
    Mason Redman
    Mitch Brown
    Tom Bellchambers
    Dyson Heppell

Morgan, Howlett, Long and Jackson Merrett if not delisted.

14. citizen-erased

citizen-erased Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Jake stringer? ;)

15. Laverde2Smack

Laverde2Smack Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Francis has had plenty of injuries. Not sure about the comparison to Langford.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

16. Bomberbuzz1

Bomberbuzz1 All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    For the team I think it's Heppell and Bellchambers.
    They are the experienced leaders in there and they are going to be required to be desperate and put their body on the line for the younger guys.
    They may be on the receiving end of a few but they will be in the thick of the 'moments' more so than any other players and will need to win a fair share of these.

The other players are Francis Langford and laverde. Anything less than a combined 20 games between them is a complete failure in development more so then themselves.

17. Laverde2Smack

Laverde2Smack Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Jake Stringer. Knives will be out after we give #11 for the package.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

18. MAAAATTDAAAAMON

MAAAATTDAAAAMON Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    3 most important: Laverde, Langford and Francis.

Sadly, I still haven't seen much from Jayden Laverde to believe he is going to make it, let alone be a gun. I've seen more form Langford, but both needing big years. Francis shows plenty of talent, but needs to show commitment and consistency.

19. Bombermania

Bombermania Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Non that play Essendon
    Colyer: needs to learn how to turn his pace to his advantage by this use the space it creates for him to slow down and hit a target rather than just spray his disposals as though he is always under the pump even when five meters clear.

Francis: I am confidence that with a full preseason he can have a big 2018, he has shown what he can do and just needs to improve his fitness and the rest should fall into place

Langford: Has shown a little bit to say he has talent but just needs to get some aggression into his game but that will come with experience and confidence

LaVarde: Like Francis just needs a clear run free of injuries and he should be primed for a big year

20. yaco55

yaco55 Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Will list 6 players

Francis
    Laverde
    Langford
    Redman
    Ridley
    Mutch

Things have gone wrong unless four of those are in the round 1 AFL team.

21. Bombers36

Bombers36 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Im going to pick out 4 guys who the club has shown faith in and given contracts to until the end of 2019 - but they have yet to really show much...
    These 4 guys need to improve & show much more than what they have thus far;-

Francis - pick #6 but only 5 AFL games and his ability to play out an entire AFL game questionable
    Myers - has his fans, (Im not one of them!), but like Francis was pick #6 and has hardly lived up to that - love to be proven wrong
    Redman - yet to debut but has shown glimpses in the VFL. Drafted as a forward but may be an option down back...can he have a breakout year in 2018?
    Colyer - not sure where he is at - has pace - but does he have anything else..??

22. Seagrave_Holmes

Seagrave_Holmes Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Australian Test Cricket Team
    Jake Stringer, hopefully he can prove the doubters wrong and recapture his 2015 form.

Scottie65 likes this.
  23. Towno78

Towno78 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    This list is not for potential delistings next year, just players I want to see have a big year as it will have a big impact on our on field fortunes.
    Parish
    Colyer
    Laverde
    Francis
    Ridley
    Begley
    Long
    Morgan

24. daffo

daffo Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Laverde, Langford and Francis. These are the guys we need to take a huge step up to be a top four side.

25. BattlerGM

BattlerGM Senior List

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Not exactly a list on 'who needs a big year' but moreso an analysis of whom we need more out of. Righto. Let's get feral.

Francis - It's not panic stations yet. But if he stays injury free he needs 10 games minimum. Anything less and there'll be significant cause for concern.

Hurley - *Ducks head* - yeah, you heard me. I'll get shot for saying this but I think his AA selection flatters him somewhat. I don't feels he's overrated. He's excellent but it's just that output from defenders of all clubs is gauged too heavily on what they do offensively. Not enough emphasis is placed on what defenders do defensively. Hurls needs to work on this, as do some of our other key positions backs.

Heppell - Overall, was good this year, but is 'good' good enough? For a captain? At times he played some fantastic footy. At others, he was poor. Went missing when needed most too often for a captain. Had a stinker in the elim final. Not yet decided on whether or not he's the right choice to lead the team.

Redman - A touch harsh as he's only just completed his second season. Should be aiming for half a dozen games next year.

Langford - Round 23 against Carlton last year showed what he's capable of but Essendon have a history of hanging onto players for too long. Has done next to sfa after 3 seasons that haven't been hampered by injury. I don't buy into the hype. Like Francis, he needs 10 games. Only difference being that if Langford doesn't play 10 games this year he should be delisted/traded.

Colyer - Was absolutely putrid this year. So much focus from outside the club was on the return of Hooker, Hurley, Heppell and Watson. Colyer was barely mentioned which I thought was discrediting Trav. He was pretty good on 14/15. This year he couldn't get near it, was a chronic fumbler and his kicking returned to its 2011 days. Forget the whole year, start again and hope for better things in 2018. Confident he can turn it around.

Laverde - Not quite in the same boat as Langford as his 2017 was stuffed by injury. But he needs to start delivering.

Leuenbeger, Myers, Long and Morgan are all garbage.

Tassieboy likes this.