Josh Dunkley
Seb Ross
Rory Sloane
Conor rozze
Dayne zorko
Brodie Grundy
Jeremy finlayson

Shuey?

He is 30 years old and will go down as one of our greatest ever players irregardless of what he does from here. I couldnt think of anyone at our club that doesnt need a big year moreso.

Eagles one is obvious as all buggery in Tim Kelly. He was poor this year and probably not in our top 3 midfielders for the season. Needs to lift big time to justify his wage

As long as Isaac Smith plays a blinder against Hawthorn I don’t really care how he goes

Sydney Stack. As talented as they come but needs to pull his finger out.

Shuey?

He is 30 years old and will go down as one of our greatest ever players irregardless of what he does from here. I couldnt think of anyone at our club that doesnt need a big year moreso.

Eagles one is obvious as all buggery in Tim Kelly. He was poor this year and probably not in our top 3 midfielders for the season. Needs to lift big time to justify his wage

Kelly finished 7th in your b and f with more votes than JK and Darling and only 2 less than Liam ryan (148 - 150). I know he was injured but Shuey played very poorly this season compared to last year. Him and redden probably cost you that elim final and barrass early on. What he's done in the past does not matter now as you are still in your window for a second flag in 4 years

I'll only comment on the players I watch more closely being the Tigers players, I think a few are:

Josh Caddy: He's at the dangerous age in his late 20s where if he falls out of the side too often and plays VFL he might be questioned as to whether he is a player in our plans moving forward or if he's been overtaken and should look elsewhere.

Patrick Naish: Probably should have played more this year ideally, but next year he will be 22 with a few preseasons under his belt and would well and truly want to be establishing himself in the side. He's a fringe player at the moment but as an outside winger/flanker he's not a hugely valued commodity if he can't break into the 22.

Ryan Garthwaite/ Ben Miller: It's probably boom or bust for him next year as a KPD with a few preseasons under the belt, if he's not playing I doubt he sticks around. I doubt both are on the list in 2022, and if one breaks into the side or looks a better prospect it's probably trouble for the other.

Collier-Dawkins: Another who needs to start playing regularly in the side. Would still be safe on the list, but there'd be questions asked and he is very much expected to be pushing best 22 next year after another preseason of development.

Stack/Coleman-Jones: For the exact same reasons, two talented youngsters who made a mistake but in good faith have been kept on the list over others. Needless to say they more than anyone probably need to now pay back some of that faith and what they cost the club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed with the tigers mentioned above.

I'll add Daniel Rioli to the mix. Yes, he played 18 games this year, but Hardwick has been willing to drop players if they don't fit into the mix and there's someone else who can play the position better. IMO he's clearly one of Richmond's worst regular players.

Pickett also needs a big season. He was disappointing to a lot of tiger fans who think that he peaked in his first game. He's a handy rotation but turns 29 in January and his role could possibly be replaced by a younger midfielder like Ross and Collier-Dawkins.

Houli could low-key be taken over by a young flanker. Turns 33 in May, he struggled with consistency and was injured in the grand final, but the tigers didn't miss a beat.

Shuey?

gross overreaction. Kelly was elite this year. Was he as good as the previous season? Probably not. But most of his metrics, when you allow for the 16-minutes of reduced game time for each match, were more or less where they were the previous season. In fact his tackling increased clearly. His goals were down, his inside 50s were up. He averaged a goal assist per game, which, factoring in the reduced time, was basically double what he was producing at Geelong.

Calling him poor would be like calling Patrick Dangerfield 'poor' because he didn't produce his best season.

I think some Eagles fans are guilty of assuming Kelly would walk in and just immediately make the side unbeatable or something. Midfielders rarely do this.

Last edited:
For the Cats:
Obviously Higgins, Cameron and Smith would be up there but I think we can assume roughly what sort of level they will produce.

Parfitt made the step up from promising to contributor this year. He can build on that further and become one of our elite players. He needs to.

Jake Kolodjashnij I believe has a lot of tools to become a really strong defender but he's benefitted so far from playing behind Stewart, Taylor, Blicavs, Tuohy etc and the time has come for him to become a key man.

gross overreaction. Kelly was elite this year. Was he as good as the previous season? Probably not. But most of his metrics, when you allow for the 16-minutes of reduced game time for each match, were more or less where they were the previous season. In fact his tackling increased clearly. His goals were down, his inside 50s were up. He averaged a goal per game, which, factoring in the reduced time, was basically double what he was producing at Geelong.

Calling him poor would be like calling Patrick Dangerfield 'poor' because he didn't produce his best season.

I think some Eagles fans are guilty of assuming Kelly would walk in and just immediately make the side unbeatable or something. Midfielders rarely do this.

We have a need that all of our midfielders contribute defensively as our game plan requires that. Kelly just doesnt put in defensively. He can either figure out too or go to a HFF at this stage.

He wasnt in our best 10 despite what the B&F says

Rory Lobb needs to step up as a key forward for Freo now Hogan is gone. Had a good first season at Freo as a ruck/forward but this year he seemed soft at times and his run up kicking for goal has completely alluded him. He’s on good coin too.

We have a need that all of our midfielders contribute defensively as our game plan requires that. Kelly just doesnt put in defensively. He can either figure out too or go to a HFF at this stage.

Mate, he led your tackle count for the entire team. And it wasn't even close. Yes there are a few other measures of defence but I'd have thought tackling the other team's players when they have the ball is a fairly good indicator.

Kelly - 75
Yeo - 56
Shuey - 45
Allen - 41
Gaff - 40

Aside from Sheed who pipped him by 6, and Naitanui who earns a contested possession for every hit-out, Kelly led your contested possession count too.

Try as hard as you want to make out like he's not putting in or something but there's not a lot of evidence beyond what comes across as a salty "I thought he'd win us a flag" disposition on your part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Larkey.

Will be North's most senior key forward next year.

Has done the apprenticeship, now has the opportuity.

Breakout year next year very possible.

Can become a 50+ goal a year KPF very easily if he WANTS it.

Agreed with the tigers mentioned above.

I'll add Daniel Rioli to the mix. Yes, he played 18 games this year, but Hardwick has been willing to drop players if they don't fit into the mix and there's someone else who can play the position better. IMO he's clearly one of Richmond's worst regular players.

Pickett also needs a big season. He was disappointing to a lot of tiger fans who think that he peaked in his first game. He's a handy rotation but turns 29 in January and his role could possibly be replaced by a younger midfielder like Ross and Collier-Dawkins.

Houli could low-key be taken over by a young flanker. Turns 33 in May, he struggled with consistency and was injured in the grand final, but the tigers didn't miss a beat.
Agree with all.

Only thing I'd challenge is if Rioli has played as many games as he has, he's in no trouble. Match committee have already shown a tendancy to pick him regardless and when he is dropped, they bring him back in after one average VFL game, clearly they feel he hits a need and fills a role that others can't at this stage.

I'm definetely in the Pickett peaked in the 19 GF camp, I reckon there are better options but he looks like a Hardwick favourite too.

And Houli will retire end of next year, regardless of how he goes I reckon next year is his last. Hopefully it's in good form and not struggling in the VFL and gifted a farewell game.

Mate, he led your tackle count for the entire team. And it wasn't even close. Yes there are a few other measures of defence but I'd have thought tackling the other team's players when they have the ball is a fairly good indicator.

Kelly - 75
Yeo - 56
Shuey - 45
Allen - 41
Gaff - 40

Aside from Sheed who pipped him by 6, and Naitanui who earns a contested possession for every hit-out, Kelly led your contested possession count too.

Try as hard as you want to make out like he's not putting in or something but there's not a lot of evidence beyond what comes across as a salty "I thought he'd win us a flag" disposition on your part.
Kelly was statistically one of our best pressure players (top 5 midfielders in the league for that stat actually).

Kelly is far from the spotlight on who needs to improve - Shuey, Yeo (injury related), Redden, Hutchings and Sheed all had games where they were down and the game plan unfortunately requires players to be near their best each week or it breaks down.

WC were 1 game out of the top 4 and 2 points away from winning a final. That could be beating the bulldogs late in the season or laying a bump on a Collingwood midfielder before an inside 50 in the 4th.

Improve a team by 5 contests per game for the whole season and it could mean the difference between bottom 8 and top 4.

Stephen Hill for us, needs to earn another contract.

For the Cats:
Obviously Higgins, Cameron and Smith would be up there but I think we can assume roughly what sort of level they will produce.

Parfitt made the step up from promising to contributor this year. He can build on that further and become one of our elite players. He needs to.

Jake Kolodjashnij I believe has a lot of tools to become a really strong defender but he's benefitted so far from playing behind Stewart, Taylor, Blicavs, Tuohy etc and the time has come for him to become a key man.
Wouldnt be surprised if he was left out of the team for J. Clark tbh. Wouldnt be the worst outcome - Clark's ceiling is way higher than kolo tbh

From the Eagles, Lewis Jetta and Mark Hutchings. With the youth coming in, they feel a LTI injury away from the end. They'll be 32 and 30 by mid next year.

I also feel like Brendon Ah Chee, Jack Petruccelle, Jarrod Brander, Brayden Ainsworth and Daniel Venables can't really afford an unhealthy/LTI '21, they need to perform and establish themselves in the best-22 by end '22 at the latest.

Wouldnt be surprised if he was left out of the team for J. Clark tbh. Wouldnt be the worst outcome - Clark's ceiling is way higher than kolo tbh
Agree with this, Kolo has reached his peak as an average AFL level defender. Clark still has the potential to be an absoloute gun

Stephen Hill for us, needs to earn another contract.

Surely he is done

Brad Hill.

Dan Hannebery and Brad Crouch too.

Big name recruits.

The Saints' young players and lesser known recruits really stepped up in 2020. These big name recruits on good coin need to join them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back