Players who need to have big seasons in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac Langdon

James Stewart- blink of an eye and you’re the main man. Flash in pan his whole career, can he stand up and become someone substantial when the team needs him.

Michael Hurley- the role we had him playing along aside Goddard ruined his competitiveness. Can he salvage his reputation and legacy under Rutten?

Paddy Dow - injures for 18 months needs a solid preseason and to back himself in.
SPS - Needs to bring his solid defensive game onto the ball (with coaches approval of course)
Charlie Curnow - needs to grow up and put everything into his rehab. Take his time. Last Chance. If it happens again he’s not coming back.
Marchbank - superstar waiting for the gods to let him play. 2021 could be it.

Surely he is done
Prior to Ross Lyon years he was one of our most consistent in terms of games played. He bulked up a bit too much I think and after 2013 it really started to be too much for him. We've also sacked a few key members of our strength & conditioning and medical staff as well due to repeat injuries to key players like Hill. It's probably all a bit too late for Hill given he's 31 next year but who knows?

In terms of this thread he doesn't need a "big year", just needs to get back on the park consistently. Rory Lobb is the one that needs to step up big time if he wants his next contract to be anywhere near to what he's on now.

Whenever Richmond and Geelong play each other there's always a stark contrast in the kicking skills between Dusty Martin and Dangerfield. Dangerfield needs to spend a preseason learning to kick straight if he wants that elusive premiership.

Not the first time i've picked on him in a thread.
But Taylor Garner has had as many chances as Wood and Daw but is still on the list.

Jaeger Omera
Chad wingard
Tom Scully
Jon Patton
Mitch Lewis
Blake Hardwick
James worpel
Tom Mitchell
Liam shiels

All severely underperformed last season, some due to injury but no excuses in 2021...if that group can all have a strong 2021 we may just be able to finish as high as 13th.

Tim English. There comes a point in time where you have to somewhat deliver on your potential otherwise you are what you are. He’s had a couple of years development in the seniors and now has some assistance with Stef Martin so there’s no excuse now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim English. There comes a point in time where you have to somewhat deliver on your potential otherwise you are what you are. He’s had a couple of years development in the seniors and now has some assistance with Stef Martin so there’s no excuse now.

Good call as he is reaching an age where the good ruckmen start beginning to show signs they can dominate games. He is still young so he might not be able to consistently do that, but he needs to show signs in 2021 that he can do it sometimes.

Good call as he is reaching an age where the good ruckmen start beginning to show signs they can dominate games. He is still young so he might not be able to consistently do that, but he needs to show signs in 2021 that he can do it sometimes.

He's shown that already. Just needs to get rid of the games where he has his pants pulled down completely.

From a Dogs perspective.

Josh Bruce - Terrible year. Hopefully with a proper pre season he'll perform better.

Josh Schache - Unsighted in 2020 pretty much.

Bailey Dale - Needs to recapture his end of year 2019 form.

Ed Richards - Not getting enough out of him considering the ammoubt of games he's been given to prove himself.

Aaron Naughton - Needs to start impacting more games. Hopefully he gets an uninterupted run at it.

So basically our entire forward line.

Whenever Richmond and Geelong play each other there's always a stark contrast in the kicking skills between Dusty Martin and Dangerfield. Dangerfield needs to spend a preseason learning to kick straight if he wants that elusive premiership.

Too entrenched now. It's more his kicking is erratic as opposed to poor anyway.

He needs a better season, but he's never going to be told that because I doubt anyone at the club is willing to acknowledge his 2020 was less than flawless.

Most of Carltons list, however

Harry McKay - If he learns to kick straight, could become a marquee player and expect a big pay day..
Jack Silvagni - I Love Jack, but if he finds himself out of the best 22 his career may come to a sudden end
Mitch McGovern - Needs to show so much more or he will be playing at Aberfeldie in 2022
Matt Kennedy - Another who is out of contract, mid 20s and yet to prove he can play at the level.
Marc Murphy - Is harsh but if he doesnt have a big 2021 and reinvent himself in a position that is not a midfielder he will be forced out.

Surely he is done
Surely the perception you share with many is the exact reason he needs to have a good year 20121 on pain of being gonski if he doesn't. Which seems to fit the thread title exactly. Unlike many of the nominations which are based more on it being important for their side that they have a good 2021, rather than them needing to do so for the sake of their career.

Too entrenched now. It's more his kicking is erratic as opposed to poor anyway.

He needs a better season, but he's never going to be told that because I doubt anyone at the club is willing to acknowledge his 2020 was less than flawless.

Yes because he's got such an erratic explosive personality and regularly blows up. I'm positive a bunch of people who's job it is to actually assess and critique players are way too scared to ever say anything like "you played well most of the season but this is what we would like to see improving."

Chad Wingard. Isn't entirely his fault because I'm certain if he played 70/30 mid/fwd we'd see the best of him. Currently he is playing at least 60/40 forward/mid in a team that is struggling to score and move the ball quickly.
However in some games he looks totally uninterested and it's just absolutely time to see some killer instinct.

Luke Breust.
Needs to show he is still elite. If he has a down year again I'll be concerned that he is pretty much done.

Jake Stringer, gotta shed 6-8 kegs and get fit, has too much talent and in his prime years.

I'll only comment on the players I watch more closely being the Tigers players, I think a few are:

Josh Caddy: He's at the dangerous age in his late 20s where if he falls out of the side too often and plays VFL he might be questioned as to whether he is a player in our plans moving forward or if he's been overtaken and should look elsewhere.

Patrick Naish: Probably should have played more this year ideally, but next year he will be 22 with a few preseasons under his belt and would well and truly want to be establishing himself in the side. He's a fringe player at the moment but as an outside winger/flanker he's not a hugely valued commodity if he can't break into the 22.

Ryan Garthwaite/ Ben Miller: It's probably boom or bust for him next year as a KPD with a few preseasons under the belt, if he's not playing I doubt he sticks around. I doubt both are on the list in 2022, and if one breaks into the side or looks a better prospect it's probably trouble for the other.

Collier-Dawkins: Another who needs to start playing regularly in the side. Would still be safe on the list, but there'd be questions asked and he is very much expected to be pushing best 22 next year after another preseason of development.

Stack/Coleman-Jones: For the exact same reasons, two talented youngsters who made a mistake but in good faith have been kept on the list over others. Needless to say they more than anyone probably need to now pay back some of that faith and what they cost the club.

I'd say Naish & EGG are fighting over Houli's spot with him winding down. Both were probably behind Markov, but with him gone, the contest between the two will be interesting. The loser will either move on to another club (if there are takers) or remain as depth until a new kid comes along.

Caddy is the interesting one...Too good to be in the 2s, but really just can't find a spot. They tried to make a wingman of him last year, but he just didn't have the speed/stamina for it. Will another pre season help him there, or is there another spot he'd be better suited to?

He needs to spend summer in the weight room, get a Pentridge haircut and tatts and live on raw meat for a few months. At the moment he’s like “that really tall kid” in year 11 at Brighton Grammar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back