Players who need to have big seasons in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Shuey?

He is 30 years old and will go down as one of our greatest ever players irregardless of what he does from here. I couldnt think of anyone at our club that doesnt need a big year moreso.

Eagles one is obvious as all buggery in Tim Kelly. He was poor this year and probably not in our top 3 midfielders for the season. Needs to lift big time to justify his wage
Sounds like a troll but I honestly thought he was injured for a lot of the year. Didn't realise he played 18 games.

Dusty needs a big year. Huge expectations on him from the outside.

Aaron Naughton - Needs to start impacting more games. Hopefully he gets an uninterupted run at it.
Naughton needs to have a mediocre year so that they move him into defence to become the dominant chb he was born to be.

Jaidyn Stephenson
Tom Mcdonald
Josh Caddy
Dyson Heppell
Sam day
Paddy Dow
Stephen Hill
Tom Scully
Lance Franklin
Luke Shuey
Jeremy Cameron
Josh Dunkley
Seb Ross
Rory Sloane
Conor rozze
Dayne zorko
Brodie Grundy
Jeremy finlayson
dunno bout Caddy,hes pretty much done,same as sloane and hill and day,these players are well past it mate

Nick Larkey.

Will be North's most senior key forward next year.

Has done the apprenticeship, now has the opportuity.

Breakout year next year very possible.

Can become a 50+ goal a year KPF very easily if he WANTS it.
Somehow I doubt it...

Adelaide
Chayce Jones - Needs to be a best 22 player, figure out whether hes best at HFF, Mid or Wing. Struggled to get 6 possesions a game, SANFL player right now.

Ned McHenry - Wasted time using him midfield, should be playing small fwd. Should stop giving away free kicks. Dreadful 2020, SANFL player right now.

Darcy Fogarty - About the time (4th year) when key forwards make their mark, must trim down and somehow wire him to work harder. Beautiful kick and mark, just doesnt get to anywhere near enough contests.

Doedee - Needs to sort out his hamstring, otherwise a clear top 3 player for us.

Most guys people are listing are either already best 22 or young pushing into the AFL side.

At Essendon, none more in trouble than Jayden Laverde. 25 next year with 46 games. It really is now or never for a former first round selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grundy

Cameron

Hannebery

Franklin

Lynch

Dixon

Daniher

Basically anybody who got a big contract, or who lifted their output to earn one.
Tbh I reckon with 2 flags in the bag Lynch has earned it. At the very least we wouldn't have last years as he won us the prelim, and I doubt we win this year either (his absence was pretty obvious against Brisbane).

Adelaide
Chayce Jones - Needs to be a best 22 player, figure out whether hes best at HFF, Mid or Wing. Struggled to get 6 possesions a game, SANFL player right now.

Ned McHenry - Wasted time using him midfield, should be playing small fwd. Should stop giving away free kicks. Dreadful 2020, SANFL player right now.

Darcy Fogarty - About the time (4th year) when key forwards make their mark, must trim down and somehow wire him to work harder. Beautiful kick and mark, just doesnt get to anywhere near enough contests.

Doedee - Needs to sort out his hamstring, otherwise a clear top 3 player for us.
I have a strong feeling Jones is just nowhere near it. He does not look like he belongs in the AFL. Terrible draft for us

I think from the Saints there a few that would be aware that this is their year to make there presence felt. Jake Carlisle for one is on his last chance at the Saints. He was shopped around and there was no interest so if he wants to play past 30, he had best extract a digit.

Jager O'Meara, Stephen Coniglio and Dylan Shiel are all B+ players who should be consistent A graders.

JOM as our potential captain worries me because I don't feel as though he has the on-field game of a genuine leader. I desperately want him to prove me wrong this coming year.

Cogs needs a career season after being a captain who got dropped.

Shiel looks Brownlow worthy some weeks and completely off the pace in others. I like him, but i'd like to see him bridge that gap between his best and worst in 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps: carried some injuries this year but needs to re-establish himself amongst the best mids in the comp if Carlton is to start taking the next steps

Docherty: coming off two recos probably didn't have the intensity you'd like at stages, will be better for getting through the season.

JSOS: gets plenty of love from our fanbase due to his workrate but at present, he's not quite a forward & not quite a midfielder - needs to do more to continue getting a game.

McGovern: came across on a decent contract & to date hasn't lived up to expectation, he has the tools to be handy in our forward setup.

Very stiff to have Rozee in there. He was injured for most of this year and playing injured/hampered for most the season after having an excellent first year.

For Port I would say;

Todd Marshall: Has been in the system a few years now and was given a consistent run of games this year. Time to take that next step now and have a greater impact/goals

Fantasia: We all know his deal with injuries he needs to prove he can overcome and again make an impact

Burton: Needs to overcome his injury issues and prove his worth. With Jones coming in through the draft and the addition of Aliir, if he can’t stay on the park he may loose his spot full stop if he can’t stay fit

Motlop: Has been very inconsistent since coming over too us. Adding Fantasia and having Williams/Bergman waiting on the side will add more pressure for him to improve

Pressure for spots in our 22 will be at its highest for a long time. Few players need to improve to keep holding their spot

Sydney Stack....elite skills.

Josh Dunkley: Don't know how he gets his head back in the game after being denied a once in a lifetime contract. I guess Papley did it with the Swans and was almost an All Australian, but Daniher and Fantasia not so much of a positive story. We might not get much from within the fabled four walls, but you would love to be a fly on the wall.

Tbh I reckon with 2 flags in the bag Lynch has earned it. At the very least we wouldn't have last years as he won us the prelim, and I doubt we win this year either (his absence was pretty obvious against Brisbane).

Agreed that he was crucial to both flags, although mostly 2019. I think in 2020 his biggest factor was due to our team structure and the role he was playing IE. providing a forward target + taking multiple defenders.

Despite this I don't think he had a great year. He was wayward in front of goal and I think the constant scrutiny got into his head - comes with the 'big Vic club' package I suppose.

By every key metric he had one of the poorest years in 2020 > low figures in stats like goals and marks, even when adjusted for reduces quarters.

For a guy who kicks at about 63% accuracy (excluding OOTF) he went at 54% in front of goal in 2020, missing several easy ones.

I'd like to see him get his mojo back and play the way he did in 2019 > aggressive without the silly stuff, confident, arrogant even. And I want to see him bring down more grabs and kick more goals. Should be aiming for a 50+ goal season easily.

Adelaide - Darcy Fogarty
Brisbane - Cam Rayner
Carlton - Jack Silvagni
Collingwood - Ned Guy
Essendon - Aaron Francis
Fremantle - Connor Blakely
Geelong - Luke Dahlhaus
Gold Coast - Brayden Fiorini
GWS - Jeremy Finlayson
Hawthorn - Tom Scully
Melbourne - Jake Lever
North Melbourne - Luke Davies-Uniacke
Port Adelaide - Orazio Fantasia
Richmond - Riley Collier-Dawkins
St Kilda - Jack Billings
Sydney - Callum Mills
West Coast - Jack Petrucelle
Western Bulldogs - Patrick Lipinski

For West Coast, Jarrod Brander and Brayden Ainsworth. They could both see their time at the club come to an end if they don't have good seasons.

For Freo, there are a few - but I have interpreted the question as 'bigger seasons that 2020':

- The returning injured: Pearce, Hamling and Switkowski
- The showed glimpses of high potential, but then got injured: Sturt, Young, Logue and Tucker
- The performed below their potential in 2020: Walters, Lobb and to a small extent Fyfe
- The potential young guns who we hope keep improving: Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Darcy and Cox

Add to those the hope that Ryan, Aish, Acres (Rounds 14-18 version), Conca, Taberner, Hughes and Schultz can maintain their 2020 form - and we should improve on our 2020 performance.

i think people acknowledge that brad hill is playing just as well as he always has. just that his contract doesnt reflect that level of performance.

2020 was down on output, compared with past seasons.

Cruising on retirement nest egg, can’t really blame him. Unfortunately I don’t think the Saints paid him to cruise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back