ALGY VOSILITIS

Senior List
Apr 11, 2005
TOTTY TECH
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BULLDOGS
Can any one think of any Bulldogs who showed great early promise but just faded away.

my examples are CHARLIE PAGNOCOLLO 1970-73 47 GAMES 51 GOALS was voted best 1st year player in the league.
SHANE LOVELESS 1979-81 -28GAMES 72 GOALS could have been a champion fullforward. In his 1st game kicked 5 goals from CHF.

look forward to some names.

Re: Players Who Never Quiet Made The Grade

There would be hundreds of them.Off the top of my head

Tyson Lane-Enormous ability and ended up having a couple of god seasons at the pies but never reached his potential.

Alan Thorpe-Was actually talking to a mate who trained with the doggies in the mid 90s and he reckons Joyce had it in for Thorpe.Always thought Thorpe was a talent.

Daniel Hargreaves-Probably an obvious one.

Jon Ballanyne
James Cook
Scott Allen
Jim Plunkett
Adam Contessa
Mark Alvey (very stiff)

Would naming Jamie Grant be a little harsh? Different types, but he was always going to be compared to his brother and almost no other Bulldog ever could stand up to that sort of comparison.

Dog Town said:
There would be hundreds of them.Off the top of my head

Tyson Lane-Enormous ability and ended up having a couple of god seasons at the pies but never reached his potential.

Alan Thorpe-Was actually talking to a mate who trained with the doggies in the mid 90s and he reckons Joyce had it in for Thorpe.Always thought Thorpe was a talent.

Daniel Hargreaves-Probably an obvious one.

Jon Ballanyne
James Cook
Scott Allen
Jim Plunkett
Adam Contessa
Mark Alvey (very stiff)

Fantastic dog-town thorpe great left foot- yes ballantyne -booming kick-- and hargreaves had a bit of magic about him

Mark West - Could have been something
Pat Wiggins - Always had a soft spot for him
Sedat Sir - Robust defender

Some of the players mentioned (Contessa, Plunkett and Sir) you can forigve for not making it, they tried their guts out but didn't have the talent. People like Cookie and Hargraves however had the ability but seemingly not the desire.

Another one who could have been anything was Adrian Campbell, stack of ability but was ruined by injuries (like Mark West

tassiedog said:
How about Peter (Crakers) Baxter............Not sure how many games but he had guts and a bit of ability. Left the dogs to Coach Avondale heights

He played around the mid 80s, I remember him, he was going out with an old school friend of mine many many years ago. Saw him play a few games for Avondale Heights he was a very good player for them. Think he played around 25 games for the dogs.

tassiedog said:
How about Peter (Crakers) Baxter............Not sure how many games but he had guts and a bit of ability. Left the dogs to Coach Avondale heights

Was from that area oiginally. Had a shocking injury when playing as a junior footballer but made it to the Dogs a few years later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tassiedog said:

I remember all the tatts and the fact he kicked the match winner against Carlton only to have the field umpire pay a free kick.

God I hate Carlton.

Do you think any of our current list will make it into a similar thread in a few years?

I wonder if we'll be saying the same things about skipper, walsh, power... I hope not!

jboyar said:
Alan Jennings- kicked 12 - 15 goals in his first few games and went back to the bush

Kicked 5 in each of his first two games but had a heart problem. Irregular beat IIRC and had to give footy away.

In one way he made it but after a stellar 1992 Danny Delre never went on with it. To see him kick 8 goals in a final and earlier that year to beat players of the calibre of Chris Langford suggested he had real class. Never quite made it to the level he could have. Joycie didn't seem to like him and that seemed to put the whole thing to rest.

heres a post I deid a couple ofyears ago

Bulldogs Coodabeen Champions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The post re short careers got me thinking about players who I thought looked like they were going to be long time , 10 year players,champion players but it did'nt eventuate . Why not ? injuries, lack comiittment , didnt develop , whatever , well here ismy team of Coodabeens .They may have a a good season or two , a few spectacular performances , potential

B: Hardie Wigney Brett Montgomery
HB: Southern Craig Ellis Epplestun
C: Daniels Mark West Michael Martin
HF; Bamblett Daniel Hargreaves Georgiades
F: Grgic James Cook Standfield
Ruck: Justin Charles Tyson Lane
Rover; Brian Wilson
Intercahnge (from) Ballantyne,Ben Sexton,Adrian Campbell,S Powell Loveless Rance Penney
Going back further Fred Cook , Alan Stoneham, Allan Jennings, Robert McGhie, Pagnocollo,:

Does anyone recall a guy called Sam Phillipou a few seasons back... huge wraps, but only played one game I think. The ultimate has already been mentioned though... John Georgiades. None better!

jboyar said:
heres a post I deid a couple ofyears ago

Bulldogs Coodabeen Champions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The post re short careers got me thinking about players who I thought looked like they were going to be long time , 10 year players,champion players but it did'nt eventuate . Why not ? injuries, lack comiittment , didnt develop , whatever , well here ismy team of Coodabeens .They may have a a good season or two , a few spectacular performances , potential

B: Hardie Wigney Brett Montgomery
HB: Southern Craig Ellis Epplestun
C: Daniels Mark West Michael Martin
HF; Bamblett Daniel Hargreaves Georgiades
F: Grgic James Cook Standfield
Ruck: Justin Charles Tyson Lane
Rover; Brian Wilson
Intercahnge (from) Ballantyne,Ben Sexton,Adrian Campbell,S Powell Loveless Rance Penney
Going back further Fred Cook , Alan Stoneham, Allan Jennings, Robert McGhie, Pagnocollo,:
A very interesting collection. Most if not all had sufficient talent but had other things missing in their make up. Examine the above list as much as I can there doesn't seem to be a common factor of any significance.

ALGY VOSILITIS said:
Can any one think of any Bulldogs who showed great early promise but just faded away.

my examples are CHARLIE PAGNOCOLLO 1970-73 47 GAMES 51 GOALS was voted best 1st year player in the league.
SHANE LOVELESS 1979-81 -28GAMES 72 GOALS could have been a champion fullforward. In his 1st game kicked 5 goals from CHF.

look forward to some names.
Algy your name should be included in the list. In fact my father worked with your name sake and if I recall things correctly a dicky knee finished a promising career before it really got started.

Jean Claude Vas Deferens said:
Does anyone recall a guy called Sam Phillipou a few seasons back... huge wraps, but only played one game I think. The ultimate has already been mentioned though... John Georgiades. None better!
Sam was the son of a South Australian legend. Seemed like he had the right pedigree but seemed just short of the necessary talent. Crow eaters I know rave about his dad and hoped the son would make it.

John Gent said:

Thanks every one some great names ,
john jent tell me about REG KENT
his photo is currently in the BUCKINGHAM HOTEL with the rest of the team about circa 1960-1 i think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back