Players Who Never Quite Made The Grade

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Players Who Never Quiet Made The Grade

ALGY VOSILITIS said:
Thanks every one some great names ,
john jent tell me about REG KENT
his photo is currently in the BUCKINGHAM HOTEL with the rest of the team about circa 1960-1 i think.
Hope I'm not butting in but Reg payed 8 games 1960-62 and kicked 4 goals. His career must have just preceded yours Algy.
He came from the Keysborough Burras and is one of two players listed on their site who went on to play VFL/AFL football.

alwaysadog said:
Algy your name should be included in the list. In fact my father worked with your name sake and if I recall things correctly a dicky knee finished a promising career before it really got started.

Yes quiet right (always a dog) old ALGY was a bit sad case who was made to play at fullforward while only being a collingwood 6.00 footer always struggled during a lean era and he was always the first dropped after a loss.

Adrian Campbell would have to go very high on my list. He seemed to have lots of the qualities of a Garry Lyon/Chris Grant type, good hands, good in the air, good on the ground, good with either foot.

I remember being convinced that Scott Taylor was going to be a great forward pocket for us until he had so much back trouble.

Shannon Corcoran like Stuart Wigney had loads of talent but never put it together although clearly their talent was respected as they had shots at 3 & 4 league clubs respectively.

Tyson Lane and Justin Charles also had a lot of talent.

I also remember thinking Matty Hanneberry had a lot of talent - but I was pretty young at that stage

ALGY VOSILITIS said:
Thanks every one some great names ,
john jent tell me about REG KENT
his photo is currently in the BUCKINGHAM HOTEL with the rest of the team about circa 1960-1 i think.

You a drinker at The Buck Algy? It's my local, love the $6 porterhouse on tuesdays.

localyokel said:
You a drinker at The Buck Algy? It's my local, love the $6 porterhouse on tuesdays.

Correct localyokel but more so during the footy season when we have the lunch or dinner specials before each game, its not as good as it used to be with all the Sydney/sth melbourne posters . I think the owner is a son of an old south melbourne player. STILL A NICE DROP OF BEER THERE.

I used to love the way the Mark West played footy. I think he had dodgy shoulders.

I can also recall something about a guy called Neil Bristow going to be our big star the year after Gary Dempsey went to North. I am sure he was on a poster I got sent to me when I was a kid, but I can never remember him playing.

Also in the mid eighties a guy called John Riely from South Australia was our prise recruit but he could never get a clearance, yet he played the first game of the year.

ALGY VOSILITIS said:
Correct localyokel but more so during the footy season when we have the lunch or dinner specials before each game, its not as good as it used to be with all the Sydney/sth melbourne posters . I think the owner is a son of an old south melbourne player. STILL A NICE DROP OF BEER THERE.

I've been wondering about all the Swans stuff in a blue chip Footscray location. 20 years ago and it wouldnt have been allowed no matter who the publican's father played for. Still might make him an offer on some of the bulldog stuff he has on the walls.

Who was his dad anyway?

gohardorgohome said:
I can also recall something about a guy called Neil Bristow going to be our big star the year after Gary Dempsey went to North. I am sure he was on a poster I got sent to me when I was a kid, but I can never remember him playing..

Played in one game where he kicked the winning goal. We were on the bottom of the ladder, Hawthorn were on top and we knocked them over.

alwaysadog said:
Hope I'm not butting in but Reg payed 8 games 1960-62 and kicked 4 goals. His career must have just preceded yours Algy.
He came from the Keysborough Burras and is one of two players listed on their site who went on to play VFL/AFL football.
Good info.

If ever a bloke looked like a footballer it was Reg. Moved like Quinlan but just never made it. I reckon he might have been one of those that kicked a goal with his first kick in League football.

localyokel said:
I've been wondering about all the Swans stuff in a blue chip Footscray location. 20 years ago and it wouldnt have been allowed no matter who the publican's father played for. Still might make him an offer on some of the bulldog stuff he has on the walls.

Who was his dad anyway?

DORGAN is the surname (back pocket type)

Stuart Wigney was one whom I recall big things were expected for.
Ricky Symes another who I recall having good things written about him when drafted.

BTW how long was Adrian Campbell on our list for? I recall injuries hastened his demise. I missed out on a major portion of his time at the Dogs. Did he lead our goalkicking one year with a meagre 27 goals or something? Was he a genuine KPP prospect at the time for us?

I hate to mention it, because it still seems so fresh in my mind, and stirs up the feelings his tragic death.
Ron James. How good could he have been.......???
Sadly his untimely death never allowed him to reach his full potential, and make the grade and only got to play 16 games for us.
Even though I was a kid up in a Queensland boarding school at the time- who hardly ever got to see or hear bulldog games or news, he was at the time a player who became instantly one of my favourites, and I was devastated when I heard the news of his waterskiing accident.

It may be the bias of my memories as a teenager, but I really felt he was going to be a wonderful player for us. And it just seemed his end was in hindsight almost a portent of the gloomy and tumultuous times we faced for the next few years.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot said:
I hate to mention it, because it still seems so fresh in my mind, and stirs up the feelings his tragic death.
Ron James. How good could he have been.......???
Sadly his untimely death never allowed him to reach his full potential, and make the grade and only got to play 16 games for us.
Even though I was a kid up in a Queensland boarding school at the time- who hardly ever got to see or hear bulldog games or news, he was at the time a player who became instantly one of my favourites, and I was devastated when I heard the news of his waterskiing accident.

It may be the bias of my memories as a teenager, but I really felt he was going to be a wonderful player for us. And it just seemed his end was in hindsight almost a portent of the gloomy and tumultuous times we faced for the next few years.

He was gpoing to be a terrific player for us. I once listened to Terry Wheeler talk about him and it was stirring stuff. Wheeler really rated him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OldSchool said:
He was gpoing to be a terrific player for us. I once listened to Terry Wheeler talk about him and it was stirring stuff. Wheeler really rated him.

Yes, from what I remember he had quite a lot of potential and was going to be a very special player for us.

Bulldog1954 said:
Some of the players mentioned (Contessa, Plunkett and Sir) you can forigve for not making it, they tried their guts out but didn't have the talent. People like Cookie and Hargraves however had the ability but seemingly not the desire.

Another one who could have been anything was Adrian Campbell, stack of ability but was ruined by injuries (like Mark West

May not have had the overall ability for AFL level, but anyone who has watched Eltham play in the last few years will know how good a player Adam Contessa is.

joshooaa said:
May not have had the overall ability for AFL level, but anyone who has watched Eltham play in the last few years will know how good a player Adam Contessa is.

Two who I thought were very unlucky not to have made the grade as per the threads title:

Brad Nicholson - I really thought he displayed great endeavour and was often forced to punch well above his weight in the backline. I don't recall why he was let go.

Daryl Griffin was another who I think tried his guts out. I recall him being quite a fearless player,and feel that he was a victim of the poor team performance in 96.

Other players who never made the grade for us- Just about anyone with the last name but in recent times Taylor Andrew, John & Scott.

Scott Allen- a very poor mans's, in fact a destitute mans Garry Hocking:D

Mark Cullen had quite a few opportunities to show something, and didn't.

Also, even though he was a bit of a cult favourite of mine, Rod Macpherson ultimately did not make it. Still remember the bone crunching hit he laid on Keith Grieg at Waverley in 84!!!.

David Round definitely did not inherite his father's football genes.

Christin Macri seemed to play well for in the VFL affiliate, but couldn't make it at AFL level.

And I seem to recall us playing a game in London where ******** Reynolds grandkid was playing with us? Never cracked it for a senior game?

alwaysadog said:
Sam was the son of a South Australian legend. Seemed like he had the right pedigree but seemed just short of the necessary talent. Crow eaters I know rave about his dad and hoped the son would make it.
phillipou lacked pace, griffin was it darryl? ben sexton matty hogg, hargreaves[nothing above the shoulders] gun cricketer by all accounts.rance, i could go on for months .

gohardorgohome said:
I used to love the way the Mark West played footy. I think he had dodgy shoulders.

I can also recall something about a guy called Neil Bristow going to be our big star the year after Gary Dempsey went to North. I am sure he was on a poster I got sent to me when I was a kid, but I can never remember him playing.

Also in the mid eighties a guy called John Riely from South Australia was our prise recruit but he could never get a clearance, yet he played the first game of the year.

Mark West.... had he drilled that goal from 30 out, dead in front in the '97 preliminary final, he probably would've been a Doggies Premiership Player.

Neil Bristow. Great call LocalYokel. He kicked a goal after the siren at the Western Oval against the Hawks & we won by a point. Kelvin Templeton held out Kelvin Moore and shepherded the ball through on the line. The Sun newspaper had a centespread feature on the game that was stuck up on my bedroom wall for a number of years after that! ( Probably the poster that you mentioned Gohard.) Pretty sure he wore the number 18.

John Reilly. Occupation... Nuclear Physicist. I'm fair dinkum. Should've drafted Homer!

Of the rest, I quite liked Darryl Griffen. ( Great surname!) Hard at the ball and he wore the number 29... loved Neil Cordy!!!

Jean Claude Vas Deferens said:
Neil Bristow. Great call LocalYokel. He kicked a goal after the siren at the Western Oval against the Hawks & we won by a point. Kelvin Templeton held out Kelvin Moore and shepherded the ball through on the line. The Sun newspaper had a centespread feature on the game that was stuck up on my bedroom wall for a number of years after that! ( Probably the poster that you mentioned Gohard.) Pretty sure he wore the number 18.

I Thought is was Ross Christenson that was going to be the big thing after that Hawthorn game 5 Goal comes to mind

Two who I thought were very unlucky not to have made the grade as per the threads title:

Brad Nicholson - I really thought he displayed great endeavour and was often forced to punch well above his weight in the backline. I don't recall why he was let go.

Daryl Griffin was another who I think tried his guts out. I recall him being quite a fearless player,and feel that he was a victim of the poor team performance in 96.

Other players who never made the grade for us- Just about anyone with the last name but in recent times Taylor Andrew, John & Scott.

Scott Allen- a very poor mans's, in fact a destitute mans Garry Hocking:D

Mark Cullen had quite a few opportunities to show something, and didn't.

Also, even though he was a bit of a cult favourite of mine, Rod Macpherson ultimately did not make it. Still remember the bone crunching hit he laid on Keith Grieg at Waverley in 84!!!.

David Round definitely did not inherite his father's football genes.

Christin Macri seemed to play well for in the VFL affiliate, but couldn't make it at AFL level.

And I seem to recall us playing a game in London where ******** Reynolds grandkid was playing with us? Never cracked it for a senior game?
Lincoln Reynolds just wasnt up to it.

Griffo is still a pretty decent player running around in the Ballarat Football League.Was the victim of a trade stuff up where we were supposed to Jeff Hilton from the dees and Griffo was going to them but something went wrong with the paper work from memory.Went missing after that.I think there is a story about him rocking up to training for the dees without knowing about the stuff up.Heard it somewhere.

Jean Claude Vas Deferens said:
John Reilly. Occupation... Nuclear Physicist. I'm fair dinkum. Should've drafted Homer!
Are you thinking of John Riley (no "e") from SA ? The bloke who was lured over with a car, played one game, went home and didn't give back the car ?

Did he lead our goalkicking one year with a meagre 27 goals or something? Was he a genuine KPP prospect at the time for us?

He won the goal kicking with the magnificent total of 21 goals. Did his knee and ended up at Melbourne.

H Dolphin said:
Are you thinking of John Riley (no "e") from SA ? The bloke who was lured over with a car, played one game, went home and didn't give back the car ?

Yep, that's him. I think he played in the first game of 1984 at the Western Oval.... Mick Malthouse's first game as coach.

I recon he might have just notched up 50 games or there abouts. I can remeber he was at the bulldogs at about 15 0r 16 i think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back