Players who passed away during their playing days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fred Phillips, one of St Kilda’s best-ever footballers, died in the most tragic circumstances at the age of 27 years.

“…Went to Hawthorn as captain-coach in 1933 but dye from his Hawthorn jumper ran into a cut on his elbow and he died of blood poisoning on 21 April 1933.”

I worked in marine science in the 90s, so familiar with ocean norms. Although I was confused at first as to why the water breaking on the reef, on the horizon was moving as reefs don't move..............the penny dropped.

I yelled tsunami , tidal wave, tsunami, tidal wave......when people looked I made it a little clearer "just f*n run". My wife and I ran up a street from the beach only to think the street would become a natural river.

My wife turned to me and said "I have a stitch". I looked at her thinking what poor timing to joke, only to see puppy dog eyes. A simple "keep running and we argue later" then turned behind a building and started climbing up a hill side.

When we came down,the devastation was unreal.
I reckon you were there for a reason. Call it fate, call it whatever. But Im sure you have thought about all that.

Played 1 game for St Kilda in 1901 , his murder in 1931 is still unsolved.
Love the avatar mate 👍. I am direct family lineage so having grown up with his heroics the VC was long overdue and a fantastic occasion for my family in Canberra. Movie currently in production too.

I think Ron Barassi Snr was still on the Melbourne list when he joined up then was killed in Tobruk?

Must be any number of footy players whose playing career was cut short in that manner though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I worked in marine science in the 90s, so familiar with ocean norms. Although I was confused at first as to why the water breaking on the reef, on the horizon was moving as reefs don't move..............the penny dropped.

I yelled tsunami , tidal wave, tsunami, tidal wave......when people looked I made it a little clearer "just f*n run". My wife and I ran up a street from the beach only to think the street would become a natural river.

My wife turned to me and said "I have a stitch". I looked at her thinking what poor timing to joke, only to see puppy dog eyes. A simple "keep running and we argue later" then turned behind a building and started climbing up a hill side.

When we came down,the devastation was unreal.
Have you been back to Krabi since?

Well apart from the drink driving and drugs in his system, the fight in Tassie where he Hawkins & Frawley got off scot free, the other assaults (eg the barman at the Boundary Hotel in 88) being employed as a standover man to recover gambling debts, the bus "incident" etc. etc.

If he hadn't of been a footballer her would have done serious time

You knew Pants?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Crimmins

Crimmins%20old%20photo%20620.jpg

If we extend this to the the womens' football leagues Maggie Varcoe died in 2018 following an onfield head collision

...The 27-year-old, who is the sister of Collingwood midfielder Travis Varcoe, died on Thursday after an accidental clash with one of her teammates on Sunday.

She was playing in a grand final for Angle Vale Football Club in the SA Women's Football League when the clash occurred.

After leaving the field, Varcoe was rushed to the Royal Adelaide Hospital...

There was a young guy playing for West Perth 3rds or 4ths somewhere in the mid 70s. Died during a game from some sort of previously undetected heart defect.

His father died a few years later of a heart issue. He had played in the SANFL, i think in reserves.

I worked with the mother, but the name now escapes me.

There was a young guy playing for West Perth 3rds or 4ths somewhere in the mid 70s. Died during a game from some sort of previously undetected heart defect.

His father died a few years later of a heart issue. He had played in the SANFL, i think in reserves.

I worked with the mother, but the name now escapes me.

I remember this, playing at colts level.

The name was something like Vanapopoulos. Anyway, I know the name started with a V.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back