Research Players who served in War

Remove this Banner Ad

17. 1918 Annual Report lists J White as enlisted. John White played Richmond in 1910, 2 games. Is this him. Where is his service record ?
Yes

Using the dates given in AF the death in 1950 of a John James White corresponds to an 1887 birth in Adelaide (Norwood) with parents being Henry and Norah nee Murphy

Using this AIF report we can say it is indeed John James White and it corresponds to the death obit

https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=321245

Age at embarkation 28Next of kin Mother, Mrs Norah White, c/o Mrs E Bly, Cummins Street, Broken Hill, New South Wales

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article187347491
WHITE. — On January 28, John
James, loved second son of the
late Henry and Honorah White, of
Broken Hill,

Yes

Using the dates given in AF the death in 1950 of a John James White corresponds to an 1887 birth in Adelaide (Norwood) with parents being Henry and Norah nee Murphy

Using this AIF report we can say it is indeed John James White and it corresponds to the death obit

https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=321245

Age at embarkation 28Next of kin Mother, Mrs Norah White, c/o Mrs E Bly, Cummins Street, Broken Hill, New South Wales

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article187347491
WHITE. — On January 28, John
James, loved second son of the
late Henry and Honorah White, of
Broken Hill,
Good stuff! I've just been working on that one, having seen that The Encyclopedia calls the player John J. White, and seeing that Vic BDM has this, which matches nicely:
1555936510398.png

FYI, the AFL has sent out a 17 page PDF of all VFL, SANFL, WAFL, and TSL players killed on active duty.
I've attached it here.

I notice that Walter Johnston (recent RFC discovered player isnt on the list). And for some reason, yet again, for the 4th straight year, Artie C Harrison is only identified as a Fitzroy player and not as well as a RFC player.

Attachments

• Players_Killed_on_Active_Service.pdf
    366.4 KB · Views: 226
FYI, the AFL has sent out a 17 page PDF of all VFL, SANFL, WAFL, and TSL players killed on active duty.
I've attached it here.

I notice that Walter Johnston (recent RFC discovered player isnt on the list). And for some reason, yet again, for the 4th straight year, Artie C Harrison is only identified as a Fitzroy player and not as well as a RFC player.

Thanks Rhett. Good to see this list being circulated and that it includes players from competitions other than the VFL.

The Tasmanian names are sparse, but as I'm aware locally here the Launceston FC staff are becoming more and more active in compiling full history (incl war service) so that is probably why they are the only club mentioned from the set of TFL, NTFA & NWFU sides.
Researchers such as myself will have to do better, and advise AFL House more fully of the names of Tasmanian players killed on active duty.
Ken Hutton for example - NTFA p'ship 1940, Stawell Gift winner 1941, KIA 1944
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/91402876

A pity the Johnston case slipped by un-noticed, but even more so that Harrison not i.d. properly for so many years.

I've attached it here.

They also have the Carlton player Alby Paterson as Alby Patterson. This story came out more than three years ago, and it would be very surprising if the AFL folks weren't made aware of it.

Fen McDonald played for Carlton (which isn't mentioned) as well as Melbourne, and they have the years mixed up as well:
1555994259261.png

From Wikipedia>:
1555994008814.png

Norm Le Brun played senior football for four clubs, but only one is mentioned!

Last edited:
I've attached it here.

This list also doesn't include the two "new" St Kilda players found early last year (which is strange as both Col H and Barbara Cullen now have these in their lists)
1. Gower Ross (WWI)
2. Tasman Roberts (WWII)

This list also doesn't include the two "new" St Kilda players found early last year (which is strange as both Col H and Barbara Cullen now have these in their lists)
1. Gower Ross (WWI)
2. Tasman Roberts (WWII)

Yeah its rather confusing who was missed from this. Either AFL hasnt updated their War files, or an early list was sent to AFL Record (now run by Crocmedia).
I emailed Col to tell him about Walter Johnston and Artie Harrison yesterday.

Another "new" WWI service record - Bill Berryman (Devonport, South Melb) enlisted at age 18 in mid 1918.
see service record at https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/88063

He made it to London in October 1918 and then got measles, being discharged from hospital on 5 Nov, less than a week before the war ended.

He served in France in 1919, was court-martialled in the field for crimes against persons of an occupied nation (found not guilty on major charges) and eventually returned to Australia towards the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was looking for info on Arthur Gay
guess he didn't make it back

Last edited:

I was looking for info on Arthur Gay
guess he didn't make it back

No, he didn't. Died as POW in Borneo apparently

Len Toyne played 47 VFL games with Geelong and Fitzroy before WW2 coached Sandringham VFA club 1946 - 1949 including the Zebras first flag in 1946 and runners up in 1947and half way through the 1949 season resigned as Sandringham coach and played 12 games for Melbbourne

Leonard Harris "Barrow Boy" Toyne (12 July 1922 – 17 March 1998) was an Australian rules footballer who played for Geelong, Fitzroy and Melbourne in the Victorian Football League (VFL) during the 1940s.
Toyne, from Terang, made his way into the Geelong seniors for the first time in 1940 after serving his apprenticeship in the reserves. He spent the 1942 season at Fitzroy, as Geelong were forced into recess as a result of the war, but was out of action for the next two years due to his service with the Australian Imperial Force (AIF). Returning to Geelong in 1945, Toyne finished third in the club's 'best and fairest'.
After getting married, Toyne moved to Sandringham in 1946 to live and work. Geelong granted him a clearance which allowed him to be appointed captain-coach of the Sandringham Football Club. The club had finished 11th the previous VFA season and had never reached the finals but Toyne steered them to a seven-point Grand Final win over Camberwell. Sandringham were runners-up in 1947 but struggled the following season, with Toyne getting

Last edited:
Len Toyne played 47 VFL games with Geelong and Fitzroy before WW2 coached Sandringham VFA club 1946 - 1949 including the Zebras first flag in 1946 and runners up in 1947and half way through the 1949 season resigned as Sandringham coach and played 12 games for Melbbourne

Leonard Harris "Barrow Boy" Toyne (12 July 1922 – 17 March 1998) was an Australian rules footballer who played for Geelong, Fitzroy and Melbourne in the Victorian Football League (VFL) during the 1940s.
Toyne, from Terang, made his way into the Geelong seniors for the first time in 1940 after serving his apprenticeship in the reserves. He spent the 1942 season at Fitzroy, as Geelong were forced into recess as a result of the war, but was out of action for the next two years due to his service with the Australian Imperial Force (AIF). Returning to Geelong in 1945, Toyne finished third in the club's 'best and fairest'.
After getting married, Toyne moved to Sandringham in 1946 to live and work. Geelong granted him a clearance which allowed him to be appointed captain-coach of the Sandringham Football Club. The club had finished 11th the previous VFA season and had never reached the finals but Toyne steered them to a seven-point Grand Final win over Camberwell. Sandringham were runners-up in 1947 but struggled the following season, with Toyne getting

After that, Toyne played with Sturt and South Adelaide (SANFL) and then Launceston (NTFA).
I remember him being a panel member on our local TNT-9 sports show "Sports Club."

len toyne coached Sturt in 50/51
played 17 games
not much success - 4 wins in 2 seasons
was replaced with len fitzgerald

Image.jpg
Image is from Up where Cazaly
Image (2).jpg
Image is from the Pash SANFL book

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back