Players who should have been persevered with

Remove this Banner Ad

Best way to analyze any of the players mentioned here

Which one of them was re selected and or kicked on elsewhere?

Let's stop looking in the rear vision mirror

That's the nature of the AFL though.. if Jones hadn't been shifted to defence, he'd be a 3 time Premiership player at Deer Park now. No other Club would have touched him.

That's the nature of the AFL though.. if Jones hadn't been shifted to defence, he'd be a 3 time Premiership player at Deer Park now. No other Club would have touched him.

True, but most of those other guys had similar opportunities

Blaine was played as a wingman, forward, but still shat his daks every time

Sorry Arr0w I just cannot agree on Boekhorst.

Pickett is the one I had hopes for.

You think I had high hopes on Boekhorst?

He was a 4th rounder at best, yet we overreached.Had the skillset, yet was scared of his own shadow

Pickett had it all, apart from commitment and application

my list is in terms of lost talent but agree robbo was most worthwhile to keep because he had the least of their off field issues.

You know what was worse than losing Robbo? Losing him for nothing in return. Surely we could have got a 3rd for him?

How stupid were we back then..

Wish we kept Fev, nearly cried when he left, but also wish we had kept Eddie, couldn’t stand watching him play for the Crows. Hopefully he goes on for a few more seasons yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its fair to say Liam Jones is an extremely important part of our defensive structure, who's career was saved by not only a positional change, but a little bit of TLC and perseverance from the Club.

Yesterday l, read an old online article about Liam Jones at around the time there was talk about whacking him defence in the 2nds and it got me thinking just how many players could have 'made it' if the Club had stuck with them a bit longer.

My three are;
Blaine Boekhorst - soft as melted butter, but not every player is going to be a Jimmy Buckley clone. Could run and carry, had a great sidestep and kicked goals. I'm pretty sure he had about 25 and 2 goals in his last game. He is exactly the type of receive and carry type we need atm and thought another year was appropriate.

Andrejs Everitt
Could kick goals and was a taller flanker type who could pinch hit in a few positions. Played a few really good games for us when we were really sh*t. I reckon he was a bit stiff to be let go.

Jed Lamb
Tough, lowskilled lockdown player who did his job most weeks. Played with his heart on his sleeve and in my view, is exactly what we need in our backline at the moment on opposition smalls who tend to cut loose against us more times than not. Had a bit of mongrel about him that would have made a couple of our young ones walk a tad taller.

I'm sure there are others..

Fair point on all 3, I was really surprised with Boek, there was a bit to work with and in his last year with us, he actually seemed to have learned how to find the ball.

Everitt was never going to be a long term player but he was serviceable, wasn’t he our leading goal kicker one year?

Lamb was another limited player, but he could play a role, was aggressive, could tackle and could kick a goal.

Fair point on all 3, I was really surprised with Boek, there was a bit to work with and in his last year with us, he actually seemed to have learned how to find the ball.

Everitt was never going to be a long term player but he was serviceable, wasn’t he our leading goal kicker one year?

Lamb was another limited player, but he could play a role, was aggressive, could tackle and could kick a goal.

Everitt was if I remember correctly, one of the very few players who played their best footy under Malthouse.

True, but most of those other guys had similar opportunities

Blaine was played as a wingman, forward, but still shat his daks every time

Could it have been ironed out, did we focus too much on what he couldn’t, rather than what he could?
Cmon Arrow, we are playing hypotheticals, surely you saw something in a player and thought, what could have been?

Could it have been ironed out, did we focus too much on what he couldn’t, rather than what he could?
Cmon Arrow, we are playing hypotheticals, surely you saw something in a player and thought, what could have been?

Was lightening quick, showed that he could kick a decent goal, but as soon as I noticed him avoided any form of physicality, was never going to kick on

Polar opposite, Robbo has less than half his talent yet has carved out a career of sorts

All about intent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back