Players who should have been persevered with

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go. Traded Massie for Eccles.
Weird kind of nothing trade.
Neither player ever reached any great heights.
I think Massie should have but development at club left a lot to be desired in this era.

Also I see why the Gallagher name was on my mind as we traded Nelson to Adelaide after he played at Carlton.
Got some fringe player back Gallagher. Another nil all trade.

2001 Trade for Andrew Eccles and Kris Massie
AdelaideMassie (88 games)134 XG
CarltonEccles (13 games)28 XG
2001 Trade for David Gallagher and Ben Nelson
AdelaideNelson (12 games)72 XG
CarltonGallagher (7 games)60 XG

Last edited:

We got doc for that hampdon pick?
Nope. Effectively we got Everitt indirectly.
We got a pick for Hampson in 30 range and remember we also traded a pick to Swans around that mark in same off season that got us Andre Everitt.

Will check it up on draft guru website in a tick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arr0w

Have thought about this a little bit more.

The regrets for me are players that went to another club and kicked on. If another club didn’t pick up the player or the player didn’t kick on, then we shouldn’t really have any regrets.

So in SOS’ time: Menzel, Yarran, Henderson, Bell, Tuohy and Gibbs. No regrets for these players.
Others sort of recently ... Russell, Holman, Buckley, Lucas, Gowers, Thornton Setanta, Hampson. No regrets for these players either (small bit for Hampson but not sure if that is Megan or a better #2 ruckman).

Grigg, Betts (while at Adelaide), Laidler, Waite, Kennedy, Jacobs and Massie are players that I wish we had persevered with.

Just wish (and with the benefit of hindsight too I guess) we had traded Fevola to WCE as part of the Judd trade instead of Kennedy. There, Kennedy’s the one we should have really persevered with.

Arr0w

The regrets for me are players that went to another club and kicked on. If another club didn’t pick up the player or the player didn’t kick on, then we shouldn’t really have any regrets.

So in SOS’ time: Menzel, Yarran, Henderson, Bell, Tuohy and Gibbs. No regrets for these players.
Others sort of recently ... Russell, Holman, Buckley, Lucas, Gowers, Thornton Setanta, Hampson. No regrets for these players either (small bit for Hampson but not sure if that is Megan or a better #2 ruckman).

Grigg, Betts (while at Adelaide), Laidler, Waite, Kennedy, Jacobs and Massie are players that I wish we had persevered with.

Just wish (and with the benefit of hindsight too I guess) we had traded Fevola to WCE as part of the Judd trade instead of Kennedy. There, Kennedy’s the one we should have really persevered with.
thats it...as no one in their right mind would have traded fev at that time. it got to point where club had no choice but to get rid of him.

Spot on!!!
It is always what I said we should do. ******* Greg Swann got involved and virtually told Kennedy he had to go after two years of development into him.
Stupid!!!

Spot on!!!
It is always what I said we should do. ******* Greg Swann got involved and virtually told Kennedy he had to go after two years of development into him.
Stupid!!!
wouldnt have made sense at the time...we brought in judd because we had most other areas covered and fev was a star forward. we were expecting to win a flag soon after.

Spot on!!!
Stupid!!!
This was the biggest head scratcher for me. Pratt took the reins and cleaned out a lot of the stagnancy in the club in an attempt to fix what was wrong. And left the recruiting/list management untouched. Odd.

Arr0w

Grigg - For some strange reason Ratts never rated him, a shame really as he always put his head over the ball

Betts - You can blame Mick for that one

Jacobs - Our inept list managers thought a lazy Warnock was a better prospect. Only ruckman to get shorter when he jumped

Massie - We had a few that could play his role, Manton, Prendergast, Beaumont

Waite - Probably my favourite player at the time, love a raw, unmanufactured footballer, but was a tease who was conditional and undisciplined

Kennedy - Was livid, so much so, I realised the club was still impatient. So many other options if we wanted to bring in Judd

At least, from the end of 2015, none of our trades have hurt us, at this point

Grigg - For some strange reason Ratts never rated him, a shame really as he always put his head over the ball

Betts - You can blame Mick for that one

Jacobs - Our inept list managers thought a lazy Warnock was a better prospect. Only ruckman to get shorter when he jumped

Massie - We had a few that could play his role, Manton, Prendergast, Beaumont

Waite - Probably my favourite player at the time, love a raw, unmanufactured footballer, but was a tease who was conditional and undisciplined

Kennedy - Was livid, so much so, I realised the club was still impatient. So many other options if we wanted to bring in Judd

At least, from the end of 2015, none of our trades have hurt us, at this point

I seem to remember Grigg being offered a contract, verbally agreeing then accepted a much better contract from Richmond.
Didn't he get his manager to tell the Club he was out whilst he was O/S.

Many here bag him out, and i think thats more to do with going to the Tigers, but he could definitely play.

I seem to remember Grigg being offered a contract, verbally agreeing then accepted a much better contract from Richmond.
Didn't he get his manager to tell the Club he was out whilst he was O/S.

Many here bag him out, and i think thats more to do with going to the Tigers, but he could definitely play.
In his first game for the Tigers, Grigg hit more Carlton players on the chest with his kicks than he did during any game while playing for the Blues.

To his credit, he did clean up his disposal considerably and was quite tidy in the second half of his career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back