Players who should have been persevered with

Remove this Banner Ad

Its fair to say Liam Jones is an extremely important part of our defensive structure, who's career was saved by not only a positional change, but a little bit of TLC and perseverance from the Club.

Yesterday l, read an old online article about Liam Jones at around the time there was talk about whacking him defence in the 2nds and it got me thinking just how many players could have 'made it' if the Club had stuck with them a bit longer.

My three are;
Blaine Boekhorst - soft as melted butter, but not every player is going to be a Jimmy Buckley clone. Could run and carry, had a great sidestep and kicked goals. I'm pretty sure he had about 25 and 2 goals in his last game. He is exactly the type of receive and carry type we need atm and thought another year was appropriate.

Andrejs Everitt
Could kick goals and was a taller flanker type who could pinch hit in a few positions. Played a few really good games for us when we were really s**t. I reckon he was a bit stiff to be let go.

Jed Lamb
Tough, lowskilled lockdown player who did his job most weeks. Played with his heart on his sleeve and in my view, is exactly what we need in our backline at the moment on opposition smalls who tend to cut loose against us more times than not. Had a bit of mongrel about him that would have made a couple of our young ones walk a tad taller.

I'm sure there are others..

Last edited:

It's hard to go back, as one has to then recall that types that may have supplanted the players that were ousted although -

Boekhorst certainly had traits that were not in most players' armoury. He just wasn't dedicated enough.

Bootsma - Put the mindset of a Cripps in that body and who knows....instead....Snapchat\dicpics

Kerr - Of the Rohan variety. Really had some worthwhile traits and not just playing forward. Has done well in W.A. since going back.

think you're overlooking the need AT THE TIME to clear these blokes out.............also*cough*andrewmcinnes*cough*............

He was showing heaps until he did his knee sadly.

Brad Walsh. Bull of an inside mid. Captained WA at the u18 carnival and won our vfl best and fairest in his first year.

Delisted in less than 12 months.

No idea why he was cut, maybe something off field related?

He was terrible. Couldn't hit a target by hand nor foot.
Great character. Sub VFL player.

Cachia far superior.

He was terrible. Couldn't hit a target by hand nor foot.
Great character. Sub VFL player.

Cachia far superior.

Caxhia was an odd one. Not many blokes get two chances and I thought he could play a bit. Obviously the Club saw something to get him in twice.

Sub VFL but won our B&F in his first year. Strange.
Cachia was a poor man's SPP.

I saw a lot of Walsh. Not good. Not surprised to see him gone.
Cachia was given two bites at the cherry. It made sense. I saw a lot of him too.

If one wanted to gauge effort, Walsh would have been high on the list.
If one wanted to rate quality of possession.....very low....really low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sub VFL but won our B&F in his first year. Strange.
Cachia was a poor man's SPP.

Low ceiling. Good VFL player. Didn't have the goods to go much further. I don't think any club blinked twice.

Aaron Joseph - Beat young Gazza once.

Fev - because he was good.

Kerridge - because I liked him.

Daisy - because he was good.

Dyl Bucks - cause he was funny

Gorringe - see Dyl Bucks

Setanta - cause he kicked Cloke in the clacker

Cloke - cause Setanta would have no one to kick.

Thornton - cause I liked him

Mitch Robbo - cause we could use his mongrel about now.

That'll do for now.

Best way to analyze any of the players mentioned here

Which one of them was re selected and or kicked on elsewhere?

Let's stop looking in the rear vision mirror
I thought Holman was unlucky to be delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back