Players who should have been persevered with

Remove this Banner Ad

Tuohy was a rotten call and still is to this day - even SOS isn't perfect. Would make the call harder of Marchbank could ever actually get on the field and play. Geelong knew exactly what they were doing when they scooped him up - pretty much the general for them down back and no one roosts the ball bullet-like for 60 meters like Tuohy does. Was instrumental in setting up two fast rebound goals their almost come from the dead against us in 4th quarter.

Nuh...

Holman allegedly had issues fitting in from where the club wanted to go, after cleaning out players because of 'culture' issues. His type is also relatively easy to find and I'm not sure he would be getting many games now anyway. Wish him all the best but it clearly wasn't his form or development that saw him punted rather quickly into his career after playing a couple of games and looking good IMO.

Robbo was a bit of a dickhead and a poor influence on our young playing group. He was complicit in lying to the club to try and cover up poor behavior after previous indiscretions and his deficiencies as a player made him expendable under the culture change. He has no doubt improved in Brisbane but we made the right call. Love Robbo personally!

Tuohy was one of the few players we had with trade value, in a position we actually had depth at despite our poor list demographics. Absolutely the right call and what we did with the Geelong pick received has helped us set our list up moving forward. We don't miss him and think it was a win-win for both clubs.
that's a quality helpful post right there - should come with an allen key......

Grigg - For some strange reason Ratts never rated him, a shame really as he always put his head over the ball

Betts - You can blame Mick for that one

Jacobs - Our inept list managers thought a lazy Warnock was a better prospect. Only ruckman to get shorter when he jumped

Massie - We had a few that could play his role, Manton, Prendergast, Beaumont

Waite - Probably my favourite player at the time, love a raw, unmanufactured footballer, but was a tease who was conditional and undisciplined

Kennedy - Was livid, so much so, I realised the club was still impatient. So many other options if we wanted to bring in Judd

At least, from the end of 2015, none of our trades have hurt us, at this point
tuohy

that's a quality helpful post right there - should come with an allen key......

Thought you’d still be pushing for Jaksch.

Had the makings of a nice sub-plot going there with the Cramer St, match day, social interacting, insider news.

I thought Tom Bell could of been special; not sure what happened to him.
If not for his sick father, he might still be playing with us. Had tricks - he certainly knew where the goals were. I'd love to see him alongside Cripps and have opposition players constantly wondering where he was.

Injuries and God knows what family pressures back up north ended him. A real shame.

Google tells me he's back in Melbourne. Playing NFNL amateurs when he's allowed to.

Last edited:
Long time lurker. 1st time poster. I always thought we could have stuck with Trent hotton. We crucified him I'm the ruck. Could really read the play. If we put him at CHB he would have killed em. GO BAGGERS
Fond memory of Hotton (who his former amateur coach really rated) was him being button-holed post-game by two warm and glowing schoolgirls in the Princes Park carpark and Glen Manton hanging out the change-room window going "Treeeent" in his best come-hither voice, over and over.

I reckon he got the most out of his talent. Gutsy player who wasnt gifted with elite speed, but unfortunately became slower after doing his knee laying a bump on Mick Martyn.
Was there when he ran into MM. Was like a tennis ball coming off a brick wall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If not for his sick father, he might still be playing with us. Had tricks - he certainly knew where the goals were. I'd love to see him alongside Cripps and have opposition players constantly wondering where he was.

Injuries and God knows what family pressures back up north ended him. A real shame.

Google tells me he's back in Melbourne. Playing NFNL amateurs when he's allowed to.
His body worked a fair bit quicker than his brain on the field unfortunately. Didn't think things through which resulted in some terrible decision making (e.g. blasting forward to an empty forward line). Hoped that in time there might be improvement but it's clear that it didn't. Coupling up the pick that we received for him with our second to get Charlie (injuries permitting) was a remarkable piece of work.

One player that I thought was hard done by was Ricky Mott. Only played 2 games for Carlton and was, I think, hard done by. Never thought he was going to be a world beater but I think our coach at the time - Denis Pagan - made it clear he didn't want him. His first game for Carlton was against St Kilda in Round 10, 2004 (I looked it up as I couldn't remember). I do clearly remember, though, that he seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time on the bench.

It seemed pretty obvious that Pagan was against him being on the ground. I was sitting high in the stand behind him the bench and, if I recall correctly, he spent much of the second half there and when he came off he never returned that day (looking up the game information I note that that game was also the one where Brendan Fevola spent much of the first quarter at full back being given a lesson in forward play by Fraser Gehrig).

I looked it up and he played again the next week against the Crows in Adelaide and only played 21% of game time. He was no world beater but surely he deserved more game time when the alternative rucks were De Luca, Norman, Prendergast, Whitnall and, I kid you not, Kade Simpson in his fourth game (and first game in which he got a kick - Kade's stats were 6 kicks, 3 marks, 3 handballs. Kicked 1.1 and yes that hit out).

Thought you’d still be pushing for Jaksch.

Had the makings of a nice sub-plot going there with the Cramer St, match day, social interacting, insider news.
I was gently given a nudge by a smarter person than me that my reports on jaksch and co were sexist and borderline stalky......he was right........I desisted.

Still does his running around princess park. Has the fastest time on the Strava app.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back