Players who should have traded clubs/went to the wrong one

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's a lot said when a player retires and even more said when they change clubs - was it worth it? What club will they be remembered as playing for? But what about these guys who held on for loyalty's sake and probably missed out on a premiership or longer career?

You can mention Pav and Riewoldt but ultimately both leave the game in seriously high esteem - they're the two last hardcore clubmen; hard workers, consummate professionals, the guts of the team, who played for maligned clubs and in many woeful sides, but who battled and go out with more gongs than 95% of players.

This is more about your missed chances.

For example Jason Johannisen staying at the Bullies... this is a player who front runs and doesn't even man up despite being a defender for a lot of his career, who doesn't get the hard ball, and who has woeful skills and average general footy smarts. Apparently the Suns and Dockers were offering $700,000 plus a season... it got me thinking...

For example, as much as I hate the prick, would Brendan Goddard have gotten his flag if he joined Fremantle instead of Essendon? Was walking into that shitstorm and mediocrity a decision he wouldn't make in hindsight?

What about Mitch Clarke? Chose to go to the Dees last minute and his career stalled.

Ballantyne too - shitful and will barely get a contract on top of this. Should have taken the Eagles offer.

Daniel Kerr should have changed clubs. Michael Gardiner escaped all that and carved out a decent end to what looked a dead career by moving to Melbourne and St Kilda. He was cooked and a move interstate in 2008-odd could have given him a new lease on life and football.

I absolutely love him and he's the future captain of the club, but Lachie Neale probably could have gotten the same money if he went back to South Australia and in the process helped push to make the Crows just that bit better. Would be revered as much as he should over there as he'd be getting a second tag and add some dynamics and something different to their midfield. They'd surely be outright flag favourites with him there.

Matthew Richardson spoke about being offered a substantial contract to leave Richmond during the mid 2000s, I think he said the offer was from Collingwood (I forget exactly who someone can correct me if I'm wrong) and he was giving it some thought as he wanted to taste the ultimate success and Richmond were pretty woeful during most of his career, in the end he said when it came down to it he could never picture himself playing in another clubs jumper and wanted to be a one club player, he certainly missed out on any type of success but has cemented himself as one of Richmonds all time greats.

Shane Crawford wrote about nearly leaving Hawthorn for Sydney or Collingwood not long after he won the Brownlow and would've undoubtably boosted both sides and tasted Premiership success, however he was talked into staying and had a fairytale ending to his career.
I think Akermanis never should have gone to the Bulldogs, obvious clash with the leadership group and culture, would've got in well with a competitive Collingwood at the time. Imagine Didak on one flank with Aker on the other, FIGJAM.

Matthew Richardson spoke about being offered a substantial contract to leave Richmond during the mid 2000s, I think he said the offer was from Collingwood (I forget exactly who someone can correct me if I'm wrong) and he was giving it some thought as he wanted to taste the ultimate success and Richmond were pretty woeful during most of his career, in the end he said when it came down to it he could never picture himself playing in another clubs jumper and wanted to be a one club player, he certainly missed out on any type of success but has cemented himself as one of Richmonds all time greats.

Yes ,Collingwood played their grand final and tried to lure the Tiger,in Martin Flannigan's book.

Tried to get Bartlett too if I recall?

GAJ owns this.
The most damaging player in the league but not a good fit for a start up club. I just dont beleive he's a natural leader and a marquee player at a new club needs to be.
Wasn't lost to the game and definitely had an impact at GC, but would have been more influential and probably happier at the Cats.
Cant blame him for taking the money, but I wonder if an older wiser player would have stayed.

Richo should definitely have gone, perhaps to West Coast or Collingwood.

Nick Stevens should never have left Port (terrible human so fair enough though).

Taking off the red, white and blue glasses Grant and Darcy both could have left in the early 2000s to play in flags. Both were done by the time we were challenging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting ones to me are where a bit player rejected an offer and then soon after got delisted.

I recall Jetta was offered three years with a WA club but choose to stay with the dons. 1-2 years later he was delisted. Maybe he would have anyway, but maybe he might have gone down the Josh Hill route and still be on a list.

Brett Deledio - one year (2017) left on his Richmond contract, which he has now spent mostly injured at GWS. Lucky for him he moved to the Giants on a three year $1.5 million deal. Otherwise he'd be struggling to convince the powers to be at Richmond (or any other club) to offer him anything more than a one year deal on average money.

Interesting ones to me are where a bit player rejected an offer and then soon after got delisted.

I recall Jetta was offered three years with a WA club but choose to stay with the dons. 1-2 years later he was delisted. Maybe he would have anyway, but maybe he might have gone down the Josh Hill route and still be on a list.
Jetta is doing well these days. Has been offered a lot of money to coach some regional WA clubs and is still enjoying playing for Peel.

I swear there's a heap of these examples but I can't recall them.

GAJ owns this.
The most damaging player in the league but not a good fit for a start up club. I just dont beleive he's a natural leader and a marquee player at a new club needs to be.
Wasn't lost to the game and definitely had an impact at GC, but would have been more influential and probably happier at the Cats.
Cant blame him for taking the money, but I wonder if an older wiser player would have stayed.
GAJ, He ruined his career IMO.
Remember, he was second choice. At that point the highest ever contract in AFL history was offered to someone else to go home and captain GC, but was knocked back to stay loyal. It then became making Gaz Jnr an offer he pretty much couldnt refuse. Offer grew so big it became silly money that had to be taken.

No way i reckon Gaz Jnr ruined his career. He had no need to hurry a decision, made the correct one for his family, and played some magic footy at GC. Its a professional sport and u spend a long time retired.

Last edited:
Remember, he was second choice. At that point the highest ever contract in AFL history was offered to someone else to go home and captain GC, but was knocked back to stay loyal. It then became making Gaz Jnr an offer he pretty much couldnt refuse. Offer grew so big it became silly money that had to be taken.

No way i reckon Gaz Jnr ruined his career. He had no need to hurry a decision, made the correct one for his family, and played some magic footy at GC. Its a professional sport and u spend a long time retired.
And yet he is looking to return and end his career. I didn't read the OP as the clubs interests but the players. Fair enough opinion though.

GAJ owns this.
I would argue he greatly enhanced his reputation as a player by moving to Gold Coast

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

K
I would argue he greatly enhanced his reputation as a player by moving to Gold Coast

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Fair enough
Certainly got more attention in the press. Not sure that was ever his goal though, has never really come across as the showman type to me.

Surprised buddy hasn't been mentioned
Left on the cusp of three flags.

Disagree on goddard. Has a year or two left. Dons are entering a good window now. He still has a chance at a flag

Buddy won the first of the three flags at least, so he has two. But yes, he could have had four.

Although who's to say he can't win one or two at Sydney before his career's out when it looks like the hawks are rebuilding now. Could even up the ledger. Plus I'm sure getting out of the Victorian footy spotlight has been a good thing for him personally, particularly given his admission about the mental health issues.

There might be a few of these that begin later this year, depending on where Martin/Kelly/Lever/others end up. Fyfe could easily regret staying at Freo if the rebuild there goes wrong.

Surprised buddy hasn't been mentioned
Left on the cusp of three flags.

Disagree on goddard. Has a year or two left. Dons are entering a good window now. He still has a chance at a flag
It may not have worked out perfectly for BJ but the Saints probably aren't going to be winning flags until at least 2-3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back