List Mgmt. Players who should not be at Port in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

You are right. But there's still many many people on this board who haven't accepted trading Wingard and Polec. Both of those I'd consider gutsy calls by the club, Wingards in particular. So it's not like we are immune from making the tough calls.

Whatever the weaknesses, real or imagined, of those two, they have weapons the side lacks.

And we’re currently carrying at least two inferior players, who are older and just as expensive in terms of cap hit.

So it’s like, what was the point? We’ve sent a message that we’re prepared to cut our noses to spite our face while hypocritically accepting rubbish from other players.

Whilst i realise its not player for player. Without trading Polec and wingard we don’t have duursma and rozzee and burton. I’m happier with those 3

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sure, but the underlying sentiment that we’ve removed a couple of tumours and simultaneously set a new gold standard as a result is so fraudulently bogus it’s sickening.

Can you elaborate more on this ? What sort of off field problems?

Just have heard a number of times that he’s a handful off field. Likes to party etc. I’m sure u can join the dots, but worse still is bringing other young players with him

You only need to look at clubs like Carlton, St Kilda and NM who have started performing much better once they sacked the coach. And none of their improvements came from different personnel.
A new coach at Port would take the players out of their comfort zones and pull their fingers out. After all, that's how even Hinkley himself built his early reputation in 2013 before finding out he hasn't a clue about coaching

Whilst i realise its not player for player. Without trading Polec and wingard we don’t have duursma and rozzee and burton. I’m happier with those 3

If you're gonna include Rozee as an in you have to include Ben King or Bailey Smith as an out.

Wingard is exactly the player our midfield needs right now. I like Burton and Duursma as much as the next guy but I'm still in absolute disbelief that we traded him. They're not on Wingard's level and they never will be.

We all know that the coach needs to be gone, but there is also so much dead wood on our current list. This year has been a wasted season and unless substantial change occurs at all levels our 150th will suck balls.

It is definitely time for the following to leave, as they do not add any value to the playing group:

Ryder
S Gray
Westhoff
Motlop
Any player and coach with three or more seasons in the list must be considered suspect. I would keep all that have arrived in 2018 and 2019 to be evaluated by the new coaches.

Hinkley, Voss, and Basset should all go. Lokan would survive the cut, but he would be on notice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Blight the other night about cutting all those senior players when he got there.

He said, you look at the results over the last 2 or 3 seasons which were all poor and outside the 8. The senior players are the ones that set the tone of the club. If these guys aren't getting the job done, even if they are great players, you look at getting them out and resetting the football club.

It makes a lot of sense. The same blokes have been letting us down for years. We need a new coach and a clean out of senior players. Even players such as R Gray and T Boak should not be off the table.

Senior players cut/left at end of 2017
Trengove, Monfries, Lobbe, White

Junior and mid experienced players cut/left at end of 2017
Impey, Ah Chee, Austin, Eddy, Krakouer, Palmer, Young

Seniors players cut/left at end of 2018
Wingard, Polec, Pittard, Hombsch, Thomas (AFL experience rather than Port senior player)

Junior and mid experienced players cut/left at end of 2018
Neade, Toumpas, Barry, Irra, Snelling,

If we are cutting or trading out Westhoff, Ryder, Ebert, Motlop, Rockliff, Jonas, Wines, Broadbent, Mckenzie, Trengove, Hartlett as mentioned a above, then that is just another reason to sack Hinkley. I don't want him around for the rebuild.

Houston, Butters, Duursma, Rozee, Clurey, Hayes, Ladhams, Garner, DBJ, Burton, Lycett and maybe Marshall + Drew the only untouchables for mine.

No discussions should be turned down on any other player.

Losing Wingard was bad, the way we lost him was absolutely ******* horrendous and should cost several people their jobs.

Burton and Duursma are great, but if we had actually set up a gameplan that played to Chad's strengths and not white-anted him to the point where he felt no choice but to leave, we'd have gotten a lot more for him in a trade. At one point, Chad would netted us pick 1 and a healthy amount of change.

Gotta blame someone for the inconsistency though right!

Probably could have got the same result by trading Wines instead of Wingard.

Could've and should've. Wingard has been the better player from day one. And he would fit our needs and gameplan this year miles better than Wines does.

Always remember Wingard wanted to leave because somebody insisted on playing him forward and not in midfield... meanwhile he is ripping it up in midfield at the Hawks now.
Gross mismanagement

Everyone saying get rid of wines give me a ******* spell. It's his first s**t year coming off injury after injury then we have a * head coach that plays a 100 kg inside mid on the ******* wing, if we want to get rid of one of our "bulls" it's rockcliff he literally plods around and can't kick a footy 40 meters.

Everyone saying get rid of wines give me a ******* spell. It's his first s**t year coming off injury after injury then we have a fu** head coach that plays a 100 kg inside mid on the ******* wing, if we want to get rid of one of our "bulls" it's rockcliff he literally plods around and can't kick a footy 40 meters.
Yeah but what if its Wines that wants out

"De list" of who should not be here in 2020 regardless of any upcoming draft and trade shenanigans:

Ryder. Now only a 1-year break glass ruck option - lowball offer only pls - and TBH I'd rather sign Billy as forward and "third drop" part time ruck.
Westhoff. Thank you for your service.
Broadbent. Ditto.
Johnson. Never stood up.
McKenzie. Can kick a bit. That's not enough.
Sutcliffe. Used by Ken to terrorize us.
*Trengove. Entirely competent at role but victim of Rockliff's contract.

*Contracts aside, on pure "value for money" it should be Rockliff out, not Trengove. For 2020 since Rockliff seems bound to be here I want one of Drew and or Atley regularly playing AFL and Rocky doing that midfield leadership role at the Magpies instead. Unfortunate for Trengove.

EDIT: just to be clear I meant lowball Ryder, not Billy

The following and not just for on field performance

- SPP - number 1 we need to get rid of. More trouble than he’s worth
- Broadbent
- Mayes
- hewett
- McKenzie
- S gray
- Trengove
- Sutcliffe

While I agree with those outs, they're not exactly paradigm shifts in Port's list management, bar maybe SPP.

The rest are borderline best 22 (Broadbent, Sgray) or not even close to best 22 selection.

While I acknowledge the need for a strong list of players challenging for a spot in the seniors, it's not the players in the magpies that are causing the Power's inconsistency.

Ryder needs to go. I've loved him as a player, even when at the Dons - but he's cooked and holding back Ladhams/Hayes. But even that's an "easy" call.

We need to trade one of: Wines and/or Hartlett. Neither having the consistent impact they should, both are surplus to requirements, and both have at least reasonably good trade value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back