List Mgmt. Players who should not be at Port in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
IMO the first 4 to go should be

1. Sam gray, another away game where he contributed absolutely nothing.
2. Paddy ryder, game has gone past him, adds nothing other than tap work nowadays, is a 2 grabber and at times shirks the contest.
3. Westy, great bloke, does wonderful things off the field, but he shits me as a player, absolutely shits me with his inconsistency and the fact we are making up a spot to keep him in the team is even worse
4. Wines, reached his ceiling in his first year, the game also has gone past a slow plodding midfielder with s**t skills. Send him to melb to be with his best buddy

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
At one point, Chad would netted us pick 1 and a healthy amount of change
Thats not just our fault....

And we wouldn't have traded him if he was worth that...

As for Wines that has the potential to get as ugly as the Burgoyne one, probably worse.

Port_Girl_92

Senior List
Mar 8, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thats not just our fault....

And we wouldn't have traded him if he was worth that...

As for Wines that has the potential to get as ugly as the Burgoyne one, probably worse.

Not a chance. Why do people think Wines is a good player.

The only thing he had going for him was his contested work, which has also now turne to garbage. He lacks skills, lacks positioning, no leadership at all.

See ya later and don't let the door hit you on the way out, because then we need to fix the door because it would break because Wines is so unnecessarily big.

Jun 4, 2007
somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do you think the criticism is about as far off the mark as his kicking? Or is it as undeserved as his spot in the 22?
He hasn't had a great year I'll admit that but he hasn't had the chance to have a good run at due to injury. Everyone cracking the shits with wines needs to go to a game and watch where he is being played it's Travis boak 17-18 all over again.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He hasn't had a great year I'll admit that but he hasn't had the chance to have a good run at due to injury. Everyone cracking the s**ts with wines needs to go to a game and watch where he is being played it's Travis boak 17-18 all over again.

It’s almost as if he shouldn’t of been doing backflips on his wakeboard and ruining his shoulder a month before the preseason games starting hey ?

Appalling lack of professionalism and pathetic standards from a “professional” footballer.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You mean living his life doing what he has done every other off season.

Because that makes it acceptable doesn’t it, either your a professional or your not. Could have just as easily been an ACL not a shoulder.

Being a professional athlete means making sacrifices where the risk is to high.

Fos Williams wouldn’t let his players ski in the 60s because of the risk, but Ollie on close to a million can ?

We aren’t talking about surfing where the risk of serious injury is low, with wakeboarding the way Ollie does the risk of serious injuries that result needing shoulder and Knee reconstructions are very high.

Jun 4, 2007
somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Because that makes it acceptable doesn’t it, either your a professional or your not. Could have just as easily been an ACL not a shoulder.

Fos Williams wouldn’t let his players ski in the 60s because of the risk, but Ollie on close to a million can ?

We aren’t talking about surfing where the risk of serious injury is low, with wakeboarding the way Ollie does the risk of serious injuries that result needing shoulder and Knee reconstructions are very high.
I have no issues with him doing what he loves during the off season, other wise he just becomes a robot. Ollie will learn from his mistakes. Talks of trading him are absolutely a joke, he was our best mid last year if you want to get rid of someone get rid of rockcliff he's came in to the club and done SFA.

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have no issues with him doing what he loves during the off season, other wise he just becomes a robot. Ollie will learn from his mistakes. Talks of trading him are absolutely a joke, he was our best mid last year if you want to get rid of someone get rid of rockcliff he's came in to the club and done SFA.

He has never been our best mid and will never be our best mid

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some players have gotta go .... BUT

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

Geez I am old because I remember Fos' water skiing ban. Bubbles Obst tore a groin muscle skiing on the Murray so Fos banned players from water skiing. That must be almost sixty years ago. I am old.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Not only am I old but I am also fickle. Last week I could not see the need for major changes to our list but this week I think we easily have six or so who can go. Something must have happened last weekend ?

Of course the reality is it doesn't matter who we bring onto the list they will have the Hinkley influence to contend with.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Every player that have arrived for the 2018 season, I would give them the benefit of the doubt:

Boyd Woodcock
Cameron Sutcliffe
Connor Rozee
Jack Trengove
Jack Watts
Jake Patmore
Joel Garner
Kai Pudney
Kane Farrell
Martin Frederick
Riley Grundy
Ryan Burton
Sam Hayes
Sam Mayes
Scott Lycett
Steven Motlop
Tobin Cox
Tom Rockliff
Trent McKenzie
Xavier Duursma
Zak Butters

They would stay and be evaluated by the new coach.

Of the remaining players, there would be 9 that I would like to hold the most:

Billy Frampton
Dan Houston
Dougal Howard
Peter Ladhams
Robbie Gray
Todd Marshall
Tom Clurey
Travis Boak
Willem Drew

Thus, there would be 17 players from which I would take those who would leave:

Aidyn Johnson
Brad Ebert
Cameron Hewett
Charlie Dixon
Darcy Byrne-Jones
Hamish Hartlett
Jarrod Lienert
Joe Atley
Justin Westhoff
Karl Amon
Matthew Broadbent
Ollie Wines
Paddy Ryder
Riley Bonner
Sam Gray
Sam Powell-Pepper
Tom Jonas

I like many on the list, some I like a lot, but, still, we need to make space on the roster. We may get good value in return for their contracts. Besides, probably only half of them wouldn't be here next season — at the most.

Last edited:
Every player that have arrived for the 2018 season, I would give them the benefit of the doubt:

Boyd Woodcock
Cameron Sutcliffe
Connor Rozee
Jack Trengove
Jack Watts
Jake Patmore
Joel Garner
Kai Pudney
Kane Farrell
Martin Frederick
Riley Grundy
Ryan Burton
Sam Hayes
Sam Mayes
Scott Lycett
Steven Motlop
Tobin Cox
Tom Rockliff
Trent McKenzie
Xavier Duursma
Zak Butters

McKenzie, Trengove and Sutcliffe have enough exposed form at their old AFL clubs that we shouldn't need any more time to assess them. None should be on our list next year.

I'm sure some would argue that the same applies to Mayes, but I'm a bit more bullish on him than others. A) He was traded here rather than delisted, B) as recently as 2017 he was playing good football, and c) with Amon apparently leaving, Mayes is the most obvious candidate on our list to step into Amon's wing role.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
McKenzie, Trengove and Sutcliffe have enough exposed form at their old AFL clubs that we shouldn't need any more time to assess them. None should be on our list next year.

I'm sure some would argue that the same applies to Mayes, but I'm a bit more bullish on him than others. A) He was traded here rather than delisted, B) as recently as 2017 he was playing good football, and c) with Amon apparently leaving, Mayes is the most obvious candidate on our list to step into Amon's wing role.
You are right, of course. Still, they aren't expensive, and we wouldn't get much, if anything, in return from having them out of our list. Unless it is necessary to delist players, I wouldn't touch in the "two years or fewer" list.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I don't think there'll be much activity this year given the shallow draft.

We have 47 players currently.
40 Main List
4 Cat A Rookies
2 Cat B Rookies
1 Mid Season Rookie

Sack:
Hinkley

Trade:
Ryder
Amon

Delist:
McKenzie
Trengove
AJ
Hewett
Sutcliffe

Promote:
Ladhams
Lienert

Leaves us with:
3 Main List Spots
3 Rookie Spots

Main Draft:
We try and trade Amon, Ryder and our 2nd/3rd/4th round picks into 2 picks before Mead. Say pick 7 and pick 15. Then take Mead.
Then in the rookie draft we take 3 kids

I doubt we'd cut more, but...

On the cusp: (in my personal order of delisting)
Sutcliffe
Mayes
Broadbent
Westhoff
Frampton
Grundy (switch to rookie)
T Cox
Patmore
Watts

#sackhinkley

Jun 4, 2007
somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do everything to trade the following players
Rockcliff ( Take a early 2nd Rounder)
Ryder ( Take a 2nd Rounder)
S.Gray ( Late 2nd Rounder, early 3rd)
Motlop ( anything get his salary off our hands)

If we can get the Right trade that fits us trade the following:
R.Gray
Hamish Hartlett
Broadbent

Must Resign:
Amon
Frampton

Delist:
Hewett
Sutcliffe
Grundy
Johnson

R.Gray
Hamish Hartlett
Broadbent

Must Resign:
Amon
Frampton

Delist:
Hewett
Sutcliffe
Grundy
Johnson
Grundy is a long term project. He'll stay.

R.Gray
Hamish Hartlett
Broadbent

Must Resign:
Amon
Frampton

Delist:
Hewett
Sutcliffe
Grundy
Johnson
Delist Grundy? He's a project tall defender that only took up footy at age 15. He is the least of our concerns. Will stay even if it's solely (though it isn't) for our lack of tall defenders.

Back