Prediction Players who will/won’t benefit from a new coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
It's all a machine effort though. The head coach has a list given to him, he doesn't "fantasy football" a team out of thin air. So, what can they do with a list that is given to them (and taken away in a heartbeat - e.g. Hogan now absent), where a huge part of the machine is out of their control. A lot of the the staff (e.g. s&c) don't report to the head coach and a team has a legacy of the prior decades list management affecting this years chances.

If you're going to get a senior coaching gig then taking over a team that has been near the bottom for 4 straight years is a great time to do so.

Off the top of my head Pavlich, McPharlin and Hill were the only early picks in our 2013 GF team. Longmuire inherits a list with around ten first round picks, all with scope for improvement. The amount of injuries, especially to talls, is a concern but apart from that it's a great job to get.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
If you're going to get a senior coaching gig then taking over a team that has been near the bottom for 4 straight years is a great time to do so.

Off the top of my head Pavlich, McPharlin and Hill were the only early picks in our 2013 GF team. Longmuire inherits a list with around ten first round picks, all with scope for improvement. The amount of injuries, especially to talls, is a concern but apart from that it's a great job to get.

You would assumed that would you?

You know what? I have said this before, I didnt mind freos current rebuild of 2016-19. Also, freo hasnt spent in the bottom 4 for 4 straight years. Ok you said near the bottom 4. But in reality, it was one horrible bottom 4 year in 2016 and the other 3 years were bottom 6 finishes. We got a fair bit of youth and traded in some established players to help the younger guys too.

We had an Ageing Squad in that 2012-15 period and he hanged on to some of our key players that were 30 years or older. But that was mainly because Pav, Sandi, McPharlin, Mundy etc were key players that helped us get into finals.

I can see freo struggle for the 1st half of the season then every thing falls into place and freo gets a finals spot this year. Again.... it would be good if freo gets a 3-4 year run of finals under this current side. I am happy for freo to play finals from 2020 until 2022 or 2023. Again, 2-4 years in a row of finals will do wonders especially if one of those years is a prelim.

If you look at freos starting 22, there is a bulk of blokes such as Fyfe, Walters, Matera, Hamling, Wilson, Conca, Hill all in that 27-30 year old bracket. Then you got the 2016 draft class of Logue, Darcy, Cox and Ryan that will be in their 4th years.

Then you got the mids from the 2017 draft in Banfield, Brayshaw, Cerra, Crowden and Giro all in their 3rd years and contributing more in the best 22.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Wouldn’t say McPhee was phased out. Thought his 2012 was a lot better than his 2011/10.

If memory serves me correct he was played as a Fwd/Mid in 10/11 and when Lyon came here he went back to the backline!

Expect a lot of those moves this year. I remember last year Colyer was played as a Fwd last year, Cox has been a Fwd, Lachie Shultz was a higher fwd(not so much a deep crumbing fwd), obviously Cam’s role is changing.

I reckon there roles will change and I Expect these players above to come out firing.

As I said, This current freo squad has so many forward options its not even funny and this is despite our only player on our list that can kick 50 goals in jesse hogan is out indefinately.

Again.... Freo has 2 forward pockets in Walters and Matera. Switkowski can play as a forward pocket too off the bench. I dont expect Walters to kick 40 goals this season. If walters and Matera both play 22 games, I expect both to kick 66 goals between them. I dont care if both kick 33 each. I dont care if Matera kicks 30 goals and walters kick 36.

Lobb is likely to play FF. Thats expected. Tarberner and McCarthy play as 2nd and 3rd talls as a roaming centre half forward or on a forward flank. Then another winger or mid takes the last flank.

If Darcy is injured, Play Taberner at FF as he is 197cm and likely to double team him. That means Cam McCarthy plays as a Roaming CHF. you can also put a dixon or Cox as a 3rd tall on a forward flank.

Any half decent coach with our forward line should easily have a plan A and Plan B here.

Plan A: Bomb the ball to the FF in Tarberner or Lobb and hope they get 2-4 goals for the day.

Plan B: if Tabs or Lobb is double teamed, pass to a Cam McCarthy or Walters or Matera and hope one of those 3 lead the goalkicking with 3-5 goals.

Freos forward line is a very solid all round forward line. There isnt a reliance on one bloke.

This is a medium scoring side we have. And when I say medium scoring side, I mean a team that can kick 12-14 goals a game to win.

So if freo has 20 scoring shots, I dont care if they kick 14.6.90 or 13.7.85 or 12.8.80. These days thats enough to beat half the teams on a good day in modern Days AFL.

There is more flexability and solutions in this forward line compared to 2012-15 where we had Walters and Ballantyne on the forward pockets, pavlich at FF and Mayne at CHF and had to fill the forward flanks with mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back