Remove this Banner Ad

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
So we’ve got Jlo in now.

I’m still thinking swittas lack of disposal and lack of confidence in his ability will see him @ peel most the season. Look back at the fwd line Jlo coached at the Eagles..they could all jag a goal.

I’m also thinking Lobb better get used to the ruck..that’s the future for afl rucks. Not big fat blokes with no tank.

I think Colyer will be best 22 next year. Could be as a winger or off HBF. His speed is impressive ( he’s like Mendoza from mighty ducks) we just need to utilize it! (Do what Adam Sadd does) break the lines!

Even though I’m not a huge fan. I reckon Jlo can turn McCarthy into a 30-40 goal fwd.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
So we’ve got Jlo in now.

I’m still thinking swittas lack of disposal and lack of confidence in his ability will see him @ peel most the season. Look back at the fwd line Jlo coached at the Eagles..they could all jag a goal.

I’m also thinking Lobb better get used to the ruck..that’s the future for afl rucks. Not big fat blokes with no tank.

I think Colyer will be best 22 next year. Could be as a winger or off HBF. His speed is impressive ( he’s like Mendoza from mighty ducks) we just need to utilize it! (Do what Adam Sadd does) break the lines!

Even though I’m not a huge fan. I reckon Jlo can turn McCarthy into a 30-40 goal fwd.
Switta is an interesting one, he's very fast, tackles well. I'm interested to see if JLo and staff can make him a bit like Stephenson.

Agreed on Lobb but with a good preseason Darcy will be good.

IF McCarthy could learn Mayne's work ethic he'd be great but it isn't going to happen.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
Maybe not relevant to this thread but would we be a better team against Port if Mayne and DeBoer were still playing for us? We know their faults but their respective coaches have turned them into key players for their teams.

People complain that Ross favoured effort over skills, then the same poeple complain that we should have kept DeBoer and Co. DeBoer looks great surrounded by star midfielders at GWS. In a bottom 8 team that butchers the ball he's a liability.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
People complain that Ross favoured effort over skills, then the same poeple complain that we should have kept DeBoer and Co. DeBoer looks great surrounded by star midfielders at GWS. In a bottom 8 team that butchers the ball he's a liability.
GWS played in the GF this year (or at least showed up). So we perhaps should have gotten those star midfielders instead of gotten rid of DeBoer...

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
GWS played in the GF this year (or at least showed up). So we perhaps should have gotten those star midfielders instead of gotten rid of DeBoer...

GWS have had the luxury of cherry picking the best teenagers in the country for almost a decade which has gifted them a star studded midfield.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
De Boer was worst on in the GF by a landslide. Love the guy but he was beyond woeful in that game. His main role if still on our list would be as a scape goat for Freo fans.

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
If anyone is going to benefit from a change of head coach it should be Luke Ryan . He has been one of the main players cementing a spot in our back line . With a new head coach and line coach working on skills more than anything else he will become the cornerstone of our rebound out of defence . He and Wilson could both become the players to deliver the ball into the forward line .Carr coached the SA team that beat WA in the state game .
As a side note I would really like the idea of Freo getting Scott Cambo as a line coach .He is very highly rated by people in the know .

tek87

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
If anyone is going to benefit from a change of head coach it should be Luke Ryan . He has been one of the main players cementing a spot in our back line . With a new head coach and line coach working on skills more than anything else he will become the cornerstone of our rebound out of defence . He and Wilson could both become the players to deliver the ball into the forward line .Carr coached the SA team that beat WA in the state game .
As a side note I would really like the idea of Freo getting Scott Cambo as a line coach .He is very highly rated by people in the know .

what? Ryan just had his best year in his career where he was given the responsibility of being a loose player in defence a number of times. he was being talked as a possible all australian squad player before injury struck. Using that logic perhaps the new coach can improve Fyfe's kicking skills or at least develop him into something useful?

tek87

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe not relevant to this thread but would we be a better team against Port if Mayne and DeBoer were still playing for us? We know their faults but their respective coaches have turned them into key players for their teams.
Deboer played some good defensive roles for us , even alongside Crowley. Chris Mayne had some excellent years as a player for the dockers and then got scapegoated late in his docker career, which he was even moreso in his first year and a half at the magpies. But dont let that stop you creating a narrative that completely ignores their past playing history at the dockers

tek87

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sam Sturt. Lightly framed, creative goalkicking forward - the sort of player that has never made it in a Lyon team because they don’t have the right GPS or tackle numbers, and don’t thrive in a wrestle match vs 2 defenders when the ball is bombed in over and over.
garbage! Sturt had multiple concussions in his rookie year, but keep making up crap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really hope Blakely, Cerra and McCarthy come along under Jlo. On reflection Mark Harvey was the best coach to precede Ross as he backed in the youth from the beginning. I remember Stephen Hill and Suban barely getting a touch in their first few weeks but he had full confidence in them and how they play.

I'm still happy with the professionalism and discipline that Ross brought to the club but he had his favourites and some players progressed while others didn't. He was also obsessed with players bulking up and being multipositional. Again it works for some but not others.

Due to the change in game style - Ryan and Fyfe may not be as prominent. We may switch from a congestion focused team (slightly decreasing Fyfe's output) and may be a bit more direct form defence which will reduce cheap stats off the half back. In the 09-10 period - Sam Fisher and Gilbert used to rack up the stats for the Aints.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
Deboer played some good defensive roles for us , even alongside Crowley. Chris Mayne had some excellent years as a player for the dockers and then got scapegoated late in his docker career, which he was even moreso in his first year and a half at the magpies. But dont let that stop you creating a narrative that completely ignores their past playing history at the dockers

Refresh my memory; which years were Chris Mayne’s excellent years?
A classic Fremantle myth is Chris’ tackling prowess.
Catching an opponent a millisecond after they dispose of the ball is great ?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Refresh my memory; which years were Chris Mayne’s excellent years?
A classic Fremantle myth is Chris’ tackling prowess.
Catching an opponent a millisecond after they dispose of the ball is great ?

2012 was his best year from memory. And the years either side of that he was ok too. Otherwise he was bog ordinary.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
....He and Wilson could both become the players to deliver the ball into the forward line .

I really hope whatever hindered Wilson last season gets resolved this year. Can you imagine Wilson’s break away speed and carry and (future draftee) Young’s elite kick both in our HB line. I could get used to seeing that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really hope whatever hindered Wilson last season gets resolved this year. Can you imagine Wilson’s break away speed and carry and (future draftee) Young’s elite kick both in our HB line. I could get used to seeing that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Don't forget about Ryan. Heaps of potential with that trio!

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
These players in my opinion won't benefit due to their lack of AFL standard ability in some ,statue ie height and build and others with just poor football nounize Matera ,Shultz Giro , Colyer, McCathy and Crowden . Others that will have limited opportunities and will be delisted or traded if they are lucky unless they can improve Cox , Meek and Logue . Injury prone players that are also on the edge North , Hogan , S Hill and Dixon .
These players are in serious trouble with the recent trading and the recruits that are building from last years draft

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
I feel like Serong, Young and Henry will all benefit from a new coach.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I remember in Lyon’s first year we saw the Rebirth of McPhee in defence, Crowley cutting the fat returning as a tagger, Clancee became a regular and Johnson turned his career around. Walters came to town.

On the flip side Broughton became out of favour, after a solid first year in 2011 Nick Lower only played 3 games and out the door, Grover played one then retired quietly. Silvagni found less chances in the 22.

Obviously it’s hard to tell atm as we don’t have a coach..

But my question to you is what players or player on the ropes could benefit with a new coach and system? And who might find themselves on the outer?
funny time to be a freo fan back in 2012....

Yeah McPhee was phased out. So was Grover, But he atleast made it to 200 games.

Walters, Michael Johnson and Clancee pearce all had solid seasons in 2012. I just looked at some of clancee pearces 2012 stats: he had a few 25 disposal games.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Sean Darcy will be our number 1 ruckman. But I see Llyod Meek getting 2-7 games next year if either Lobb or Darcy is injuried. I just cant see Both Darcy and Lobb play all 22 games in 2020, I see them both play 20 games each.

the Backline when the best available is there is good enough

When Ross Lyon was our coach in 2012, some average fringe mids kicked 10-15 goals each like Clancee Pearce and tendai Mzungu.

So I can see someone Like Travis Coyler and Reece Conca do the same thing.

Hogan is out indefinately. But Although the Forward line is average, theres a few players to work with. I get laughed at when I am happy for 2 solid or average forwards kick 66 goals between them or 3 goals a game on average. So if McCarthy kicks 36 goals and either Lobb or Tarberner kicks 30, then theres your 66 goals. Hell, I wont be suprised if Lobb is Double teamed and kicks 26 goals in 2020 and Cam is freed up and kicks 40 goals from 22 games including multiple bags of 4-5 goals in certain games.

Walters and Matera can kick 33 each for all I care.

Any forwards get injured, throw a mid in a forward flank for them to kick 22 goals.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
They potentially all can benefit from fresh eyes giving feedback. Maybe they'll take feedback on board, maybe they won't, coaching is probably akin to cat herding.

It's all a machine effort though. The head coach has a list given to him, he doesn't "fantasy football" a team out of thin air. So, what can they do with a list that is given to them (and taken away in a heartbeat - e.g. Hogan now absent), where a huge part of the machine is out of their control. A lot of the the staff (e.g. s&c) don't report to the head coach and a team has a legacy of the prior decades list management affecting this years chances.

If we do well this year or get a flag in the next 2 or 3, there will be a lot of kids called Justin and he is a saint and saviour in the annals of Freo folklore. But it is as good as the machine, the many staff out of his control, the legacy of prior decisions made by the club (better facilities or flying players to Melbourne for sports medicine where once it didn't happen), the dumb luck of injuries working for or against you and a range of things long before it's a case of how loud did you yell in a players face or drop them from the team and other coachy things.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
funny time to be a freo fan back in 2012....

Yeah McPhee was phased out. So was Grover, But he atleast made it to 200 games.

Walters, Michael Johnson and Clancee pearce all had solid seasons in 2012. I just looked at some of clancee pearces 2012 stats: he had a few 25 disposal games.

Wouldn’t say McPhee was phased out. Thought his 2012 was a lot better than his 2011/10.

If memory serves me correct he was played as a Fwd/Mid in 10/11 and when Lyon came here he went back to the backline!

Expect a lot of those moves this year. I remember last year Colyer was played as a Fwd last year, Cox has been a Fwd, Lachie Shultz was a higher fwd(not so much a deep crumbing fwd), obviously Cam’s role is changing.

I reckon there rolese will change and I Expect these players above to come out firing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back