Players with real speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's not confuse lack of pace with lack of effort. We looked pretty quick in the first half.

The Bulldogs tried to play us at our game and that's why we gave them a hiding up until half time.

Then they went in to full globetrotter mode to actively AVOID playing us in contested football.

I know Ziebell has joined Higgins in training with the running coach. Not sure who else. I read somewhere they even plan their holidays around where he’ll be.
Why aren't all the players being given running training as part of their development, the club needs to look at it as we aren't the fastest on the track and it is usually about running style which can be corrected once identified

Why aren't all the players being given running training as part of their development, the club needs to look at it as we aren't the fastest on the track and it is usually about running style which can be corrected once identified

Good question. I’d hope they are but I imagine ( I wish I could remember his name) the bloke that helped with Higgins would be very hard to put on a retainer. I’m sure there’s others out there though.

Nielson has had the most vfl bests of any of our players.

That’s so we can trade him for a 1st rounder

We're all special little flowers but surely basic biomechanics apply across the board, would this be right Carlos Herrrnandez ?

When a bloke's running style involves lots of head flopping, rotational arm flapping and legs flailing I'd have thought that's a huge energy leak.

Regardless there's a supposition that all AFL clubs study every little detail and have all the right people in place with regards to their conditioning and athletic performance.

Based on direct information this isn't the case. It's a well paid but not stupidly well paid industry in this area and there's plenty of room for improvement at many clubs.

During Laidley years our conditioning included a "bis and tris" day. Seriously. Players put themselves on their own programs when they thought the club ones were s**t (and no wonder).

Collingwood and Richmond (before they turned it around) both engaged yoga instructors a few years ago. Collingwood had a very good attendance rate with players trying to do extras. Richmond players opted out or took a half-arsed approach.

The club had a choice to send player X to an experienced or inexperienced surgeon in the last couple of years and willingly chose the latter despite being warned. Job botched, had to do it all over again.

The industry is as varied in its professionalism and intelligence as any other.

/tangent

Most of our players are happy enough to be AFL footballers - not driven enough

Has he ever used it ?

He takes time to build up his pace - first 10 isn’t quick

FWIW I have a mate who plays VFL

He played on Narrier a few weeks ago. I spoke to him a few days ago and asked what he thought about the North side. We went through most of the VFL players I could think of and his one word review of Narrier was "******* quick"

Keep in mind this is a bloke who ran competitively as a junior. Said he couldn't keep up with Narrier. What he did say was that Narrier actively hates contact and doesn't want to go near it. Unfortunate really as if we are talking raw, unadulterated, Top Gun speed, Narrier is about the best example on our list
Watched him play in Perth and at school (Hale) and yes he's fast, but bloody contact shy. Not a defensive player either, but he can be worked with. At training he always avoided matching up on Kyron, was a bit of a joke amongst the boys I'm told.

Good question. I’d hope they are but I imagine ( I wish I could remember his name) the bloke that helped with Higgins would be very hard to put on a retainer. I’m sure there’s others out there though.
Hopefully this NBA guy whose going to work with the players off season works on their explosion. Those first half dozen steps are bloody important not just in basketball and top basketball coaches take it very seriously.

Hopefully this NBA guy whose going to work with the players off season works on their explosion. Those first half dozen steps are bloody important not just in basketball and top basketball coaches take it very seriously.

Definitely. Though I think his go is all about living life day to day as an elite athlete, rather then a specific running coach.

We're all special little flowers but surely basic biomechanics apply across the board, would this be right Carlos Herrrnandez ?

When a bloke's running style involves lots of head flopping, rotational arm flapping and legs flailing I'd have thought that's a huge energy leak.

Regardless there's a supposition that all AFL clubs study every little detail and have all the right people in place with regards to their conditioning and athletic performance.

Based on direct information this isn't the case. It's a well paid but not stupidly well paid industry in this area and there's plenty of room for improvement at many clubs.

During Laidley years our conditioning included a "bis and tris" day. Seriously. Players put themselves on their own programs when they thought the club ones were s**t (and no wonder).

Collingwood and Richmond (before they turned it around) both engaged yoga instructors a few years ago. Collingwood had a very good attendance rate with players trying to do extras. Richmond players opted out or took a half-arsed approach.

The club had a choice to send player X to an experienced or inexperienced surgeon in the last couple of years and willingly chose the latter despite being warned. Job botched, had to do it all over again.

The industry is as varied in its professionalism and intelligence as any other.

/tangent
Can confirm.

West Coast in the 2000's were big on yoga too. A lot of players scoffed at it as the perception was it was a female thing and wouldn't help. They noticed the flexibility and balance improvements and it because a player-wide activity.

One of the big reasons Richmond has done so well is because everything they do is structured and well thought out. Players buy into that and you have a collective unit. As much as I hate them they have their s**t sorted out.

I've seen their on and off field program - it is through and backed by scientific research. Players are monitored to the point where they measure their sleep analytics. Highly individualised and they are right on top of player psychology too. Their assistant coaches are sent to do post grad units as an extra so they know what their talking about.

It's quite pathetic when you hear some of the stories that come out of other clubs (and other sports - Rugby league...) in comparison. Even more so when AFL athletes should be the top of the top when it comes to Australian talent (factoring in the sort of funding they have etc.).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can confirm.

West Coast in the 2000's were big on yoga too. A lot of players scoffed at it as the perception was it was a female thing and wouldn't help. They noticed the flexibility and balance improvements and it because a player-wide activity.

One of the big reasons Richmond has done so well is because everything they do is structured and well thought out. Players buy into that and you have a collective unit. As much as I hate them they have their s**t sorted out.

I've seen their on and off field program - it is through and backed by scientific research. Players are monitored to the point where they measure their sleep analytics. Highly individualised and they are right on top of player psychology too. Their assistant coaches are sent to do post grad units as an extra so they know what their talking about.

It's quite pathetic when you hear some of the stories that come out of other clubs (and other sports - Rugby league...) in comparison. Even more so when AFL athletes should be the top of the top when it comes to Australian talent (factoring in the sort of funding they have etc.).
I heard they are big into Pilates at Richmond to.

I heard they are big into Pilates at Richmond to.
Yep. A club should close down if they don't do pilates at some stage during their week. Great for recovery when you just want to keep the loose.

Can't speak highly enough of that type of training.

I've got a pilates reformer at home. I feel like Van Damme at times especially when I strap the cuffs to my ankles and start doing the splits. Great for injury prevention training as you go through a wide range of movements.

Can confirm.

We should be investing in Vald. Pisses all over kangatech.

Yep. A club should close down if they don't do pilates at some stage during their week. Great for recovery when you just want to keep the loose.

Can't speak highly enough of that type of training.

I've got a pilates reformer at home. I feel like Van Damme at times especially when I strap the cuffs to my ankles and start doing the splits. Great for injury prevention training as you go through a wide range of movements.
The best for core strength and injury recovery.

We should be investing in Vald. Pisses all over kangatech.
Too predictable and boring.

726.gif

Who won the ANZSTA and who predicted it? Granted it was too predictable! Insert cat gif...
Vald won an award at ANZSTA. You don't "win the ANZSTA".

You really went out on a limb there predicting VALD performance - a company financially backed by an Australian university for almost half a decade now. They were basically 1.001 to win the emerging tech award. The NordBord was a huge success and has brought in significant cash flow -> hence the expansion (need fancy looking products, marketing, etc. Their groin bar is exactly what Kangatech is except Kangatech has more analytics because it has been used longer. Kangatech only got off the ground at the end of 2016. The Nordbord had been tested for some time and released in 2014. North "investing in VALD" doesn't happen as they don't need the capital. If North rings Vald they basically say "sure you can buy our products". Kangatech was created with the help of North (access to players etc.) and is mutually beneficial for both parties. One brings revenue to North and will do for some time, the other does not.

Both the groin bar and Kangatech can co-exist in the same market because there are a number of performance institutes, physio's, athletes worldwide. No different to the world existing with Garmin, polar, fitbit, apple watch, samsung gear, suunto etc. Both Steve and Dr. Shield are colleagues with an aim of decreasing the risk of injury and helping athletes -> hence why they started research in the field. They share ideas and are in regular contact - they both speak at the same conferences and the same conference panels.

I know this will fall on deaf ears because you're an ignorant s**t poster just looking for a bit of attention. Which is exactly why you jumped on twitter and did a couple of minutes of search just to make comments you know very little about.

Hibberd ain’t quick, he is an endurance athlete. Might have okay closing speed but definitely isn’t a line breaker. Much line McMillan. Has a bit of toe, but doesn’t have that extra gear.

Speaking of McMillan it’s our half back line that is in dire need of some genuine speed. Wright, Mcdonald, Mcmillan, Thompson, EVW all offer nothing in the way of game breaking speed. I’ve been saying it for years.

We honestly don’t have the answers on our list currently with Mountford being the only exception.

If we are really wanting speed there is actually a fair bit of it available on the open market.

- Jayden Hunt is on the outer at Melbourne.
- Jason Castagna still hasn’t signed with Richmond.
- Brad Hill wants to come back to Victoria.
- Conor Menadue can’t get a game at the tigs
- Tyson Stengel and Shai Bolton see above.
- Sam Murray from Collingwood only signed a one year deal when he moved From sydney last year.
- Nic Newman and Jake Lloyd from the swans both have a bit of toe and can find the pill.
- Gaff and Harbrow are two attainable free agents with line breaking pace.
- Jake Neade from Port can move but can’t find the footy.
- Jay Kennedy Harris can also move.

There are options available

Hibberd ain’t quick, he is an endurance athlete. Might have okay closing speed but definitely isn’t a line breaker. Much line McMillan. Has a bit of toe, but doesn’t have that extra gear.

Speaking of McMillan it’s our half back line that is in dire need of some genuine speed. Wright, Mcdonald, Mcmillan, Thompson, EVW all offer nothing in the way of game breaking speed. I’ve been saying it for years.

We honestly don’t have the answers on our list currently with Mountford being the only exception.

If we are really wanting speed there is actually a fair bit of it available on the open market.

- Jayden Hunt is on the outer at Melbourne.
- Jason Castagna still hasn’t signed with Richmond.
- Brad Hill wants to come back to Victoria.
- Conor Menadue can’t get a game at the tigs
- Tyson Stengel and Shai Bolton see above.
- Sam Murray from Collingwood only signed a one year deal when he moved From sydney last year.
- Nic Newman and Jake Lloyd from the swans both have a bit of toe and can find the pill.
- Gaff and Harbrow are two attainable free agents with line breaking pace.
- Jake Neade from Port can move but can’t find the footy.
- Jay Kennedy Harris can also move.

There are options available
A new team of those blokes would prolly be instantly more competative than suns and bluws.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back