Club History Players you didn't think would make it, but did!

Remove this Banner Ad

I went and watched a pre-season training session at Windy Hill leading up to the 2008 season. Was generally laughing internally watching Hooker running around. Kept stubbing his foot on the ground when he went to kick it and had that 'I've pinged both hammy's running style. Also remember an article on the bombers website suggesting he might be the best of that years draft crop. I'd have happily put money on him never playing a senior game let alone having the career he's had.

Must admit Hooker is one I missed.

I had zero faith in him, Christ I was wrong.

He’d be close to the most reliable, trustworthy player we have, and a phenomenal leader to boot.

Brutally strong, he’d be damn near the best contested mark in the game.

Must admit Hooker is one I missed.

I had zero faith in him, Christ I was wrong.

He’d be close to the most reliable, trustworthy player we have, and a phenomenal leader to boot.

Brutally strong, he’d be damn near the best contested mark in the game.
Between him and Tom Hawkins for me. The game they played against each othe this year was awesome.

yaco55 windyhill and anyone else who saw a lot of footy form the late 70s.

I heard many a person almost laughed at the player Roger Merrett was when he first started playing in the reserves. From there to a duel premiership player for us to the fantastic player and club stalwart he was for the Brisbane Bears was quite a transformation over the journey.

Was he that bad when he first started, or did I hear a story that was devoid of fact?

Gotta admit that Merrett jumped out of the ground - Was always good at Reserves level but was like a duck of water in his first three or four years in the VFL - Could never predict he would turn out that good.

I actually had greater hopes for Kevin Walsh - Always had the raw tools but tended to lose concentration in games and make silly errors - He gradually this aspect of his game to end up a good,solid player.

I wasn't sure about Derek Kickett initially. Didn't take long to be convinced.
I umpired him in a districts game once after his afl career. Despite being wider than he was tall, he would still find a way to mark one handed, side step an opponent and kick a backwards goal over his head.
The master of building low expectations. I was surprised every time he did anything!

I made a similar thread on the Lists forum;
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/hacks-to-stars.1098974/
Fletch was the big one for me. Really thought he was just a father/son error of hope over substance. Played against him at junior level once and thought he was overhyped for what he could do and was way too wiry for a FB. My bad...

Fantasia and Kevin Walsh
Why Fantasia? Too slight?

Skill-wise he's always looked the part, even as a 18-19 year in his first season, you could just tell from his VFL games that we had a silky one on our hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cale Hooker is the big one for me. I remember a few years ago there were hints we were trying to offload him + a high draft pick to the Gold Coast for Josh Caddy and was desperate for that trade to got through.

Hate to bring him up but Jake Carlisle. When he started out he looked in shock every time the ball went near him. He had the biggest case of deer in the headlights I'd ever seen. Didn't think he would last.

Hate to bring him up but Jake Carlisle. When he started out he looked in shock every time the ball went near him. He had the biggest case of deer in the headlights I'd ever seen. Didn't think he would last.

Really? I thought he looked pretty good for a raw KPP. Took a dozen or so marks in his second or third game, and in 2011 he had a very good block of games towards the end of the year.

Really? I thought he looked pretty good for a raw KPP. Took a dozen or so marks in his second or third game, and in 2011 he had a very good block of games towards the end of the year.
His ability to read the high ball was on display from day one. He just looked like a bit of a baby giraffe at times as the skinny tall blokes do.

I had my doubts about Langford at one point despite being pretty optimistic early on but it looks like he will end up being a gun.

Francis as well despite the obvious talent. I would have traded him to Adelaide!

Neither have made it yet but they are both showing signs that they will.

There was a period I lost 80% of my belief in Cale Hooker and I have attempted to atone for it ever since.
Yep, even after going from perceived liability (and I agreed) to All Australian, he gets underrated; he's right now one of our absolute best and most important players. Daniher is the only clearly more important and effective player in the side.

Two of the bigger ones for mine.
Zaharakis , thought he was simply too one sided in the under 18's so never rated him early.
Walla , not from his skill level or ability but watching early with Gippsland Power and then in our VFL side I had massive questions on his ability to be able to run out games.

Talent has shone through - absolute peaheart though.

Angus monfries. Never thought he would get to 100 games little lone 200.

I really didn’t think Langford would become a genuine mid. Probably hasn’t quite made it yet but you’d certainly back him from here. Pretty sure there was a time I was off Hooker as well.

Always thought Tippa was a good chance, even before he was listed - speed, power, ball handling and two sided with a textbook kicking action. Tanks can be built over time if a bloke is prepared to do the work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back