Players You Love to Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this even up for discussion? It's Fyfe.

The whole AFL and Australian population have heard the stories. He's an all-round bad guy. I wouldn't want anything to do with him. The entire Fremantle playing group avoid him like the plague, they'll happily tell you if you ever ask.

Sicily, but his dickishness kinda adds to the game. Dont know him personally but on the field he does act like a flog, like one of those schoolyard bullies. Puopolo and Stratton kinda get to me too. Maynard reminds me of Scott Pendlebury with a mullet. I thought Fyfe was everyone's darling? Guess I'm unaware of how hated he is. I don't dislike Cox but still surprised he's got a spot.

Sure Brayden Maynard has a rude head, but he helped us win a flag by offering his ribs to Liam Ryan, giving Willie a hug so that we could have a left footer take the kick to win, handpassed it to Vards at the last bounce and then kicked it down the throat of Luke Shuey in the last minute. You can't hate a bloke that must so desperately want to play for us that he helps us out so much.

Charlie Dixon, biggest faux tough guy going around in footy. Walks around like he's the biggest thing since sliced bread, but goes missing the second the going gets tough. Single handedly cost Port that final against us in 17 by trying to be a hero and kick a banana from the impossible angle instead of just continuing into the open goal.

Taylor Walker, also has the faux tough guy act as mentioned above but at least has a few runs on the board from his better years before the 17 Grand Final.

Mason Cox, only in the league because he's American, change his nationality to Australia and he would struggle to get a game in the VFL.

James Sicily, just an all round arrogant twat.

Nat Fyfe, worst captain in the game, thinks he's LeBron James with that sleeve (don't buy the grandmother story for a second, you've got a giant 7 on your back that should be a pretty decent giveaway). Doesn't even know his own teammates names, spends more time worrying about his hair than he does playing footy, and has a habit for throwing elbows. Wouldn't know what humility is if it crashed into the windscreen of his helicopter.
Good list

Plus Franklin - campaigner destroys us every time we play him, and my missus loves him. Prick

I can’t hate Buddy. Hate playing against him but he’s the player I admired most growing up and tried to emulate when I played.
Yeah mate the bloke is *ing unreal but seems to save some of his best footy for us, speshally lately. Saw plenty of Franklin when he was a hawk as my missus is a member and I tagged along all the time. Still love to hate him

Is this even up for discussion? It's Fyfe.

The whole AFL and Australian population have heard the stories. He's an all-round bad guy. I wouldn't want anything to do with him. The entire Fremantle playing group avoid him like the plague, they'll happily tell you if you ever ask.

What stories exactly, for an uninformed campaigner like myself?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

34346.jpg

Hated Cyril with a passion. Always thought he was overrated (Didn't realise how good he was until we got a Rioli of our own), was forced to listen to Bruce cream himself every time Cyril did something and he would always destroy us

Tom Lynch is a flog and I'm not that big of a Jack Riewoldt fan either

I know he's retired (unfortunately) but I did always both love and hate Ballantyne.
He was the dirtiest, most annoying player in the competition. He relied on annoying the opposition rather than being better than them, and like everyone I just wanted to smack him.
But I did love the fact that Freo kept signing him on for another year, clogging up a list spot, using salary cap space and getting games for 4 years that he frankly wasn't good enough to get and that just slowed down development of the next generation of small forwards. I just wanted that to continue forever.
His career was underwhelming (to put it mildly). Over 11 years averaged 2 goals a game in only 1 season (2014). Compare that to LeCras (6 times), Walters (3 times) and Eddie Betts (6 times).

Now it's Nathan Freeman. What a turd of a human being.

And Clayton Oliver. Don't know what it is, but by Dog does he have something about him that you just want to... Yes, you do. You can't help yourself. You see his round, pale face and you just want to... re-arrange it.

Footy wouldn’t be the same without some villains. If they played for us they’d be your favourite player.

However...

Tom Lynch is the private school prefect who’d dob you in for having a durrie after school. He left for the best team in the comp (who would have won a flag with me in the goal square), and loves a cheap shot. F*ck him.

Footy wouldn’t be the same without some villains. If they played for us they’d be your favourite player.

However...

Tom Lynch is the private school prefect who’d dob you in for having a durrie after school. He left for the best team in the comp (who would have won a flag with me in the goal square), and loves a cheap shot. F*ck him.
Trying to find personal examples to say 'I agree', but frankly I'm struggling.

Never wanted Ballantyne. Always though LeCras was better and he'd be too disruptive.
Lynch? Good player but the last thing we need is another tall KPF.
Freeman? No thanks. Wouldn't take him if was free.

And who have we had as the pantomime villain?
Gaff to Freo fans but he's hardly had a long and ignominious career of being a badass.
Karl Langdon? A possibility but I never thought a lot of him as a player.

Green
Walters
Christensen
Most of Port Adelaide

I didn't hate Dangerfield at Adelaide but he's become insufferable at Geelong. Whether that's the Brownlow or the fact that being in Victoria gets him the media presence to demonstrate his floggishness more than he could in Adelaide, I don't know.

Time for an update!

Greene still very punchable, but it's been long enough since he stuck his studs into someone that I can forgive.
Walters I just pity now - only has one trick left and that's to duck. Could yet redeem himself and start playing properly like he can.
Still hate most of Port Adelaide.
Dangerfield still insufferable.

New candidates:
Bailey Smith - told non-Vic clubs not to draft him, has huge tickets on himself and looks like a flog to boot. Sort of person who kisses his muscles in the mirror.
Tom Lynch (Richmond) - cheap shot merchant
Most of Melbourne.

Never wanted Ballantyne. Always though LeCras was better and he'd be too disruptive.

Gaff to Freo fans but he's hardly had a long and ignominious career of being a badass.

True, we haven’t had that many. Langdon and Phil Read weren’t liked by many. Even Woosha, Phil Matera and Daniel Kerr weren’t particularly loved.

Maybe it’s my love of NBA, but I think it’s great that guys like Sicily and Mason Cox are around. Nothing wrong with a bit of strut. As Aussies, we’re supposed to like no-nonsense sportsmen like Steve Waugh. They’re great, but I don’t mind a bit of attitude.

If you ask my dee's supporting neighbour.... he hates shuey and darling.

If you ask my dee's supporting neighbour.... he hates shuey and darling.
I'm actually amazed at Shuey.
Not a poser, not a diver, not a thug. Showed admirable personal qualities when his sister died. Showed loyalty and has always come across as top notch. Especially as he was not a local boy. One of the last I would have expected.

Darling plays the accidental buffoon by dropping marks and so on. But never a thug, never a niggler, never a stager (accepting ALL forwards play a bit) in the mode of Riewoldt or Goodes or many others. Can see him more than Shuey but he really should be long way down the hate list. There's 10 guys on our list I would put above him as likely candidates.

I'm actually amazed at Shuey.
Not a poser, not a diver, not a thug. Showed admirable personal qualities when his sister died. Showed loyalty and has always come across as top notch. Especially as he was not a local boy. One of the last I would have expected.

Darling plays the accidental buffoon by dropping marks and so on. But never a thug, never a niggler, never a stager (accepting ALL forwards play a bit) in the mode of Riewoldt or Goodes or many others. Can see him more than Shuey but he really should be long way down the hate list. There's 10 guys on our list I would put above him as likely candidates.
People still remember Shuey's ducking. Port fans will never get over it.

As for Darling, he dived a bit in his early days I guess?

People still remember Shuey's ducking. Port fans will never get over it.

As for Darling, he dived a bit in his early days I guess?
If they hate Shuey for his ducking they must have a heart attack any time Selwood goes near the ball.
And we all miss the ducking of a certain L Thomas. And as for Aaron Christensen...

Shuey = amateur hour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back