Players you thought were going to be elite but never got there

Remove this Banner Ad

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Sydney Stack. Talent to burn. Second favourite for rising star 8-games into his career. Super at half back, then moved forward in a game against Saints at Marvel and kicked 4-goals in about his 10th game.

Super waste of elite talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Big Bas Zempalis. Absolute jet for West Perth, unfortunately liked the amber fluid a little too much, otherwise could have seen him playing in the Big League. Although went on to higher honours, becoming Mayor of Perth.

Screenshot 2023-01-15 9.56.20 PM.png

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm taking this thread as given it isn't referring to careers ruined by injury like those of Alex Johnson or Anthony Morabito, just guys that drifted along but never fulfilled potential.
From back when I first got interested in footy, Hawthorn ruckman Stephen Lawrence.
From my club, Des Headland springs immediately to mind
Over the years I would include, off the top of my head, Daniel Wells, Tyrone Vickery, Mitch Clark.
Rory Lobb will be near the top of this thread in 2027

Talls seem to predominate in my thinking

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
For my club (going back a few years) I thought Andrew Wills was going to be a superstar. In the end was more a journeyman.

Clint Bizzell was another I thought had all the tools but didn't really deliver
From my (our) own club I had high hopes of Brent Prismall becoming elite, but he proved to be a guy who looked good in a good team. A player from another club I always thought would make the elite status but never has (so far) is Dylan Shiel, his young days at the Giants had me thinking he’d be a gun, but IMO he’s underperformed massively these past few seasons.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Issac Heeney.

Still has time but I am not confident he can ever become consistent enough to be considered elite. When he is at his best he is unstoppable in ways few players are but the next game or even the next quarter he can disappear entirely.
Bit harsh. I reckon he's already elite. Clean, damaging, great skills, rarely wastes it.

He's been played predominantly as a forward, can't expect him to dominate and rack up the touches quarter after quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Mason Wood is one for us. Had talent and fitness to burn, and every pre season we'd expect him to break out, but it never happened. Just didn't have the consistency.

From our current list, Tarryn Thomas could be one if he doesn't start producing consistently. Arguably the most talented player we've had on our list in years.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Liam Jurrah could have been anything.

He was definitely something, just not exactly what I'd envisioned.
Yes, his skills were unbelievable. There is more like him too, but unfortunately the world they come from doesn't give them much of a chance to cope in the city. Heard he was in custody again last year, but don't know if he still is and what happened in the court case.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Mason Wood is one for us. Had talent and fitness to burn, and every pre season we'd expect him to break out, but it never happened. Just didn't have the consistency.

From our current list, Tarryn Thomas could be one if he doesn't start producing consistently. Arguably the most talented player we've had on our list in years.
I had Tarryn Thomas as my left field Supercoach selection who I thought could propel himself into the best players of the competition in the way Touk Miller had done the year prior.

Not sure where he is at

Remove this Banner Ad

Back