Opinion Players you thought would be a boom but not to be.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Bust- McLean by the length of the Flemington straight
He did (accidentally) kick the winner against the Tigers that nearly destroyed their supporters. Gotta give him some kudos for that.

I sat in front of * fan who started sledging Thornton before the game started. He got a rousing farewell when he left early.
Sure it wasn't a Blues fan? Saw a few get angry with him at games, usually before he did anything wrong.

Sure it wasn't a Blues fan? Saw a few get angry with him at games, usually before he did anything wrong.
with fair reason - had a touch of the goddards when things turned to s**t - and they mostly turned to s**t back in the day

with fair reason - had a touch of the goddards when things turned to s**t - and they mostly turned to s**t back in the day
Never really forgave him for giving Simpson a spray after the resting ruckman took a mark over Thornton and Simmo missed the contest by a couple of seconds. If Thornton thought he was outsized by his opponent, still struggling to work out how he thought Simmo was going to fix the problem.

Not that day. Think he surprised himself and us.

Feel for our players over the last 10-15 years. We did them no favours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Peter Turner was going to be great. I rememebr writing to Parko all early season telling him to use Turner as a mobile defensive ruckman. Was given 2 games and disappeared forever.

Thornton did use to s**t me sometimes.
End of day blame any bad habits he got from following Pagan instructions to the letter back in the day.
Even when Pagan left some of those habits were hard to remove from his game.

All in all, handy type in worst era of our clubs history.
Nice for him to experience a couple of finals wins in his last few years.

Very much this.
From appearances, Rats was uninspiring in the beginning, just another rather speculative recruit with a high number on his back. I wasn't expecting him to remain on our list for very long.
Certainly never dreamed back in 1990 that he would end up one of the finest inside mids and clearance kings in the game. I hope he gets another senior coaching gig soon.
From the Blueseum:

Spoke to Scott Burns one day and asked him who was the toughest player he had to stand. Said Rats without hesitation. Said he had the best hands and read of any player he had seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back