Players You'd Like To See Breakout In 2021

Soberian Tiger

Borat's cousin twice removed from village
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Breakout?

Unlikely to be anyone from Geelong. Cats don't have players young enough to have acne.

Seriously, as much as I dislike WC, Allen is probably due.

Bobby Hill too, if GWS let him.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Luke Jackson, looks the goods.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
From Freo, I'd like to see Michael Frederick take it up another level

From otehr clubs, I'm a big fan of SPS from Carlton and Florent from Sydney, would like to see both take a step forward

The American Bulldog Mitch Crowden is one I want to watch.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
The American Bulldog Mitch Crowden is one I want to watch.
I was originally not sure on Crowden but some of the stuff he did last season (Particularly his game against the pies) was very good. He's pretty inconsistent, but he still has a lot of development in front of him. I like him as a pressure forward, but I could even see him in the midfield in the future.

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack Silvagni (aka Son of Jo) has no tools other than his name. Too short and slight to be a key position player, not a particularly good kick, doesn't rack up disposals, doesn't have elite endurance. He comes out of contract at the end of 2021 and he's more likely to be delisted than have a break-out year.
Beautiful user of the football, smart decision maker in traffic and puts a lot of forward pressure on for his size (averages 3 tackles a game).
I would also argue that he's too big for the medium/small sized defenders and too fast for the key defenders. I can see him being a Jack Gunston type player if he can get his body right, he just needs some consistency.

I'm guessing you've never actually watched him play outside of when we play you.

mailman4

Senior List
Mar 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Celtics, Chelsea.
Dan Houston, LDU, Jarrod Berry, James Rowbottom

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Who I'd like to see is different to who I think will break out.

In terms of team needs, if Chol or CCJ could break out and become a viable best 22 second ruck/ forward that would really help Nankervis especially with Soldo out for 2021.
Patrick Naish probably needs a breakout year or he may well be delisted at year's end with another season in the VFL, so I'd like to see him make it. Noah Balta is already a very good player, probably had his breakout year in 2020, but I'd love to see him take the improve and elevate again, he's got AA calibre potential and really could be anything in time.

Who I think is likely to break out is Jack Ross and RCD. Jack Ross looks really fit and I reckon he was unlucky not to play more games over the last two seasons. The lack of an actual second tier competition has hurt those guys all over the league who probably could have broken into teams in 2021, they didn't have as much structure or opportunity to impress. I really think this guy is top 10 B&F material this year, will make a big jump.

The club also highly rates RCD, and despite him being raw there's a lot of potential, he's got size and speed as a midfielder and is very much a burst player. Coming into his 3rd year now as a midfielder, I think he's ready to start contributing at AFL level.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I’ll do one that I think will break out, and one that I’d like to see break out.

From Richmond I think Callum Coleman-Jones will break out. There is a huge spot that opened up in the ruck with Soldo out so I hope that he makes it.
I’d like to see Riley Collier-Dawkins break out. I believe that he’d improve our side by a lot, so having him break out would be really nice.

From other clubs, Aaron Naughton from Bulldogs is the one that I think will break out. He has shown some really positive signs (sometimes really scary for the opposition) so I think he can take the next step this year.
The one I want to see break out is Jarrod Brander from West Coast. He has the tools to make it in my opinion but was just caught up behind solid talls at West Coast. I think he’ll have a few opportunities this year to seize a spot in the best 22.
Aaron Naughton is/will be a star with a full season. If he plays a full season as a forward he'd be a 60 goal+ and Coleman medal smokie.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Aaron Naughton is/will be a star with a full season. If he plays a full season as a forward he'd be a 60 goal+ and Coleman medal smokie.
His performance against us in 2019 is still fresh in my mind. 5 goals 3 behinds, 16, disposals, 9 contested marks, 7 marks inside 50, 11 score involvements. This was only in his second year. I feel like we’ll soon see something special with a full uninterrupted season.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
His performance against us in 2019 is still fresh in my mind. 5 goals 3 behinds, 16, disposals, 9 contested marks, 7 marks inside 50, 11 score involvements. This was only in his second year. I feel like we’ll soon see something special with a full uninterrupted season.
That was a beast mode day. He was clunking everything.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Dogs posters have covered most of it but I’d mention Lewis Young as someone I hope can show something. A KPD to play alongside Keath is a clear concern on our list with huge questions marks over Gardner being afl quality and Cordy can be underwhelming as well as undersized. There’s a spot for Young and he has the size, athleticism, and marking ability to take it.

May 23, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Beautiful user of the football, smart decision maker in traffic and puts a lot of forward pressure on for his size (averages 3 tackles a game).
I would also argue that he's too big for the medium/small sized defenders and too fast for the key defenders. I can see him being a Jack Gunston type player if he can get his body right, he just needs some consistency.

I'm guessing you've never actually watched him play outside of when we play you.

A measuring stick for Jack Silvagni is James Sicily, who also started out as a forward. They were both drafted in the 50's and have similar physical characteristics. Sicily is obviously 2-3 years ahead of Jack but he had well and truly established himself at Hawthorn by a similar stage in his career.

I doubt that Silvagni has the upside of Sicily (who is an elite kick), but as you suggest I haven't seen Silvagni play that much.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack Silvagni (aka Son of Jo) has no tools other than his name. Too short and slight to be a key position player, not a particularly good kick, doesn't rack up disposals, doesn't have elite endurance.

A measuring stick for Jack Silvagni is James Sicily, who also started out as a forward. They were both drafted in the 50's and have similar physical characteristics. Sicily is obviously 2-3 years ahead of Jack but he had well and truly established himself at Hawthorn by a similar stage in his career.

I doubt that Silvagni has the upside of Sicily (who is an elite kick), but as you suggest I haven't seen Silvagni play that much.

Haven’t seen him play that much but obviously enough to conclude he has no tools, is not a particularly good kick, and does not have elite endurance. Hmmm...

May 23, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Haven’t seen him play that much but obviously enough to conclude he has no tools, is not a particularly good kick, and does not have elite endurance. Hmmm...

Yep, it's just my opinion based on the 20-odd games I guess I've seen him play. I'd have to be pretty arrogant to think I know the player better than a Carlton supporter.

Mason Redman.

Jake stringer to live up to his potential and stay injury free and lay off the cheeseburgers. He’s a prodigious talent coming into his prime.

i like the look of Zuurhar or however you spell it, he got the power and the strut.

from the dogs Rhylee West, he’s got his dad’s hands & has been forgotten last year.

For the Blues - I'm most excited about our young developing ruckman Tom DeKonig and a bloke called Kemp who might debut after the bye. Pretty strange situation for a Carlton supporter to have a few young players being deevloped in Carlton's own VFL side all with some genuinely exciting potential - a well overdue development for the Club.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
For the Blues - I'm most excited about our young developing ruckman Tom DeKonig and a bloke called Kemp who might debut after the bye. Pretty strange situation for a Carlton supporter to have a few young players being deevloped in Carlton's own VFL side all with some genuinely exciting potential - a well overdue development for the Club.
TDK will be awesome if he can become an average mark.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Tom Green to step up in his second year. Will set a record for handballs to one player, Josh Kelly, who’ll be awarded the Brownlow, after signing with StKilda.

Back