Playing at Crown with work mates

Remove this Banner Ad

We just had a 20 person sit-n-go challenge with some of my work colleagues and was lucky enough to jag a win. When we got down to the final 10 players you took your chips in with you from the other table. The other 10 started again and just played for positions 20 to 11.

First prize......just a sheriffs badge. It has become a very prestigious prize in our work environment. We also have one player as a shooting star where everyone chips in $2 and whoever takes out that player pockets the $20. It's normally a random draw just before the game starts.

Anyone else ever head down for a Friday night sit-n-go challenge with their work mates?

OldSchool said:
We just had a 20 person sit-n-go challenge with some of my work colleagues and was lucky enough to jag a win. When we got down to the final 10 players you took your chips in with you from the other table. The other 10 started again and just played for positions 20 to 11.

First prize......just a sheriffs badge. It has become a very prestigious prize in our work environment. We also have one player as a shooting star where everyone chips in $2 and whoever takes out that player pockets the $20. It's normally a random draw just before the game starts.

Anyone else ever head down for a Friday night sit-n-go challenge with their work mates?

How much do you have to pay to Crown?

Borgsta said:
How much do you have to pay to Crown?

The way Crown structures these Friday night SNG's they cost $45 per player with $15 going to the eventual winner.
To keep things friendly we actually don't have the prize money so it only cost $30 each to play. You also get a drink and your parking validated so all up it probably cost most people less that $25 to play.

You can play a single table SNG or like last night a multi table SNG.

Last night we started just after 6pm and we finished about 8.15pm.
Some prefer to play at home but I can't really fault Crown at all on these nights and prefer to play because it is supervised so well.

OldSchool said:
The way Crown structures these Friday night SNG's they cost $45 per player

I can't really fault Crown at all on these nights
Apart from the fact these games used to cost only $35 six months ago. I'll have to work harder on organising one of these, just for the fun, rather than the competition. A mate of mine has a home game one Friday a month, so I'll see if I can transfer that to Crown.

red+black said:
Apart from the fact these games used to cost only $35 six months ago. I'll have to work harder on organising one of these, just for the fun, rather than the competition. A mate of mine has a home game one Friday a month, so I'll see if I can transfer that to Crown.

I have no problem with what Crown are charging. You get what you pay for and for about $25 I don't think we could do it better at someone elses place.

Crown would have only been breaking even with the old $35 SNG's.
In the early days of this for $35 you got your parking validated, 2 drinks, $15 back as prize money and a $5 chip. We were always told that the deal was for a limited time.

To make the games more fun for everyone having someone drawn out as the shooting star or having a bounty on whoever takes out the previous winner makes it that much more enjoyable.

There are a couple of guys that take things very seriously but generally it's all for a light hearted night out after work for about 3 hours.

OldSchool said:
Crown would have only been breaking even with the old $35 SNG's.
Off topic, but the other night at a $1/$2 table, when the hourly charge was due, $5 for each player, I asked the dealer if Crown donates such table fees to charity. She had a fair wry chuckle at that one. I said surely Crown are doing ok without an extra $5 from each of us.

Playing $1/$1 yesterday, dealer did something that would add some fun to the Poker Challenge. One player was all in after the flop, one caller (my manager). Dealer requested each player turn up one hole card, and one only. My manager shows an Ace, original bettor shows a 3. Turn is a 3, we all laugh. River card dealt face down, players asked to turn up their second hole card. My manager shows a second Ace, for pocket rockets and the nut pair. Other guy merely shows a 4. Dealer turns river card over, to reveal a 4, player wins with a backdoor two pair, 4s over 3s. Was good fun. Dealer's name Belinda, Aussie girl, she's good value.

Id agree with that actually.
IMO if they are taking a 10% rake capped at however much it is on each table, then they are making enough. They dont need to charge time.

Looks like I have some mates organised for a challenge on Friday 10th, should be good, will let you all know how it goes.

OldSchool said:
The way Crown structures these Friday night SNG's they cost $45 per player with $15 going to the eventual winner.
To keep things friendly we actually don't have the prize money so it only cost $30 each to play. You also get a drink and your parking validated so all up it probably cost most people less that $25 to play.
Did you guys agree to just pay $30 each then and thus have no prizes? As you played two tables, which we'll be doing next week, are there just the top 3 prizes or do they pay top 4 or 5?

Re parking, what do you mean you get it validated, considering that parking is paid upon entry rather than when you leave? How do you get your money back?

red+black said:
Did you guys agree to just pay $30 each then and thus have no prizes? As you played two tables, which we'll be doing next week, are there just the top 3 prizes or do they pay top 4 or 5?

Re parking, what do you mean you get it validated, considering that parking is paid upon entry rather than when you leave? How do you get your money back?

We just handed them $600 and said we had already taken the prize money out of it. They are OK with that.

If you have a Crown card they will validate your parking which is normally $10. You pay for it up front but they put that value onto your card.
If you don't have a card, apply for one and they will stick the $10 onto it. Works out OK if you don't actually park there.
The thing is that most people I work with do not take their cars anyway so effectively they put $10 onto your card which you can play the pokies with. You can bet once and cash the balance in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

red+black said:
Have put it back to the 17th, already booked two tables.

You will have to let us know how you went. We have had heaps of others now wanting to play the next time but I'm not sure how a 3 table SnG would be managed.

OldSchool said:
It should be too hard for someone to organise. They can squeeze 11 on a table as well if needed.
It should or it shouldn't?

Anyway, had our Poker Challenge last night. 17 starters. I decided top 4 would pay 40%/30%/20%/10%. I bought the Idiot's Pocket Guide to Texas Holdem as a consolation prize, it was decided the winner of the loser's table would get that. A mate sitting next to me knew absolutely nothing about cards, poker, and betting. We're playing our second practice hand, and as the dealer is explaining things, I say to my mate that a pair of Aces is the best starting hand. He shows me his cards and says, "I have Aces." Man it was funny.

I finished 4th, my #1 weakness cost me a higher finish. That weakness is folding to a strong bet on the turn. I had wired sticks, two overcards on the board, straight draw showing, and I folded to a 1000 bet. River card completes my set and I would have cleaned up big time. No heart :(

Anyway, we all had a fantastic time, many thanks to Oz the Turk. And my mate who knew nothing somehow managed to win the loser's table and take home the book. Man was he rapt. A good night out. Should have boozed up first though cos if waitresses are hard to find playing cash games, it's nigh impossible when you're only playing a Poker Challenge!

I thought I'd look into private table hire, get my workmates back to Crown.

Crown has an Events & Bookings page, but some information appears to be incorrect.

That link states:
- A Private Salon is available for hire
- A minimum of 2-hour hire is required (for the Salon or regular tables)

However, Crown Ltd Gaming Marketing report:
- The Private Salon is NOT available for use
- A minimum of 3-hour hire is required
- The associated cost is $175 per hour per table (no further vig)
- Available any day, with start times of 6pm, 8pm or 10pm preferred
- You can choose whatever game you like, as well as structure the blinds, time, prizes to your preference.

One could argue that the Weekend Poker Challenge offers better value than private table hire :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back