Playing For Another Country

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
Growing up, I wanted to play cricket for Australia. I was never going to be good enough, but as with a lot of kids growing up watching their heroes out on the Adelaide Oval (or whatever your local ground happens to be) I dreamed of one day being out there.

I also have British citizenship, thanks to my mum being Scottish. Until a few years ago, I had never lived in Britain and save for one trip when I was two, I had never really been to England. But if when I was growing up and moving up the ranks of Australian cricket, I had reached a certain point where it was clear I was not going to make the next step up into the Australian team and there was a spot open in the England team, would I have jumped ship and taken it?

Having grown up wanting England beaten at every opportunity, how easy would it be to make that decision? The question that would have to be answered would be do I want to play Test cricket or do I want to play Test cricket for my country? And seeings as I had spent my entire life in Australia, that was my country.

I am not sure, as it would be a very difficult question to answer if you had spent your entire life working towards playing test cricket and here was an opportunity to fulfill that dream.

Anyone else with dual citizenship that would like to weigh in here? What would you do?

Does Luke Ronchi post on here much? Also, I wonder if the thought will cross Khawaja's mind in the near future?

But seriously, given the number of South African's over the years who have jumped to England, I'd say the priority becomes getting the most out of yourself and that means playing test cricket.

I have a mate who has a UK passport, and he played for Guernsey in the European Championships whilst he was living on the island during a working holiday. Pretty funny. I mean, he's a pretty good club player, but that's all.

I have both Australian and British passports. I've used the British one to work in the EU, however there's no way in hell I could bring myself to represent GB at anything.

I'd qualify for NZ and would happily play for either, really, if it meant I got to play at a higher level.

I suggest most people are the same, especially when you're young you just go where the opportunities are.

Growing up, I wanted to play cricket for Australia. I was never going to be good enough, but as with a lot of kids growing up watching their heroes out on the Adelaide Oval (or whatever your local ground happens to be) I dreamed of one day being out there.

I also have British citizenship, thanks to my mum being Scottish. Until a few years ago, I had never lived in Britain and save for one trip when I was two, I had never really been to England. But if when I was growing up and moving up the ranks of Australian cricket, I had reached a certain point where it was clear I was not going to make the next step up into the Australian team and there was a spot open in the England team, would I have jumped ship and taken it?

Having grown up wanting England beaten at every opportunity, how easy would it be to make that decision? The question that would have to be answered would be do I want to play Test cricket or do I want to play Test cricket for my country? And seeings as I had spent my entire life in Australia, that was my country.

I am not sure, as it would be a very difficult question to answer if you had spent your entire life working towards playing test cricket and here was an opportunity to fulfill that dream.

Anyone else with dual citizenship that would like to weigh in here? What would you do?

....For $500, obscure sportspeople......who is....Sam Hain

Do you think Pieterson and Trott play for "England" or do they play just because it is playing test cricket at the highest international level?

When they pointed their bats at the clubrooms yesterday after making 50's, I was thinking are they pointing to the individual English players, their mates, and acknowledging them? Surely it couldn't be a "this is for England!" salute

Do you think Pieterson and Trott play for "England" or do they play just because it is playing test cricket at the highest international level?

When they pointed their bats at the clubrooms yesterday after making 50's, I was thinking are they pointing to the individual English players, their mates, and acknowledging them? Surely it couldn't be a "this is for England!" salute

Do you think anybone really does that though? Players from all countries do it for themselves and their teammates who they've built a strong connection with.

The point I was making is because of ability, compromised selection criteria, or political reasons, a number of South African cricketers over the years have moved in order to play at the highest level.

Compromised selection is a beat up excuse and South Africa was allowed back in 22 years ago making politics a non-issue for a generation.

They move to England because they think they're more likely to get picked or they'd rather live there. Both fair reasons but Pietersen is a lamo to claim his decision was because of periodic black selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just sport. It's not a noble decision about who you represent. You are not 'Defending Your Country'. If England picked me in their team, I'd be there like a shot. I have no problem with players moving around to get a game. It was rather silly when Australia was top of the heap that players like Stuart Law and Jamie Siddons never got a chance to see if they could play at the top level.

And I would love to see what it was like in the All Black inner sanctum.

Compromised selection is a beat up excuse and South Africa was allowed back in 22 years ago making politics a non-issue for a generation.

They move to England because they think they're more likely to get picked or they'd rather live there. Both fair reasons but Pietersen is a lamo to claim his decision was because of periodic black selections.
You're normally a good poster so don't take this the wrong way but your understanding of South African race (and for that matter gender) issues is insufficient imho.

As for playing for another country, I gave up hope of playing cricket for Australia a loooong time ago. But if my UK passport application goes through, I still reckon there is a 1/1,000,000 chance that my leggies might be good enough for a shock call-up to the English team.

And I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm only 26, how old was Tahir? I still dream of heading over there, playing for some local club for fun, bowling the club captain around his legs a few times in the nets, him saying 'You should train with so and so, I reckon you have potential, I've got a few contacts, I'll set you up', rising through the ranks at so-and-so CC, Swann/Panesar/whoever getting injured at just the right time, and being sent an SOS for the First Test of the 2017 Ashes.

Then either taking a wicket first ball and walking off the ground never to return to Test cricket, or getting spanked to the tune of 0-120 and still bragging to anybody who will listen that 'I got to bowl at Trent Bridge so SMD'.

Just think of Darren Pattinson - is an Aussie, grew up in Australia, happened to be born in England and for some strange reason England picked him. (Maybe to get dibs on James or something?)

You're normally a good poster so don't take this the wrong way but your understanding of South African race (and for that matter gender) issues is insufficient imho.

As for playing for another country, I gave up hope of playing cricket for Australia a loooong time ago. But if my UK passport application goes through, I still reckon there is a 1/1,000,000 chance that my leggies might be good enough for a shock call-up to the English team.

And I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm only 26, how old was Tahir? I still dream of heading over there, playing for some local club for fun, bowling the club captain around his legs a few times in the nets, him saying 'You should train with so and so, I reckon you have potential, I've got a few contacts, I'll set you up', rising through the ranks at so-and-so CC, Swann/Panesar/whoever getting injured at just the right time, and being sent an SOS for the First Test of the 2017 Ashes.

Then either taking a wicket first ball and walking off the ground never to return to Test cricket, or getting spanked to the tune of 0-120 and still bragging to anybody who will listen that 'I got to bowl at Trent Bridge so SMD'.
I'd say given the Ashes result and the depth in county cricket, you're probably more of a shot to play for Australia right now.

i couldn't play for the poms, but if i could get a gig in NZ, or even in the OD's in Netherlands etc,. I'd be all over it. coincidentally my aim will be to be living in the netherlands by around september next year, but my cricketing days are long gone and even if they weren't both my shoulders feel like they could go flying out of their sockets at any given moment.

Hard to say. If you are eligible to play for either country and couldnt make it in one but the other is offering a contract that can set you up for life doing something you love. I would do it! Obviously you would have a preference but if you are not a superstar, you cant be picky!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back