List Mgmt. Playing Langdon (and even Ballantyne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It seems most people have resigned to Ed Langdon going back to Melbourne, maybe to Collingwood to go play with his brother.

Can someone please tell me why we are continuing to play someone who won't be here next season? I understand that there aren't many guys pushing for spots, but surely Deluca is even worth an attempt. Morabito. There are people who are also unlikely to be at Fremantle (well, in the AFL at all) next year, but playing them, we're offering absolute certainty on knowing they don't deserve another contract.

I remember when it was rumoured that Rhys Palmer was off, and buggalugs was getting some s**t over whether or not Palmer should have still been getting games.

Ballas can also go into this basket as well. In fact, there is almost nothing to gain with him – he will probably go to the Eagles, but even if he stays on our list, he doesn't really deserve a game seeing as where he and us are at.

To me these selections epitomise time wasting.

Even if you want to compare Langdon to Palmer the situation is not the same as Palmer was known to be going and we would be compensated regardless of whether we played him or not. Langdon going is unknown and if he does the value will get will be based on exposed AFL form.... simples.

Really happy for Langdon to keep playing. It is more likely he has told the club that he will make up his mind at the end of the year, if Ballas leaves he just might be offered a significant increase and long term contract that may convince him to stay - people change their minds and he is unlikely to be guaranteed games at Hawthorn or Collingwood (like his brother).

Ballas manager is playing the game and there is a lot to play out on that yet. I don't agree but you never know maybe the club will change their position and give him the 3 years. Happy for them both to continue and DeLuca is not getting a game because he is simply not AFL standard.

Didn't the AFL say they were monitoring our selections every week to make sure we weren't tanking.. or something?

It seems most people have resigned to Ed Langdon going back to Melbourne, maybe to Collingwood to go play with his brother.

Can someone please tell me why we are continuing to play someone who won't be here next season? I understand that there aren't many guys pushing for spots, but surely Deluca is even worth an attempt. Morabito. There are people who are also unlikely to be at Fremantle (well, in the AFL at all) next year, but playing them, we're offering absolute certainty on knowing they don't deserve another contract.

I remember when it was rumoured that Rhys Palmer was off, and buggalugs was getting some s**t over whether or not Palmer should have still been getting games.

Ballas can also go into this basket as well. In fact, there is almost nothing to gain with him – he will probably go to the Eagles, but even if he stays on our list, he doesn't really deserve a game seeing as where he and us are at.

Ed any chance for the Rising Star award this week? Good numbers in a heavy loss, was one of our best avenues of attack.
Has put together a pretty solid month, so if he is moving on, would think playing him has significantly increased any value he would have had if he'd just been playing WAFL. I'm not convinced he is moving on, disappointed if he does.

Ballas is no certainty to leave and Langdon is gaining currency

Deluca isn't in the same class bracket and struggles at wafl level so why gift him a game because of rumours on Langdon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're playing them because it's their job to play. They're paid to play. They're in our best team. I know we're not actually winning, but we still have to put the best team out there. Players could change their mind, or trades might not happen, and then you end up with a McCarthy situation.

I cant shake the fact that ross keeps mentioning Langdon. Now thats either coz hes trying to convince him to stay, or he is confident that he will.

Dont mind langdon playing even he is going.

Were you aware that Ballas has the same Manager as Can McCarthy. I would say he is testing the waters to see if he can get the best out of Freo for his client and that would be the 3 year contract. No-one will give a 29 year old who hasn't done much the last 2 years a 3 year contract. Ross has expressed his views about Mora and Deluca over the weekend so your wasting your time suggesting anything to the contrary.

So we shouldn't be playing Langdon, Ballantyne, de Boer, Ibbotson Mayne or Clarke either? And Pavlich won't be here next season. Bring in players like Hughes, Nyhuis and Deluca. Wow.

I prefer the strategy where we play basically the best available with an eye towards giving youth an opportunity, and see what actually comes to pass during the off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back