List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
Can we delist L. Taylor and S. Grey?
L. Taylor is here for another 3 years, Grey for 2, and both can't get a game.

Foot and Wicks have been more exciting...

These list questions are going to be so hard to make, have a lot of kids that deserve a few more years on a list that won't get that chance.

Can we delist L. Taylor and S. Grey?
L. Taylor is here for another 3 years, Grey for 2, and both can't get a game.

Foot and Wicks have been more exciting...

These list questions are going to be so hard to make, have a lot of kids that deserve a few more years on a list that won't get that chance.

Inevitably some promising kids will be cut.

McLean, Wicks and Foot I hope are the priorities.

Re McLean (I am prepared to be shot down here), I am not sure whether he is going to be quick/agile enough to forge a long AFL career.

Too short to be a ruckman (and not particularly outstanding agility to overcome that). He is a good mark without being outstanding. Isn’t particularly quick across the ground and turning circle shows his lack of agility. Potentially could be exposed defensively. I am also not sure whether will have huge amounts of improvement in him.

Certainly an old fashioned footballer that in a different era would be totally different. He is a competitor, will that will be enough?

I’d still give him a contact as I think he can provide an honest account of himself at AFL level (and we are not blessed with a heap of competitive talls) but beyond that I am not yet convinced of his long term potential as an AFL footballer.

*ducks*

Re McLean (I am prepared to be shot down here), I am not sure whether he is going to be quick/agile enough to forge a long AFL career.

Too short to be a ruckman (and not particularly outstanding agility to overcome that). He is a good mark without being outstanding. Isn’t particularly quick across the ground and turning circle shows his lack of agility. Potentially could be exposed defensively. I am also not sure whether will have huge amounts of improvement in him.

Certainly an old fashioned footballer that in a different era would be totally different. He is a competitor, will that will be enough?

I’d still give him a contact as I think he can provide an honest account of himself at AFL level (and we are not blessed with a heap of competitive talls) but beyond that I am not yet convinced of his long term potential as an AFL footballer.

*ducks*
Ruckmen tend to take a long time to develop. At 21 he's leaps ahead of other rucks at the same stage of their careers. He definitely is short for a modern ruck which will hinder him but if he can put on a bit more bulk he'll be more than handy.

He is 1cm shorter than Mumford who has won a good number of hitouts

Ruckmen tend to take a long time to develop. At 21 he's leaps ahead of other rucks at the same stage of their careers. He definitely is short for a modern ruck which will hinder him but if he can put on a bit more bulk he'll be more than handy.

He is 1cm shorter than Mumford who has won a good number of hitouts

Yeah i think the key for him is to improve his ruck work and his fitness so he can compete against the harder running rucks. If he can do that I think his forward work will take care of itself and will help our structures while having the ability to kick a few every so often.

*ducks*
Agree,, love his effort, competitiveness, Toughness.. but think he will struggle to be best 22. A good player to have in the best 30, but a lot of talls these days are much more agile.

*ducks*

I don't think you deserve to be shot down. There are a bunch of players on the list who have shown us they are willing to compete - I'm thinking the likes of McLean, Wicks, Bell, Ling, McInerney, Foot - but who you would still have to have doubts about in terms of having enough quality (be it a skills, speed, decision making....) to forge a long term AFL career. All of them are still young enough that I think we should persist with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*ducks*

You don't need to duck. Call it as you see it Masey you are one of the more reasonable folks on here.

Just don't agree with you at all on this one :p

I don't think you deserve to be shot down. There are a bunch of players on the list who have shown us they are willing to compete - I'm thinking the likes of McLean, Wicks, Bell, Ling, McInerney, Foot - but who you would still have to have doubts about in terms of having enough quality (be it a skills, speed, decision making....) to forge a long term AFL career. All of them are still young enough that I think we should persist with them.
Absolutely.. I like all those players and respect the work they've put in, but fear not all will be here next year (could be wrong) It was interesting listen to Swans v GWS.. GWS rely on natural ability, Swans work hard.. Theres a big difference there. And all the above players seem to work their asses off.

Im hoping for list sizes to 'look different' as has been said by officials
30-35 on the senior list that get paid out of the (reduced) salary cap
10-15 on a rookie / 2nds list that get paid some other way - probably not much.
We still need to field a reserve team, so still need 45 on the list (ideally 50)

Re McLean - I see his attributes as good footy IQ, safe in the air, good below his knees with contested ball, fair kick for a big bloke and above all fierce determination.

Maybe his future is as a Fwd/Ruck that does not take centre bounces. Seems to be the Club's thinking. I would like to see him trialled as a KPD.

Re McLean - I see his attributes as good footy IQ, safe in the air, good below his knees with contested ball, fair kick for a big bloke and above all fierce determination.

Maybe his future is as a Fwd/Ruck that does not take centre bounces. Seems to be the Club's thinking. I would like to see him trialled as a KPD.
Like the KPD notion. He has a fair serve of mongrel and is very strong. Reaction speed and judgement may be issues (as with Melican).

Nobody knows yet. No announcements that I’ve seen at this stage.

Given some teams are running injuries into the teens it may be difficult for the AFL to cut back the lists to these levels (35 total).
I can see why list numbers need to be reduced. The AFL is likely to be at least $600 million in debt.
The four clubs most impacted by this will be Swans, Giants, Lions and Suns. The others are all underpinned by strong leagues they can draw on.
The NFL teams have a main list of approx 53 and a secondary list (ie reserves) where players can be promoted from.
The AFL needs to take a close look at this and other systems. Perhaps those 4 teams need to be able to run fully fledged Reserves teams, unlike Vic, SA and WA who can draw on their local comps.
There will be a lot of pressure on the AFL from legacy states to let us sink.
Interesting times.

I'd definitely agree with trialling him as a KPD. At the very least I'd like to see us try McCartin and McLean down there for a couple of games, then whoever performs the best out of those two get an extended run down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back