List Mgmt. Playing List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

robbieando

Oct 9, 2001
Spitting Bars
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 08-APR-2021)

36 players Senior Listed and 7 players Rookie Listed (5 Cat A players and 2 Cat B players)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up by as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four-to-six Category A rookies and two Category B rookies.

Contract Expires - 2021:
Joel Amartey
James Bell
Kaiden Brand
Malachy Carruthers (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Ryan Clarke
Jordan Dawson
Robbie Fox (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
William Gould
Sam Gray (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
George Hewett
Josh Kennedy
Matthew Ling
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Barry O'Connor (Cat B Rookie - International)
Colin O'Riordan
Luke Parker
Sam Reid
Ben Ronke
Marc Sheather (Cat B Rookie - 1st Year)
Callum Sinclair
Dylan Stephens
Sam Wicks (Cat A Rookie - 1st Year)

Contract Expires - 2022:
Braeden Campbell
Harry Cunningham
Oliver Florent
Lance Franklin
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Jake Lloyd
Logan McDonald
Justin McInerney
Sam Naismith
Dane Rampe
Lewis Taylor

Contract Expires - 2023:
Tom Hickey
Lewis Melican
Callum Mills
Tom Papley
Chad Warner
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2024:
Nick Blakey
Will Hayward
James Rowbottom

Last edited:

BloodySwan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm not even a massive Naismith fan and even I can see this extension makes sense. Sinclair is most likely done at the end of this year. We can't just assume that we'll find another ruck solution like Hickey during this year's trade period. So retain the other ruckman on the list for another year, and give ourselves some breathing room. It's only one year and he would be on SFA $-wise having played under 30 games. It's a low-risk, high-reward re-signing.
No point in signing him now compared to the end of the year after he's proven himself for this season. Can't imagine many clubs were chasing to steal him from us. It's a risk which wasn't necessary.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
No point in signing him now compared to the end of the year after he's proven himself for this season. Can't imagine many clubs were chasing to steal him from us. It's a risk which wasn't necessary.
I dunno... Rucks are always in-demand. We gave up a highly-rated, contracted key defender to secure a second-rate has-been at his fourth club. (Little did we know how good he would be!)

I think any uncontracted ruckman this year, no matter how good or bad, proven or unproven they may be, will be a hot commodity during the trade period.

Slingshot Footy

Debutant
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
At least he's in full swing now with a return to full training this week. He's much further ahead than he was last ACL too so when required he can actually give Hickey a spell when it suits the team. Naismith mightn't suit our new fast paced game style, especially with two major surgeries now under his belt, but his job at the start and end of the day is to give first supply to our mids and he's very good at that when fit.

SGBeach

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
At least he's in full swing now with a return to full training this week. He's much further ahead than he was last ACL too so when required he can actually give Hickey a spell when it suits the team. Naismith mightn't suit our new fast paced game style, especially with two major surgeries now under his belt, but his job at the start and end of the day is to give first supply to our mids and he's very good at that when fit.
Yep,, Ruck depth is important as The Suns are realising and as we found out last year (and the year before)
Sinkers likely to retire, leaving us with
- Hickey - good
- Naismith - good
- McLean - big heart but unfortunately the rest of his body isn't big enough to be a good ruck
- Amartey - hmmm????

rustycrate

Team Captain
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Stephens is a huge risk & one we might regret for a decade if he goes.
I do not get all this if they do not play play they are a risk of flight back home. Paranoia. This is the most exciting team since the 1993 Bombers and people are posting this sh*t. Please leave it alone. It does not deserve a place to be posted when this side is playing the style of football that it does and keeps winning in such great style. If you were a fringe player of Stephens ability, would you leave? Leave it alone this year please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grand Uncle Horace

Brownlow Medallist
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney
I do not get all this if they do not play play they are a risk of flight back home. Paranoia. This is the most exciting team since the 1993 Bombers and people are posting this sh*t. Please leave it alone. It does not deserve a place to be posted when this side is playing the style of football that it does and keeps winning in such great style. If you were a fringe player of Stephens ability, would you leave? Leave it alone this year please.
The kid is a gun.

Dubai Quacker

Club Legend
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
AFL players want to play AFL football.

You honestly believe that the Crows offering a slab of money & best 22 status wouldn't be tempting to a young bloke from Adelaide?

Angry Red Bull

Club Legend
Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Stephens is a huge risk & one we might regret for a decade if he goes.
I want Stephens. But we should also preserve the integrity of the selection process. These kids that have been selected are performing and deserve their place. How can it be justified to bring in Stephens in this situation? if we don't then he may walk through lack of opportunity. lose lose scenario.

Does anyone know why he wasn't selected? Is there some perceived weakness eg too light?

rustycrate

Team Captain
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
AFL players want to play AFL football.

You honestly believe that the Crows offering a slab of money & best 22 status wouldn't be tempting to a young bloke from Adelaide?
They can bid all they want. All that happens is we weigh up that decision. So does the player. You think Stephens would walk to the Crows for a few dollars. In my world its is a no. In your mind maybe a yes. What I do not get is why be paranoid about something that is not likely.

Dubai Quacker

Club Legend
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I want Stephens. But we should also preserve the integrity of the selection process. These kids that have been selected are performing and deserve their place. How can it be justified to bring in Stephens in this situation? if we don't then he may walk through lack of opportunity. lose lose scenario.

Does anyone know why he wasn't selected? Is there some perceived weakness eg too light?
He suffered a concussion prior to round 1 & hence wasn't selected. After that - pretty hard to justify dropping anyone!

He's a lightly framed kid who has elite endurance and solid skills (he didn't go at pick 5 for nothing). We'd be kidding ourselves if we thought other clubs didn't see the longer term potential.

Remove this Banner Ad