List Mgmt. Playing List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

robbieando

Oct 9, 2001
Spitting Bars
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 28-NOV-2021)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four-to-six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

1638278388826.png

Contract Expires - 2022:
James Bell
Ryan Clarke
Harry Cunningham
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lance Franklin
William Gould
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Josh Kennedy
Jake Lloyd
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Logan McDonald
Justin McInerney
Sam Naismith
Barry O'Connor (Cat B Rookie - International)
Colin O'Riordan
Dane Rampe
Sam Reid
Ben Ronke
Callum Sinclair
Lewis Taylor (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)

Contract Expires - 2023:
Joel Amartey
Tom Hickey
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean (Cat A Rookie 4th Year)
Lewis Melican
Callum Mills
Tom Papley
Matthew Roberts
Lachlan Rankin
Marc Sheather (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Angus Sheldrick
Dylan Stephens
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2024:
Nick Blakey
Will Hayward
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Peter Ladhams
Luke Parker

Credit to rustycrate for the spreadsheet

Last edited:

TheMase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I didn't think you could move a listed player to the rookie list. I might be wrong again. I thought the rules changed last year just for last year.
Sorta right :)

But the rule that allowed clubs to move primary-listed players to the rookie list between the first and second list lodgment periods to open up senior spots will not be permitted this off-season.

In a memo to clubs, the AFL said that there is "no forecast changes to list sizes for 2022" and that the one-off rule was brought in last season due to the changes that came late in the piece with list sizes and structures.

They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022.

Not sure if that helps us. Pretty sure we have delisted a contracted player before as well and picked them up in the rookie draft with no issues. I can’t recall who it was.

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

But the rule that allowed clubs to move primary-listed players to the rookie list between the first and second list lodgment periods to open up senior spots will not be permitted this off-season.

In a memo to clubs, the AFL said that there is "no forecast changes to list sizes for 2022" and that the one-off rule was brought in last season due to the changes that came late in the piece with list sizes and structures.

They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022.

Not sure if that helps us. Pretty sure we have delisted a contracted player before as well and picked them up in the rookie draft with no issues. I can’t recall who it was.
I didn't know the rule was extended to this year as well. The player was Fox.:)

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
The rule is slightly different as to when you can do it.
I remember Fox, wasn’t him. But I remembered, it was Tippett!
I'm a bit confused with the rule and how it applies to the this year.
I read the statement from the AFL and it is very ambiguous.

Can we move a player from the main list to the rookie list. If so wich players and why why not. hehe. It's confusing.:)

BloodySwan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

So we have someone like Naismith and Taylor stay on our senior list, move them to a rookie spot and pick up a DFA. Not sure I understand the sense in it from the AFL.....

robbieando

Oct 9, 2001
Spitting Bars
AFL Club
Sydney
So we have someone like Naismith and Taylor stay on our senior list, move them to a rookie spot and pick up a DFA. Not sure I understand the sense in it from the AFL.....
No point in putting Naismith on the rookie list as we can put him on the long term injury list in the new year which then allows us to either sign another rookie player during the Supplementary Signing Period or keep the spot available to get a pick for the mid season draft.

Last year was a one off as the list sizes were cut with short notice. This rule was changed to allow clubs to move players both contracted and out of contract to the rookie list without having to first expose all players involved to both the National Draft and then requiring to be selected in the Rookie Draft. This rule change also enabled clubs to open up enough senior list spots to be able to make selections in the National Draft.

This will just delay the process that was only going to be for a small handful of players in any case. I suspect we won’t even make use of it.

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Sometimes success is your worst enemy. The Gould's point of view.

Take our defense.
Rampe, Lloyd and Cunningham almost never lose games to injury.
How is a guy like Gould to ever get a debut let alone successive games under his belt.

I don't think how ever hard he plays in the two's that he will get a game over those 3.

Kiama Chris

Club Legend
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

Take our defense.
How is a guy like Gould to ever get a debut let alone successive games under his belt.

I don't think how ever hard he plays in the two's that he will get a game over those 3.
And McCartin as well.
He's also a bit of a victim of our changed approach from the back. He, Melican, O'Connor and O'Riordan are more traditional type medium defenders. We have been using Blakey and McInerney, even Campbell, who are very different.
It would be great if he and O'Connor developed enough to be KPDs after a fashion. Both over 190.
I have no faith in Melican settling in to that role. O'Riordan and Fox are good honest toilers but not KPDs, but probably still ahead of Gould.

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
And McCartin as well.
He's also a bit of a victim of our changed approach from the back. He, Melican, O'Connor and O'Riordan are more traditional type medium defenders. We have been using Blakey and McInerney, even Campbell, who are very different.
It would be great if he and O'Connor developed enough to be KPDs after a fashion. Both over 190.
I have no faith in Melican settling in to that role. O'Riordan and Fox are good honest toilers but not KPDs, but probably still ahead of Gould.
I agree. There is a serious gap in our defence age wise.

Rampe(32)
Cunningham(29)
Lloyd(29)
thats only the medium guys

Then the backup
We have Gould(21)
We have ORiorian(28)
We have Fox(29)

Grand Uncle Horace

Hall of Famer
May 24, 2017
Old South Grandstand
AFL Club
Sydney

Take our defense.

I have not seen a scintilla of evidence in watching the Ressies - and yep, I accept Covid has stuffed development up - that Gould looks like an AFL player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ticky009

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Updated Contracts for Reid, Ronke, O'Connor

SGBeach

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Reid ronke bell Naismith Taylor Clarke

Maybe Sinclair

All paid to be fu**en list cloggers
Depth !
likely on bugger all cash... and all out of contract in 2022 - heaps better than trading Clarke and Taylor for three years; Grey and Brand for two years.
We're drafting / developing our own depth these days, which is heaps cheaper and with far less commitment.

hairy biker

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

No Swans players mentioned on the list of rookies to be upgraded at the national draft.

Multiple clubs have made the call to upgrade players from their rookie list, moves that will be finalised at the upcoming National Draft.
The AFL released their first list lodgement update on Thursday, confirming the changes to each side’s primary list, both from trade period additions and rookie list upgrades.
Contracted players for 2022 that were rookies at the start of 2021;
Fox, O'Connor, McLean, Sheather and Wicks.

I think it's generally been assumed that the last 3 have been upgraded to the senior list, but I don't recall seeing official confirmation and I couldn't see it mentioned when their re-signings were announced.

Charlie Gardiner has said we are likely to take 3 or 4 ND selections, so unless we still have an interest in a free agent or are keeping spots open for the supplementary drat etc I'm not sure why McLean, Sheather and Wicks aren't on the main list (if in fact they are not).

Of course it may just be a timing issue as there is still opportunity to add them.

It would also be handy (and professional) if the AFL actually put out more information on list make-ups.
Info should be on AFL website, not having to read SEN's site, for the limited info available.

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

No Swans players mentioned on the list of rookies to be upgraded at the national draft.

Contracted players for 2022 that were rookies at the start of 2021;
Fox, O'Connor, McLean, Sheather and Wicks.

I think it's generally been assumed that the last 3 have been upgraded to the senior list, but I don't recall seeing official confirmation and I couldn't see it mentioned when their re-signings were announced.

Charlie Gardiner has said we are likely to take 3 or 4 ND selections, so unless we still have an interest in a free agent or are keeping spots open for the supplementary drat etc I'm not sure why McLean, Sheather and Wicks aren't on the main list (if in fact they are not).

Of course it may just be a timing issue as there is still opportunity to add them.

It would also be handy (and professional) if the AFL actually put out more information on list make-ups.
Info should be on AFL website, not having to read SEN's site, for the limited info available.
I agree HB.

I get my guaranteed info from Bigfooty. How funny is that. The most trusted information that I have.

1636085980930.png

Bell's official puff piece on Swans website says he is in next year but no official confirmation. Still no word on Clarke and Bell but assume they are contracted unless they are not.

Hey Charlie is it 3 (Clarke is in) or is it 4 (Clarke is gone).

Last edited:

robbieando

Oct 9, 2001
Spitting Bars
AFL Club
Sydney
James Bell was at training today so that confirms that there was a trigger clause in his contract that he met and is now included in the group of 2022 player re-signings.

The Final release of our draft picks for this week (6 picks that make up the remaining list spots) makes me think that Ryan Clarke also has a contract for next year but no sign that he was at training so no movement to remove him from the unsigned list just yet.

We should use 3 National Draft selections and then 3 Rookie Draft selections (one which will be used to re-draft Lewis Taylor).

This is the safest I can say that we will run with a 38 man Senior List.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad