List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
Jones only one year to go and an age where he might think to move. Hope we look after him this year. Give him some more midfield time and encourage his leadership. I'd hate to see him off to join his brother next year. He's a key part of our future.
I agree but I can't see how Melbourne could accommodate him now. Their cap is full

I agree but I can't see how Melbourne could accommodate him now. Their cap is full
Agree.
Cap space appears to has done a complete 360° now and suddenly we are the ones with the room to spare, so if he gets his midfield time and we want to keep him, I don't think we have too much to worry about.

Jones only one year to go and an age where he might think to move. Hope we look after him this year. Give him some more midfield time and encourage his leadership. I'd hate to see him off to join his brother next year. He's a key part of our future.

On the contrary I think it's Jones that needs to step up.

I want him at Sydney, don't get me wrong, but I think he's capable of a lot more than he's given to this point.

But he needs to improve his discipline. Both from his pugnacious affect and his ball use. He hangs on to the ball too long too often and does it in a way that he can't easily dispose of it when caught.

If he doesn't, pick (say) 12 is a reasonable return.

I want him at Sydney, don't get me wrong, but I think he's capable of a lot more than he's given to this point.

But he needs to improve his discipline. Both from his pugnacious affect and his ball use. He hangs on to the ball too long too often and does it in a way that he can't easily dispose of it when caught.

Here what your saying but Mitchell got us 14. Would get around 20 for Jones if were lucky

Jones has only ever done short extensions. Wouldn't be surprised if the Swans can only get him on 2-3 years on the next one if he signs.

Agree with that. I commented earlier about his lack of awareness. His running play is too predictable. Jack could teach him a thing or two.

Just a quick question, is Ronke still on the rookie list or has he officially been upgraded to the senior list?
I noticed that Robbie Fox has been upgraded but there has been no mention of Ronke. I would have thought after the season he just had that it would have been a no brainer for him to be upgraded.
It does sound like he's still a rookie, yeah. Which is weird given that Fox was upgraded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Signed a 2 year contract extension earlier this year. I think that automatically puts him on the senior list

It doesn't
One example is the Lions McInerney, signed till 2021 but wasn't upgraded to the seniors following this season
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/oscar-mcinerney-2016.1153346/page-2

Thought for sure Ronke would be upgraded tho!
That rule about only one 3 year rookie must still be in play.

He’s signed to 2020, that makes 4 years...he’s no rookie!

http://afl.com.au/news/2018-06-06/swans-lock-in-one-of-their-emerging-stars

Last edited:
Yes, he is.

If you want to come correct me I'd gladly take a look at your source.

Don't know what relevance the Ronke article has.
No, as a Category A rookie, you may only remain a rookie for a maximum 3 years under AFL rules (go read them, it’s in there). You cannot sign a rookie contract and a Primary list contract in the one contract, you are either a rookie or a senior list player. 2019 will be year 3, 2020 year 4.

No, as a Category A rookie, you may only remain a rookie for a maximum 3 years under AFL rules (go read them, it’s in there). You cannot sign a rookie contract and a Primary list contract in the one contract, you are either a rookie or a senior list player. 2019 will be year 3, 2020 year 4.

None of that is news to me and I don't know why you wrote it up.
You can't be on the rookie list and senior list at the same time. obviously. But nothing stopping a rookie list contract that leads into a senior list spot.

You claimed I'm wrong about Mcinerney being a rookie.
Without any citation..
Which won't be possible..bcos he is, in fact, a rookie.

None of that is news to me and I don't know why you wrote it up.
You can't be on the rookie list and senior list at the same time. obviously. But nothing stopping a rookie list contract that leads into a senior list spot.

You claimed I'm wrong about Mcinerney being a rookie.
Without any citation..
Which won't be possible..bcos he is, in fact, a rookie.
No, you can’t be signed as a 3rd year rookie and a 4th year senior within the one contract. It’s why they have individual contracts

No I did not quote McInerny, I quoted Ronke.

Are you going to cry again because I don’t agree with you and sook to the mods like last time?

And what the * is bcos?

No, you can’t be signed as a 3rd year rookie and a 4th year senior within the one contract. It’s why they have individual contracts

No I did not quote McInerny, I quoted Ronke.

Are you going to cry again because I don’t agree with you and sook to the mods like last time?

And what the **** is bcos?

Wow. You are right off.

You quoted my post that was mainly about McInerney. You made it ambiguous.

If you we're talking about Ronke then are you trying to say he isn't a rookie tho he is also?

And again, yes, you can sign a contract that by number of years, exceeds the time the player will be on the rookie list.

Amartey
Pink
Tippett
Tucker
Reynolds
Wow. You are right off.

You quoted my post that was mainly about McInerney. You made it ambiguous.

If you we're talking about Ronke then are you trying to say he isn't a rookie tho he is also?

And again, yes, you can sign a contract that by number of years, exceeds the time the player will be on the rookie list.
No you can’t, they have to be individual contracts. That’s why there are rookie contracts and primary list contracts...different paper, different clauses, different terms...just different!

A two year deal is a 2 year deal, not a 1 year deal as a rookie and a 1 year deal as a primary list player.

Go back and show me once where I mentioned McInerney, except when responding to your quote (I don’t know why I bother though). You just like to read magical stories, make s**t up and believe them.

Amartey
Pink
Tippett
Tucker
Reynolds

what about them?
thats not the full rookie list..?

No you can’t, they have to be individual contracts. That’s why there are rookie contracts and primary list contracts...different paper, different clauses, different terms...just different!

A two year deal is a 2 year deal, not a 1 year deal as a rookie and a 1 year deal as a primary list player.

hmmm, so you must be really confused about both Ronke and Mcinerney being examples of just that

Go back and show me once where I mentioned McInerney, except when responding to your quote (I don’t know why I bother though). You just like to read magical stories, make s**t up and believe them.

very funny, very cool

what about them?
thats not the full rookie list..?

hmmm, so you must be really confused about both Ronke and Mcinerney being examples of just that

very funny, very cool

I tell you what I’ll do, I’ll be the bigger man and walk away from this conversation, not because I’m defeated but because I’m dealing with a sook, someone that cries to the mods, someone that got me a ban once because they don’t like bad words. I’m not going to deal with a foreign legion old guy like yourself anymore. Unless you’d like to catch up for coffee to continue the discussion, that would cool, funny even?

The view towards contracts and the rookie list could have changed somewhat.

Previously if you were on the rookie list you had to be promoted to play a senior game.

Now for Cat A rookies that has changed.

If you were to sign a “rookie contract” before you were consigning yourself to needing outside influence to play senior football. Now you can just play if selected.

Therefore Ronke could well have signed a 2 year contract with whatever wage conditions, provided they meet the AFL minimum. To Ronke it is somewhat immaterial which list he is on because he can play anyway. For the Swans, there are salary cap benefits of having a player who will otherwise play senior football listed on the rookie list.

For the 4th year he won’t be able to be listed on the rookie list anymore due to rules preventing that, so a senior spot will need to be freed up for him, however given the playing ability of a rookie has changed, it may well now be possible to have a contract that allows a player to transition between the rookie and senior list at the appropriate time as from Ronkes position, there isn’t much difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back