List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
Is He? Im not doubting you, I just dont understand how? He's only been here 1 year
haha..

Free Agency is portable. So once you become a Free Agent once, you have it for life regardless if you move clubs

I was planning Menzal and our 2nd for Martin. Thought he'd fit well at the Goldcoast

Gold Coast would never accept that.

Free Agency is portable. So once you become a Free Agent once, you have it for life regardless if you move clubs

Cheers for the update on Free Agency
Martins worth a late first round pick, think he was dropped a couple of weeks ago, he wants out. He'd be replaced by Menzal (who's head would fit well up there) and an early second round pick.. maybe I'm dreaming???

I have serious doubt about your free agency comment. That means that every single player who has played 8 years at a club becomes a free agent for the remainder of his AFL life. Don't think so.
If you look at the AFL listing of 2019 free agents, Menzel is not shown as one.

I have serious doubt about your free agency comment. That means that every single player who has played 8 years at a club becomes a free agent for the remainder of his AFL life. Don't think so.
I'm sure I have seen that rule somewhere. And perhaps were all wrong in assuming Dan only had a 1 year contract or he met a trigger clause or the club already re-signed him

Here is a link to the rule.

Under new rules, a player who previously moved as a free agent, is coming out of contract and has not been at their new club for eight years now qualifies for unrestricted free agency.

This accounts for any player who has crossed as a restricted, unrestricted and delisted free agents, with former listed players picked up in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft also qualifying.

Players delisted from senior lists and retained as rookies also are included.

Maybe the list you were looking at was out of date. But the list I have shows Menzel on it and the rule explained in detail. So doubt no more.

It was one of three options the AFL had to pick from to change the way free agency works under the CBA reached in 2017. Took longer than it should've as well.

These details have been on the front page of this thread for nearly 2 years now.

Here is a link to the rule.

Maybe the list you were looking at was out of date. But the list I have shows Menzel on it and the rule explained in detail. So doubt no more.

It was one of three options the AFL had to pick from to change the way free agency works under the CBA reached in 2017. Took longer than it should've as well.

These details have been on the front page of this thread for nearly 2 years now.
Well, my apologies. It seems that you are correct.
Personally, I think this is a silly rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey folks

Over the past 12 months I've become more and more interested in the list analysis side of the game, list balances etc. thanks largely to the lads from Lystics AFL in particular around the contract time when calls are made to re-sign, trade or de-list.

As always I'm very appreciative and open to feedback, whether positive or critical and love to engage in conversation about it.

I've still got a number of guys O.O.C according to Footywire and the recent article on afl.com however if any information is wrong feel free to pull me up.

Here's my thoughts anyway:

RE-SIGN: Clarke, Thurlow, Maibaum, Tucker, Bell, McLean, Amartey, Knoll, Jones*

No real stars that need long term contract extension here. Clarke and Thurlow post McVeigh, Smith and possibly Jones are still important cogs to the overall team.

My gut feel on Thurlow is he can become a lock down back in the mould of Smith where he nullifies the best opposition small forward where Clarke can hopefully bring some drive and run.

Tucker's first rookie year has been cut down by injury so give him a chance as a re-rookie. Bell is deserving of a contract extension also.

McLean, Amartey and Knoll are longer term selections in the tall department. Gone with re-signing of Knoll instead of Darcy Cameron.

TRADE: Jones, Cameron

Interest again as he is out of contract and there are a number of teams in Victoria who could use him. Think his current trade value is high but if he wants to re-sign again you lock him away on a longer term deal.

Cameron - Again someone with some value at the trade table. More valuable to you at the trade table than behind Sinclair, Naismith and Knoll.

DE-LIST: Fox, Pink, Rose, Menzel

Fox and Pink I'd move on as I can;t see them being part of the next charge.

There is maybe room for one of Rose and Menzel but not both anymore. Menzel is the really devastating story, from a neutral observer his forward craft and nous is very high. Can kick bags and if given an injury free run has all the traits to be a 40 goal a year forward but his career has just been cut short by regular injury.

Rose you could get a later pick trade back to SA with the Power and Crows maybe in the market for medium / smaller forwards.

Hey folks

Over the past 12 months I've become more and more interested in the list analysis side of the game, list balances etc. thanks largely to the lads from Lystics AFL in particular around the contract time when calls are made to re-sign, trade or de-list.

As always I'm very appreciative and open to feedback, whether positive or critical and love to engage in conversation about it.

I've still got a number of guys O.O.C according to Footywire and the recent article on afl.com however if any information is wrong feel free to pull me up.

Here's my thoughts anyway:

RE-SIGN: Clarke, Thurlow, Maibaum, Tucker, Bell, McLean, Amartey, Knoll, Jones*

No real stars that need long term contract extension here. Clarke and Thurlow post McVeigh, Smith and possibly Jones are still important cogs to the overall team.

My gut feel on Thurlow is he can become a lock down back in the mould of Smith where he nullifies the best opposition small forward where Clarke can hopefully bring some drive and run.

Tucker's first rookie year has been cut down by injury so give him a chance as a re-rookie. Bell is deserving of a contract extension also.

McLean, Amartey and Knoll are longer term selections in the tall department. Gone with re-signing of Knoll instead of Darcy Cameron.

TRADE: Jones, Cameron

Interest again as he is out of contract and there are a number of teams in Victoria who could use him. Think his current trade value is high but if he wants to re-sign again you lock him away on a longer term deal.

Cameron - Again someone with some value at the trade table. More valuable to you at the trade table than behind Sinclair, Naismith and Knoll.

DE-LIST: Fox, Pink, Rose, Menzel

Fox and Pink I'd move on as I can;t see them being part of the next charge.

There is maybe room for one of Rose and Menzel but not both anymore. Menzel is the really devastating story, from a neutral observer his forward craft and nous is very high. Can kick bags and if given an injury free run has all the traits to be a 40 goal a year forward but his career has just been cut short by regular injury.

Rose you could get a later pick trade back to SA with the Power and Crows maybe in the market for medium / smaller forwards.

Footywire isn't up to date with us.

Use the opening post of this thread. Also has available list spots as well (4 senior list spots and 1 rookie list spot)

So (hypothetically) if we trade out Cameron and Jones (for picks) and delist Menzel and Rose, that leaves 8 senior spots?

Correct

Upgrade McLean, Bell, and Wicks, that leaves 5, with 4 rookie spots.

Am I starting to get it?

Correct for the amount of senior spots. But we would only have 2 Cat B rookie spots open.

We would need to cut more rookies to be able to add to our Cat A Rookie list as we currently have 7 still on the list and McLean is the only one proposed that would free up a spot. We'll cut more.

Correct

Correct for the amount of senior spots. But we would only have 2 Cat B rookie spots open.

We would need to cut more rookies to be able to add to our Cat A Rookie list as we currently have 7 still on the list and McLean is the only one proposed that would free up a spot. We'll cut more.

Tucker, Reynolds, Pink, Knoll, Hirst, Amartey.

Reckon they'll need to hang on to Knoll, or at least replace him with similar.

They seem to like Tucker and Reynolds.

Doesn't look good for Pink and Amartey unless one gets upgraded. Pink might but only if they delist Maibaum.

ok send me the invoice
I agree we should find a better option if we can but I think we'd be better off keeping Naismith if Moore goes. Sam showed something before his injuries. I'd like to see him paired up with a better ruck with Sinkers as a backup. Two rucks usually means they try harder.

For the first time in many years that I can think of, our list management in regards to who is signed and length of contract looks logical finally!

It wasnt that long ago we had kjack and hanners on long term deals spudding it up for us. Not sure if its Dalrymple's influence but our list is taking much better shape nowadays.

Not sure if its Dalrymple's influence but our list is taking much better shape nowadays.

Beatson being promoted to the title of general manager of list strategy and recruiting to cater for the arrival of Dalrymple indicates that Beatson is focusing more time on the list than Dalrymple is. But just his hiring alone allows more focus on the list moving forward without giving up any focus on recruiting quality at the same time.

So while I wouldn't credit one person I would credit a group of people that saw a pressing long term issue that needed to be worked on, put in steps to focus on it, recruited the right people to help action the plan and then took the required steps/actions.

The Sydney Swans have secured the signatures of Robbie Fox, Hayden McLean, James Bell, Joel Amartey and Michael Knoll for season 2020.

The Sydney Swans have secured the signatures of Robbie Fox, Hayden McLean, James Bell, Joel Amartey and Michael Knoll for season 2020.

Interesting that Hirst isn't among those names.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back