List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:

There’s no reason at all to assume it’s because the cap is tight. So tired of that fire being lit on here without anything to substantiate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. If you look at list there are a few who would have good contracts but the vast majority (because of age) would be closer to draftee contract value than not.

Players attracting good contract

Franklin
Heeney
Mills
Parker
Kennedy
Rampe

I would be surprised if we have a problem. If they were smart they would have brought forward some of the contract $ to players like Franklin to create leeway in 2021 and beyond.

There's a truckload of unsigned players!

The one year extension of jpk so early is a curiosity. Surely the priority had to be on re-signing Dawson, Stephens, Parker, Hewett, McCartin etc.

Maybe he has agreed to take a massive haircut. Hopefully the contract is closer to minimum chips than the $600k+ he is probably on or he selflessly adjusted his contract pay down for this year in return for an extension for 2021.

If they were smart they would have brought forward some of the contract $ to players like Franklin to create leeway in 2021 and beyond.

The AFL barred us from varying Buddy's contract by a cent in any direction.

The one year extension of jpk so early is a curiosity. Surely the priority had to be on re-signing Dawson, Stephens, Parker, Hewett, McCartin etc.

Maybe he has agreed to take a massive haircut. Hopefully the contract is closer to minimum chips than the $600k+ he is probably on or he selflessly adjusted his contract pay down for this year in return for an extension for 2021.

The AFL barred us from varying Buddy's contract by a cent in any direction.

Was 10 years ago and am I correct in saying no other club has suffered the same restriction?. If that is true then their restriction is unenforceable.

I'm thinking Kennedy was give a 1 year extension at much lower contract

I think looking at this closely we can project we have a bit of cap room.

buddy is on $1.5m this year and $1m next year. We don’t have too many contracts beyond 2022 so it’s not like we have pushed the money out everywhere.

also the % of players out of contract highlights we haven’t pushed back a pies level of money. Parker Kennedy and Reid are who we would have primarily have done this with any they Hopefully will be on way less from next year.

Heeney and mills- probably had money pushed back, but it looks likes that’s probably it.

It is quite possible we're squeezing contracts not because of cap tightness but because of trying to get down to the cap floor and create space to be banked.

That might explain why the gossip is confusing for journalists trying to figure out the situation because it would mean agents know we're negotiating in a way that suggests cap tightness, while the club also signals that there's room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawson will get offers $700K+

Hewett may get offers around $450K+

Stephens would get a sizeable offer plus guarantees he will play. He would be best 22 in most teams.

No idea about Gould.

Of the guys left without contracts at this stage for next year, I'd split them up into groups as follows:

Young to mid-age guys who would be of interest to other clubs:

Tom McCartin
Jordan Dawson
George Hewett

Young guys who are yet to fully prove themselves but have shown enough to suggest the club would want to retain them:

Dylan Stephens
Sam Wicks
Hayden McLean

Young guys who are yet to prove themselves and probably aren't priorities to be re-signed (but still certainly have potential to show what they can do):

Malachy Carruthers
William Gould
Barry O'Connor
Matthew Ling
Marc Sheather

Mid-aged guys who have played some senior footy but probably aren't of much interest to other clubs:

Joel Amartey
James Bell
Kaiden Brand
Ryan Clarke
Robbie Fox
Colin O'Riordan
Ben Ronke
Sam Gray

Veterans who I don't think are at any real risk of being poached by other clubs - they're committed to the club and I doubt would want to leave at this stage of their careers:

Sam Reid
Luke Parker
Josh Kennedy
Callum Sinclair
Sam Naismith (added in because I doubt other clubs would touch him given his injury history)

The Swans winning games while playing the awesome footy they are is very timely.
when signing a contract, money is a big factor, opportunity to win flags also a big factor, as is game time..... place, enjoyment and loyalty also?

I reckon it is now truly believed by all the young crew that 'If They Stick Together', they'll win flags.
Last years Hub life seemed to be used as kind of like an extended pre-season camp and team bonding experience - pretty positive experience, so credit to the Swans coaching and management
Ive never seen a Swans injury list as small as it is at the moment.. Players like Stephens, Ling, Gould are very likely to get games this year.. It generally takes about 30 players to get through the season
Ill back all the young crew to re-sign

ps. there was a big turnover in fitness and physio staff this year.. no injuries.. luck or good management? maybe a bit of both.
pps. JPK's role in 2022 may be a player/coach/mentor/support kind of role - easing pressure on the soft cap and not taking too much out of the salary cap????

He's played a total of 2 games in 4 seasons! I like Naismith but we must be desperate for rucks if we're willing to offer him a contract extension before he's back from injury

I'm not even a massive Naismith fan and even I can see this extension makes sense. Sinclair is most likely done at the end of this year. We can't just assume that we'll find another ruck solution like Hickey during this year's trade period. So retain the other ruckman on the list for another year, and give ourselves some breathing room. It's only one year and he would be on SFA $-wise having played under 30 games. It's a low-risk, high-reward re-signing.

I'm not even a massive Naismith fan and even I can see this extension makes sense. Sinclair is most likely done at the end of this year. We can't just assume that we'll find another ruck solution like Hickey during this year's trade period. So retain the other ruckman on the list for another year, and give ourselves some breathing room. It's only one year and he would be on SFA $-wise having played under 30 games. It's a low-risk, high-reward re-signing.
No point in signing him now compared to the end of the year after he's proven himself for this season. Can't imagine many clubs were chasing to steal him from us. It's a risk which wasn't necessary.

No point in signing him now compared to the end of the year after he's proven himself for this season. Can't imagine many clubs were chasing to steal him from us. It's a risk which wasn't necessary.

I dunno... Rucks are always in-demand. We gave up a highly-rated, contracted key defender to secure a second-rate has-been at his fourth club. (Little did we know how good he would be!)

I think any uncontracted ruckman this year, no matter how good or bad, proven or unproven they may be, will be a hot commodity during the trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back