List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 22-NOV-2023)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Errol Gulden
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
James Rowbottom
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
So he is a gun afl player?
I think to be fair he has not played enough games yet. I am in the yes camp. But with our depth more players have to wait for their chance. This does not mean that they are not good. I do not get why posters on here do not see that. Our list is so healthy we have gun under 21s not getting a game. That should. That is very good. And yet we get paranoia.

I really don't understand where Stephens went from impressing in his first year to becoming average and then walking away from the club?

**** me. Some perspective is needed around here. Stephens is not some rookie pick floundering in the reserves, miles from the senior team with no guarantee of a contract at the end of the year. He is a top five selection, who is only second in the waiting queue for his position, with a guaranteed contract coming to him at the end of the year.

He won't be panicking about his position right now. The club wouldn't be panicking about his position right now. Nor should we be.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Stephens was drafted at the start of last season, played 8 games in his first year, had his good moments, had his bad moments.

Averaged 12 disposals at 61% efficiency. Ran and tackled well.

First year had to deal with all the issues affecting the season, this year had an early injury hiccup.

He's a second year player, who I'm sure will get an opportunity at some stage this season (constantly in the emergencies) and then up to him to take his chance.

Far too early to call him a gun or a bust or be particularly concerned about his contract status.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I really don't understand where Stephens went from impressing in his first year to becoming average and then walking away from the club?

**** me. Some perspective is needed around here. Stephens is not some rookie pick floundering in the reserves, miles from the senior team with no guarantee of a contract at the end of the year. He is a top five selection, who is only second in the waiting queue for his position, with a guaranteed contract coming to him at the end of the year.

He won't be panicking about his position right now. The club wouldn't be panicking about his position right now. Nor should we be.
I am a glass half-empty kinda guy, I'll admit that.

And yet the Swans do typically lock away their 1st round picks pretty early. Stephens is becoming a bit of an anomaly.

I am a glass half-empty kinda guy, I'll admit that.

And yet the Swans do typically lock away their 1st round picks pretty early. Stephens is becoming a bit of an anomaly.

As I said a few weeks ago, they will sign him up. I am 100% certain of that. What I'm not certain of, and what I think the club will be waiting to figure out, is how long they sign him up for.

I bet they'd love nothing more than to lock away their 20-year old top five selection on a three year deal, or even a five-year Callum Mills-esque deal. But they're not gonna do that off such limited exposure.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Stephens last two games last year were very good IMO. He will be fine, just missed his run at the start of the year due to injury and it’s a difficult team to break into right now.

His time will come probably sooner rather than later. If there were any serious issues with him he wouldn’t be making the emergency bench / named as sub.

I would think we’d try and get a 1 year contract extension at the very least.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I like basically all the posters here, but I must admit, the constant "x player going leave" is incredibly tiring. Sure, if there was one iota of proof, but there isn't. When was the last time a first-round pick has left a team in 2 years? Hell, someone like Dow, who took forever to get game time in a quite frankly disappointing Blues outfit stuck with them.

But noooo, Stephens, who has just spent a year in a hub with the most exciting team around is going to run away to SA.

That's ignoring the fact that he grew up in rural VIC, that he moved to SA to further his footy career, and the fact that he has been known to put himself out of his comfort zone.

Also, who the hell wants to go back to Adelaide as a 20-year-old? Maybe if you want to settle down, but I could much easily see him going to a VIC club than an SA club.

I just don't understand why we need to search every possible negative thing that could happen to our list.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I like basically all the posters here, but I must admit, the constant "x player going leave" is incredibly tiring. Sure, if there was one iota of proof, but there isn't. When was the last time a first-round pick has left a team in 2 years? Hell, someone like Dow, who took forever to get game time in a quite frankly disappointing Blues outfit stuck with them.

But noooo, Stephens, who has just spent a year in a hub with the most exciting team around is going to run away to SA.

That's ignoring the fact that he grew up in rural VIC, that he moved to SA to further his footy career, and the fact that he has been known to put himself out of his comfort zone.

Also, who the hell wants to go back to Adelaide as a 20-year-old? Maybe if you want to settle down, but I could much easily see him going to a VIC club than an SA club.

I just don't understand why we need to search every possible negative thing that could happen to our list.
Because we signed L.Taylor to a 3-year contract 😣

And traded Mitchell for screw-all

And sold the farm for Tippett

And got Simon Hawking instead of Simon Black

And drafted Ryan Fitzgerald

And let Simon Minton-Connell go to Hawthorn

And ...... I'm sure we did some dumb stuff in the 70's too.

*note*: tongue was firmly in cheek when this post was crafted. Abuse will thus be greeted with disdain.

I agree, but I am also going to counter this with a very real concern, which is that Hayden McLean could end up leaving.

Buddy is obviously Buddy, and I can't say a bad word about Reid's performance so far this year, but I think we will look like geese if we let a 22 year old who is age appropriate with the bulk of our squad go because we played two blokes in the twilight of their careers.

I think he has shown too much promise for us to not be getting regular games into. This isn't a case of "which youngster out of Hayward or Warner should play round 1?" or "which kid plays on the wing for us out of McInerney or Stephens?"

This is a young key forward who is performing, give or take, at the same level as a 29 year old, and is more able to play every week than the 34 year old. Yet we're not giving him the same opportunities that nearly all of our other kids have had. He will only cop these "stiff to be dropped" situations so many times before he rightfully looks for opportunities elsewhere. And they will be there. And I bet he'll come good.

I'm not saying play him over Buddy. But I think the Reid conversation is something that we should seriously be having.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
He isn’t a gun afl player atm
I think we have a best 27 or so.
I think in the current climate where we are putting teams away with scores over 100 at 3 quarter time talk of players not getting a game being not AFL standard is amusing. It is hard to get a gig. That is good. Do Richmond supporters fear their players will leave if they dont play regularly.
I think just let the games roll on. Injuries will occur. Players will come in and do well.
I just do not get the pessimism and Paranoia.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree, but I am also going to counter this with a very real concern, which is that Hayden McLean could end up leaving.

Buddy is obviously Buddy, and I can't say a bad word about Reid's performance so far this year, but I think we will look like geese if we let a 22 year old who is age appropriate with the bulk of our squad go because we played two blokes in the twilight of their careers.

I think he has shown too much promise for us to not be getting regular games into. This isn't a case of "which youngster out of Hayward or Warner should play round 1?" or "which kid plays on the wing for us out of McInerney or Stephens?"

This is a young key forward who is performing, give or take, at the same level as a 29 year old, and is more able to play every week than the 34 year old. Yet we're not giving him the same opportunities that nearly all of our other kids have had. He will only cop these "stiff to be dropped" situations so many times before he rightfully looks for opportunities elsewhere. And they will be there. And I bet he'll come good.

I'm not saying play him over Buddy. But I think the Reid conversation is something that we should seriously be having.
Not you too.

Not you too.

I think it's a valid concern with McLean. He would be looking at the first month of 2021 so far and thinking this is how it's gonna be for him for the next two years. In and out, in and out, with no continuity. He could wait around for injuries, but why would he? He was a popular junior so will already be on the recruiters radars, not helped at all by the fact every second or third week the team line-ups will read, "H. McLean (omitted)".

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

I do wonder what the conversations with McLean would be like. He would know his place, and he would know what he needs to do to get into Reids role.

I'm not too worried about McLean, but I would just hope that he is being given a metric to perform to, so that he isn't just automatically being left out.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Because we signed L.Taylor to a 3-year contract 😣

And traded Mitchell for screw-all

And sold the farm for Tippett

And got Simon Hawking instead of Simon Black

And drafted Ryan Fitzgerald

And let Simon Minton-Connell go to Hawthorn

And ...... I'm sure we did some dumb stuff in the 70's too.

*note*: tongue was firmly in cheek when this post was crafted. Abuse will thus be greeted with disdain.
Must admit that Taylor signing was a head-scratcher. a bit of hindsight helps, but gosh, he's behind about 4 other small forwards

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it's a valid concern with McLean. He would be looking at the first month of 2021 so far and thinking this is how it's gonna be for him for the next two years. In and out, in and out, with no continuity. He could wait around for injuries, but why would he? He was a popular junior so will already be on the recruiters radars, not helped at all by the fact every second or third week the team line-ups will read, "H. McLean (omitted)".
I will just say that that is possibly the worst post of your career. I should laugh but I want to cry.

Back